Show markings Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Karen63, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Karen63

Karen63 New Member

Name:
    Karen

Show markings

Does anyone know that if i want to show my puppy do her face markinhs need to be symetrical. The pup i might get has more brown on one side of snout.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    It will all depend on the breed in question, and what the standard say, symmetry shouldn't matter but it does give a better "look" , but a good dog is a good dog.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If this puppy comes from a successful show line, the breeder is probably the best person to answer this question. However, I have had a quick look on the Breed Information section of the Bernese Mountain Dog of Great Britain website, and it does state there that the markings should be as symmetrical as possible. There are a lot of photos on the site, and it is easy to see just how much the markings affect the perceived balance of the head.
    Are you in the UK? There could be differences in wording for other countries, but I would visit all the club sites and really digest what they have to say about the standard. Look hard at the photos - especially winners - and see if any of them have similar markings to the puppy you are considering. Hope this helps.