Should Golden Retrievers... Movement General Chat

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by Mahooli, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky

Should Golden Retrievers... Movement

....move close behind?
    Becky
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Am I being stupid? Don't understand the question.....
    [​IMG]
  4. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    When looking at them trotting away from you their back feet are almost (or are) touching each other as they walk. I've been told that's normal for retrievers but I want to know if it's correct, because I don't believe it is!
    Becky
  5. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    Well Megs doesn't, you mean back feet yes??

She does have a wiggly trot, but I have never noticed her back almost touching each other.
  6. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Wouldn't have thought so Becky -

found this

When trotting, gait is free, smooth, powerful, and well co-ordinated. Viewed from front or rear,legs turn neither in nor out, nor do feet cross or interfere with each other. Increased speedcauses tendency of feet to converge toward centreline of gravity,

and this

Well bent stifles (angulation between femur and pelvis approximately 90 degrees) with hockswell let down. Legs straight when viewed from rear. Feet medium size, round and compactwith thick pads. Excessive hair may be trimmed to show natural size and contour.
  7. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Yes the back legs!
    My understanding is that for most breeds, when on the move, the legs should be straight, in other words you should be able to draw a straight line up through the rear pasterns and the feet shouldn't be coming in close together. I'm beginning to understand the words on my puppy puzzle DVD that some faults are so common in some breeds that they are now viewed as normal but aren't correct!
    Becky
  8. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Thanks for that, explained it far better than I did lol!
    Becky