Showing our gundogs Showing

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by random, Nov 13, 2005.

1. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel

Showing our gundogs

Hey i've just joined this group so bear with me! :lol:

I'm hopefully going to be showing Maddy my Weimaraner, she starts ringcraft in a few weeks (after her basic obedience is done;)) I have never shown a dog before and wondered if anyone had any tips or advice on showing in general, but especially aimed at showing a gundog.

I will be meeting up with her breeder at a lot of the shows, who will also be showing her mum and brother, as he has said a lot of judges go and reputation and if I stick with them and let it be known Maddy is one of their pups i'll be fine!

What does everyone think/know about this? I'm totally new to the showing world!

Thanx guys xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. amts

amts New Member

Name:
    AnneMette
    I´ve been thinking about showing my dog aswell, as I´m thinking of breeding her. What I did was going to shows, talking to showppl and breeders and just asked all the Q´s I could think of, watched them, took pics and baicly being a pain in the butt :lol: :lol:

What I´ve seen and learned isnt excactly positive and tbh I´m not sure I´ll bother showing my dog :?
    Things might be diff with your breed but with labs like I have, its not something I feel is either serios or at any use.

I think what you´re doing so far sounds to be a good idea and then you can make up your own mind to the showworld and wheter its for you or not :grin:
  4. Natasha

Natasha New Member

I think you have made a good start already, ring craft while she is young meeting with the breeder who already is experienced in the showing world, helps alot when you have someone experienced in the showing world to help you out and offer support.
    I would also want to attend gundog shows that are held, day just for that group to see how they are judged and get a feel for it. Also going to crufts as there are alot of experienced people there, that dont mind you asking questions and thats a big help.
    I think there are a few people with gundogs on the board that already show so they will be able to give you more of an insight, good luck :grin:
  5. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Thanx guys :D

I couldn't make it to discover dogs but I will definately be going to crufts this year, I missed this year as I had just picked up my Daxie so I can't wait 'till next year :D
  6. Natasha

Natasha New Member

Excellent might see you there if your going on gundog day which I persume (hope you would be :lol: ). Its great there I went this year brill day out, and everything you could possibly need in one place :grin:
  7. bellaluna

bellaluna New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I'm going to a show (not certified) in december to just try it out, and see what the judges are saying.

If we get good reviews, I might just start attending some "real" certified shows.

I would say that ringcraft is a good start. I'm still trying to find a place where I can do some ringtraining.

Good luck:)
  8. Louie

Louie New Member

I think everyone else has given good advice :) . Ringcraft is the place to start, asking questions if your not sure of anything keeping close to your breeder and picking up tips from him is a good idea. Don,t expect to much to soon, when i started showing i must have attended about 6 shows before we got our first prize ticket a vhc (which is fifth place) but i was thrilled with that and the showing bug bit me hard, twenty years on i still love it. Your ringcraft will also hold seminars from time to time, giving you the opportunity to learn about conformation, growth, grooming, genetics, stewarding etc all worth attending and great fun, good luck :)
  9. Vizsla owner

Vizsla owner New Member

Name:
    Marlenush
    Azz likes this.
    I purchased my first Vizsla puppy and want to show her. It was always my dream to do it. She is 9 weeks and already knows how to stack and stand still when I tell her command "stand". She learn so quickly, its like she's a natural. The only thing I am worried about at this time is her overbite. The vet said it's slight and it may correct when she grows, just have to wait and see.