Shih tzu vs Malshi vs Shipoo Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by sam1234, Apr 30, 2022.

1. sam1234

sam1234 New Member

Name:
    Sam

Shih tzu vs Malshi vs Shipoo

Hello,
    I’m new here. I’m doing some research in preparation to adding a doggie to my family.

Does anyone have any insight into owning a Shih tzu, Malshi (Shih tzu cross Maltese) or Shipoo (Shih tzu cross poodle)?

What are their temperament/ behaviour differences etc?
    Thank you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    The biggest difference would be that you wouldn't know what the coat type would result from a Poodle cross, or what body shape or head type it would have. All three will need regular thorough grooming, but the pure-bred Shih Tzu will have the most consistent type of coat. The Maltese coat is likely to be softer, and a toy cross could be smaller or lighter - again depending on which parent was the more dominant.
    Personally I'm not a fan of deliberate cross breeding. Though individual specimens can be very cute looking, they are usually bred with cash rather than type in mind, and you really have no idea what the finished dog will look like. Unless you are providing a forever home for a welfare pup, I would always recommend buying a pedigree puppy from a trusted breeder, who health tests where appropriate. Either the Kennel Club or the Breed Club will give you the contact details for a registered breeder - or you could visit a show and speak to some breeders, (after the judging is best).
  4. sam1234

sam1234 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Helidale likes this.
    Thanks so much for the info! :)
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I agree. In addition, with a cross breed (a dog that is a mix between two breeds), you have no idea what traits the dog will get - not just in looks, but in personality also.

In truth, a malshi and a shipoo is simply a mutt. They are not breeds in and of themselves. They are no different than any other mixed breed dog - regardless of their cute name.

I would suggest contacting breeders through the shi tzu kennel club. The club members agree to a code of ethics regarding breeding. In addition, they do rescues and you might be able to find a shih tzu mix puppy.

One last thing: if any breeder, whether purebred or crossbreed, you speak to calls them a shi-t zu, run. The correct pronounciation is sheed zu or sheet zu. Calling them a shi-t zu is a clear sign that they are not in it for the betterment of the breed. In fact, many backyard breeders get into this breed simply because they are attracted to this mispronounciation.