Shelties - Does anyone have one? General Chat

Discussion in 'Shetland Sheepdog' started by alfiesblue, May 31, 2013.

1. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma

Shelties - Does anyone have one?

Does anyone on here have a sheltie?

If so do you mind sharing your experience and some pics too? :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Laurabehjet

Laurabehjet New Member

Name:
    I don't have one, I have a border collie but I would love a sheltie next! Understand they are extremely similar in personality to collies but more sensitive.
  4. Pookin

Pookin New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    We have a little sheltie, we got her after reading a listing on a free ads site where she was going free to a good home. After she settled in, slimmed down and was brushed up she turned out to be a very jolly and happy dog.

[​IMG]

This is her enjoying the sun the other day. She does take a lot of grooming so you have to enjoy daily brushings.

I have met more over sensitive/weirdo border collie type things than I have shelties, that said the shelties I have met have all been not fond of shouty folk and have brains like sponges so still sensitive.

[​IMG]

She is a fantastic little dog and my partner says we always have to have a sheltie he loves the breed!
  5. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    :grin:
    Now I want one:007: She's so beautiful.
  6. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    I had a Sheltie. They are fantastic dogs but need alot of mind stimulation so they don´t get bored as they are super smart. They are one of the best breeds for agility, flyball and other dogs sports exept maybe watersports. Although some shelties I´ve known do love water.

Shelties do shed their coat twice a year but that can be maintained by daily brushing.

I would take care of where you do get your sheltie from because although it is normal for them to be a little aloof with strangers, some are simply fearful of everything by nature and this breed needs to be socialized from early on to keep from becoming neruotic.

They need exercise like all other dogs but they are not as hyper as a lot of herding dogs can be and due to their size easier to accomidate in smaller living arrangements than border collies and rough collies.

I have never heard anything but good things about them with children, other dogs and animals in general.
  7. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    Thank you for the replies. I have always owned rough collies, was born into them and I currently have one now. I was going to get another rough, but I have ongoing health problems which do not seem to be going, so I am currently thinking about down sizing!

I know they are not the same, but I adore the rough/sheltie look and coat and temperament.
    Alfie is a smaller rough, but I struggle when he refuses to go in the car (as it seems many roughs object to!) and small thinkgs like that are making me consider a sheltie.
    There are certain lines I like the look of and sound of too, so I will have to begin researching!

Pookin, your girl is absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing her lovely pics!