Size potential for my male Questions

Discussion in 'Cane Corso' started by Bowser and Mercedes, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Bowser and Mercedes

Bowser and Mercedes New Member

Name:
    Matt

Size potential for my male

Hello, my puppy cane corso Bowser just turned 5 months old, he is about 46 pounds, not sure on his height. His mom weighed 130 pounds, and his dad was 184 pounds, both parents were in great physical shape not over weight at all lean and healthy. Because of his genetics from his parents, i was thinking he may get close to his dads size, but the vet told me based on his current size she expects him to be around 120 pounds full grown. Does anyone have any very large cane corsos? Is he around the size he should be right now? And should I feed him more then I am? He gets 3 cups of food a day. 1 and 1/2 cups of dry food wellness puppy full grain brand in the morning, then 3/4 cups of that same dry food, plus 3/4 cups mix of fresh vegetables and canned alpo dog meat in the evening. I tried to look online about average cane corso sizes, they say average adults are between 99 and 110 pounds. Not sure if that's because alot of breeders in the U.S. sometimes breed them with other mix cane corsos. My little guy is 100% pure italian mastiff, no cross breeding in him at all. Any and all information is appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Also pictured here is my 2 and a half year old female rottweiler mercedes, she weighs 104 pounds, Bowser my cane corso was 16 weeks old in these pictures
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    PMack67 likes this.
    184 lbs? Never heard of a Cane Corso that large. They really aren't supposed to be ENORMOUS dogs... They tend to just have more health issues and shorter lifespans when bred to be too large.
  5. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Yes my vet was also shocked to hear about his parents sizes particularly his dad. Both dogs were extremely tall. The size of the head was near the circumference of a car steering wheel. I never saw a dog that big in my entire life. I'm not sure how his parents ended up getting that large, the both are pure breed and unaltered, look just like my puppy. And once again no over weight issues for either of the parents, both very lean, just super tall and super long. That's why I'm not so sure what to expect with his growth. But my vet told me he is at a healthy size right now and a good weight for his current age.
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Are all the dogs AKC registered and properly papered? If the male dog was 184 lbs and too tall and quite lean... There may very well have been some Dane or something else mixed into the lines. Doesn't sound like a pure bred Cane Corso to me.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Deleted post.
  8. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    I'm not sure, I didnt see any paperwork for the parents, I know that my puppy is registered though, I had to go online and switch my name over from the breeders name, this is his certificate. Also I dont have any exact pictures of his parents and even if I did I know that wouldnt prove anything but I have one photo here of another cane corso that I found that looks 99% identical to his father. If you think that this doesnt look like a pure breed cane corso let me know.

Attached Files:

9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    He will be the size that he will be and no amount of extra feeding will make him healthily bigger.

If his weight 'feels' right, ie he's not too thin or fat, then you are feeding the correct amount. If he feels too thin, ie you can see his ribs, backbone, hipbones, then increase his feed. If he feels too fat, ie you can't easily feel his ribs without excessive pressure, then cut down a little.
  10. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Chris B likes this.
    Thank you, yes he looks like he is in great shape, vet likes his weight, his legs are very long already. Once he hits the 60 pound mark I'll increase his food intake by 1/2 cup per meal per size feeding instructions. His temperament is very good also hes not aggressive with people at all, he only gets really fired up when he wrestles my rottweiler but its never anything too rough or mean, just a very competitive play fight. No dog has ever hurt the other dog. Hes also very good about not biting too hard during rough play with me or other people, he likes the occasion hand nipping, but hes rather gentle even with that aspect of his play
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    All way more important than his eventual size. Sounds like you've got yourself a good 'un
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Sounds better than my puppy. Bites hard. Plays too rough always. Acts bad a lot. Doesn't hand nip anymore... But we have rather old school methods of stopping it so that is probably why.
  13. Mikecorso4life

Mikecorso4life New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Old, mjfromga and CaroleC like this.
    My female was about 45-50 lbs also at 5 months. She didnt start rapidly growing until about 6-7 months. She grew over night... now she is 9 months at 80 lbs which is pretty average. I was hoping like many people she would be huge but now im kind of just letting nature takes its course.. also ive read that puppies, depending on there activity level may need more than recommended because they are so active and hyper. I fed mine around 4-6 cups. Sometimes you got to just listen to your dog instead of other people. As long as the stools are not runny and he seems happy and healthy then a little extra wont hurt.. just my opinion tho..
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    My puppy Malone is a mutt of super mixed origin. He is 5-6 months old and 40 lbs on the dot. He has like a thousand breeds in him. He sort of looks like a hairy Chocolate Labrador right now.

His Embark results show many smaller to medium sized breeds and a few semi large ones like Labradors and Golden Retriever. No giant breeds like Saint Bernard. They can be seen here:

http://embk.me/malone3?utm_campaign=cns_ref_dog_pub_profile&utm_medium=other&utm_source=embark

With that said... At 16 weeks, Malone was larger than my other dog was at 16 weeks by about 6 lbs. My other dog is now 7 years old and an ideal 90-95 lbs. He is currently a slightly chubby 100 lbs.

There is VERY VERY little chance that this puppy will reach 90 lbs. His mixes simply don't seem to allow that size. Embark predicted his adult weight at 41 lbs. This is clearly not accurate and across the board, Embark is known for screwing this element up.

At 1 year old, my older dog was about 70 lbs. My older dog appears to be predominantly Labrador and Great Pyrenees, but there's no way to be certain without a DNA test.

So much like in my case... depending on breed and just individual genetics, dogs may grow at different rates. This does not mean that the larger or faster growing puppy will be a larger dog.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Bowser and Mercedes I don't know whether the breeder pointed this out to you, but registration certificate shown in post #7 is not an AKC registration certificate. It appears to be one that can be issued online, and would not be valid for any official activities, such as showing or breeding under AKC rules.
    Of course, this does not mean that your dog is not pure bred, I have a rescue Beagle who came to me with a pedigree and similar 'Dog Club' papers, and he is definitely all Beagle. I was able to re-register him to compete in official KC working tests, but he would not be allowed in the show ring. None of this need bother you if Bowser is a companion dog.
  16. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC thanks for that info, didnt know that wasent an official form. Yes hes just a companion family dog. In 3 days he will be 8 months old. Currently taller then my rottweiler and about 76 pounds. Still thin and in great shape. He has alot of loose skin to grow into in the neck. And really big paws and feet.

Attached Files:

17. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Update

Bowser will be 14 months old on June 29th and he is currently 120 pounds even. Still on the slow grow food, blue wildeness large breed puppy. Switching to adult food at the 18 month mark. Here is a picture taken roughly 3 weeks ago of him with his buddy. Also a 2nd picture of him helping cook some dinner about a month ago ☺

Attached Files:

18. Johnson Stokes

Johnson Stokes New Member

Name:
    Johnson
    Hey man love your dogs, I myself could not decide between a Rottweiler or a cane corso to save my life, in my area it’s a little harder to find cane corso breeders let alone good ones. One day searching online I came across a rotticorso puppy about a hour and a half away. (Dad is 100 percent blue Italian mastiff and mom was 100 percent German Rottweiler) I had recently talked with the wife and we were going to go with the purebred rotti we found but something about this rotticorso puppy had me hooked. We got him at 8 weeks, he is about to turn 5 months Friday and weighs 46 pounds as of today. He is the smartest dog I have ever owned by far, already know sir, lay down, shake, high five, and come. It’s crazy lol anyways you have two great looking dogs and I hope my boy Kobe bean can grow to look as good as your boy bowser does.

Attached Files:

19. PMack67

PMack67 New Member

Name:
    PMack
    For a True CC to be that size(184 lbs.) He had to be cut with either a Great Dane, or English Mastiff or both.. He would still be considered CC but probably NOT registered with AKC. They have stopped allowing CC to be registered that do not Lready have registered parents or that were Not born outside of the United States due to all the cutting of the breed to get the size and look people want. CC just aren't that Big ! Lol
    At least not naturally with being cut with a larger Mastiff.
  20. PMack67

PMack67 New Member

Name:
    PMack
    Wow
  21. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt

Here is a current photo of him, he's not quite standing up all the way here he just got up high enough to kiss my wife. He's about 5'8" when he fully extends on his back legs, and weighs 140, he will be 2 years and 4 months on August 29th

Attached Files: