Shih Tzu and Toilet Training?! Training

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Pinkshopper, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Pinkshopper

Pinkshopper New Member

Name:
    Pinkshopper

Shih Tzu and Toilet Training?!

Hi all,

I'm very new here and this is my 1st post! :grin: I'm sure the above title/ problem that I'm experiencing might have been covered previously but I just want some tips/advice on how to tackle the bad toilet manners of my new Shih Tzu.:cry:

I've never own a Shih Tzu before but fell in love with them because they're so affectionate and lively, :p Gizmo was 9 weeks when I bring him home around 2 weeks ago, he is perfect apart from weeing and pooing everywhere he wants, I've another puppy few months back which is a Japanese Akita Inu and have no problem toilet train him and he never have accident since probably 5 months now. I've research all the training methods and have followed them as much as I can.

We have a big garden which I bring Gizmo out after food and every hour when I'm home and also there are training pads with the scent sprayed on top as well both downstairs kitchen and 1 upstairs landing. So far, he just did it wherever he goes, occasionally on the pads (out of luck I guess) or just missed the pad slightly.

My problem is that I never own such a small breed and find it difficult to even see if he had wee or wanting to or is weeing at all!!:-( So, even though he might have done it in the garden, I won't know and therefore can't give the praise or reward that I wish. This is the difficult part I found compare to training my other puppy who is a large breed and it is very obvious when they're doing the business.

So, my question is, does some of you come across this problem before, if so any advice or tips on how to solve or teach him to do it on the pad or outside?

Thanks!!
    Pinkshopper x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    Watch the tail. When they squat to eliminate, they hold their tail up out of the way. If they are just sitting, the tail may be on the ground.
  4. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Firstly, I would get rid of the pads. They only confuse the pup. On one hand you are praising him when he uses the pad (inside the house), but on the other hand you are probably telling him off verbally if you catch him in the act elsewhere in the house. Dogs don't generalize so you need to be consistent in your methods.

Secondly, I know exactly what you mean about toilet training small breeds. We have only ever had gundog breeds with the exception of two, so getting our little Yorkie was quiet the shock. As you say, it is very easy for them to sneak off, do their business and then for you do not notice. BUT, as with any other breed, the only way to crack it is to watch them like a hawk. The sure sign that they need to go is when they start sniffing the ground (often in a circling motion); at least that is usually the case for number 2's!
  5. Pinkshopper

Pinkshopper New Member

Name:
    Pinkshopper
    Thanks so much for the tips! :grin: I agreed with getting rid of the pads as it can be confusing, since he have access to garden quite often, that's no reason for him not to learn and do it outside.

I've no problem knowing he is ready to do their number 2's but it is the weeing that I can't detach because he don't seem to sniff much or go in circles much for wee wees, so I don't notice when he is doing in the garden becos the grass are wet anyway compare to when he does it in the house which of course leave a yellow patch!:?

I'll keep watching his every move until he master it! He's having his second jab this Sat, so I can bring him out for proper walks more and hopefully will be doing it outside more.

Thanks again! xx
  6. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    .........................and above all take him out at every opportunity certainly every half hour. every meal, when he wakes up etc etc but stay with him when he is out,cos he will only want to come back in.The only useful thing I can think ofto do with the pads is to take a one thats been wee'ed on and brick it down in the garden where you want him to go, hopefully he will be attracted to the smell.
    Dont forget he is only a baby,anyway Good Luck sure it will all come together soon

Jeanette
  7. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    One thing I might add is I think you are giving him too much space and until you are sure he knows it is only for outside then you can give him more room. The kitchen or an x-pen would be fine and still give him some room.

another idea

I have found with toy breeds some will not want to go out when it is extremely cold so I never found the piddle pads confusing and it's nice when you are going to be gone longer than an hour with your pup so small. Older dogs can find relief in an x-pen with a pad down for them. I would wipe my pad over an area she used outside and put it down inside, just in the beginning and until they caught on. The ones that are treated are tooooo expensive. Good Luck Also if it's close to the pad, it's still lot's of excitement and it's "Good Boy" with lots of pats and a very sm. treat now and then. When they are turning in a circle at a few months old, they can mean well and miss.:grin:
  8. Pinkshopper

Pinkshopper New Member

Name:
    Pinkshopper
    Thanks you all...sadly still no progress! It doesn't help that I've to go back to work after a break, at least husband is around every few hours to take a look at Gizmo, he is losing his patience though as he get used to the older pup Hanzo who is very well trained by now. Anyway, Gizmo is do it anywhere he please and we're just not quick or switch on enough to catch him as he tend to sneak away to another room and does it! Thing is he was left with Hanzo in the garden for a few hours yesterday and when my husband returns and let them both in the house, Gimzo went straight to the living room, wee and poo! So, seems like he is waiting to want to do it inside!!! Now hubby just want to keep him in Kitchen with his pen when we're out to make sure he does it in the kitchen...my thinking is that he still won't learn, just being force to really?! Am I wrong in thinking that?

When I caught him weeing in the garden yesterday, I gave him a big praise and I hope he learn it that way but waking up to clean poo up 2 nights in a row now at 2am and 4am is not fun!!

Any more thoughts will be much appreciated!! x
  9. Amie68

Amie68 New Member

Name:
    Amie
    I know this is from 2009 was wondering if the toilet training worked In the end ?