Should I get a dog or bitch? Questions

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by DottyJean, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DottyJean

DottyJean New Member

Name:
    Dorothy

Should I get a dog or bitch?

I have two neutered male Lhasa Apsos - one is 4 years old and the other is 18 months.
    I want to get a whippet but am not sure whether it should be a dog or bitch.
    I would quite like a female, but, even though my boys are neutered, are they likely to become competitive over a female, even though she will be neutered too?
    On the other hand, will 3 neutered males live in harmony?
    Finn and Frodo get along famously and, as whippets are very gentle dogs, I can't imagine that it would be a problem, but I would love to hear what people, who have several dogs already, think.

Many thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I find that a bitch will always rule over males. :lol: If she`s neutered they won`t compete, IMO.
  4. DottyJean

DottyJean New Member

Name:
    Dorothy
    Good news! Of course it's always easier to find dogs than bitches, so I'll probably have to wait longer, but it will be worth it!
  5. tansox

tansox New Member

Name:
    Christine
    I have three castrated males all living together harmoniously. Two Rotties and one JRT X. They are great friends and play continually, but on the whole, I'd say the JRT was in charge!:)
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Nobody can tell for sure.

There are people who have entire males who do not compete over a female, and those who have neutered males who fight over a female.

There are entire males who live in harmony and neutered ones that do not.

ANY change in the household dynamics can result in all sorts of things.

There are no guarantees.

People can only tell you about THEIR personal experiences with THEIR dogs in THEIR households which may or may not be of help.

Good Luck
  7. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I have 2 neutered males and a spayed female and the boys have never fought over her, even when she was entire and in season.
  8. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    My situation with the dogs is a strange one but I have 1 neutered male, 1 entire male and 1 entire female. Neither fight over her and she rules the roost!
  9. Parkers

Parkers New Member

Name:
    Lara
    I think it is up to your current dogs. Have you noticed which gender they get along better with outside of your home?

I have three females and two males, touch wood - I never had a problem with any of them :)
  10. dougs85

dougs85 New Member

Name:
    Dougs
    great question, i have a spayed female who is DA and an entire male they get on fine i was thinking about getting another female pup it sounds like a recipe for disaster i know but my sister got a pup and my bitch would growl, bark at it as it kept anoying her, but she lets the pup lick her lips. she jumps on the bed to get out of its road has never attacked it even tho. the pup would be a strong bull breed the same as the 2 i already have? any advice welcome
  11. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I have three neutered males and two neutered females, one 14 and one 2. The youngster rules the roost completely to the point that my next pup will have to be a male.
  12. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I Have an unspayed bitch, 2 neutered males and as of yesterday, one entire male.

The un-neutered male is only 6 months old so won't be neutered anytime soon.

Zane (my oldest GSD) is almost 4 years old and although he and Yiannis (3 years old) don't compete over Jenzi as such, if she's in season, Zane won't allow the other dogs anywhere near her.

This shouldn't really be a problem as she'll be spayed in January.

As SB stated, it's the luck of the draw. We can't tell beforehand which dogs will ro won't get along with one another. You could have a household with many bitches and males that get along fine, whereas in another household, that same combination of dogs could spell disaster.

I also agree with C&D in that the bitches are generally in charge. Jenzi orders the boys about and they actually behave themselves where she's concerned.

I think you have to weigh up your options, look for a breeder who produces dogs with temperaments that compliment those of your current dogs and I doubt you'll go far wrong.
  13. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    Pecking order in our house:

Cat > neutered bitch > neutered dog. Both the girlies are very very strong willed and very very stubborn, poor lad's just so easygoing he rolls with anything and everything bless him!

Cat, of course, rules everything within her furry little dominion - to the extent that we find occasions where we've got two dogs and two people on one sofa so the cat can have one to herself!