Size potential for my male Questions

Discussion in 'Cane Corso' started by Bowser and Mercedes, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    He must be a gentle giant - you wouldn't be able to cope with him otherwise.
    What is he like with other dogs? Have you had any hairy moments, and how much does he eat?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bowser and Mercedes

Bowser and Mercedes New Member

Name:
    Matt
    Been a long time since I logged in here whoops, but he is literally the sweetest guy. He does do his job well however, when in public he stays even with me, if I take 1 step up he takes one step up, he's pushing up against me at all times when we are around other people/animals, if anyone walks on our direction with eye contact he will low warning growl, if get close enough he will moderate growl, that's the extent though. Because as soon as I start to approach the oncommers he knows it's fine and will greet. Usually embarrassed with his head down not trying to make eye contact with the new greeted. He understands if we approach that it's friendly. Never even came close to an incident with him going crazy on anyone/any other animal. The closest he got was to his everyday buddy the rottweiler, they play fight VERY HARD, to the point where I have to break it up, usually gets bad once a month, but only thin that matters is when I go to stop it, they listen and stop, and then they got back to being buddies just seconds later. I don't blame him however, the rottweiler instigated it with him every time, she's alot smaller then him by at least 50 if not 60 pounds, but she pushes his buttons and hurts him sometimes so he retaliated to let her know it's not ok, no one has ever gotten hurt, mainly bark over bite situations. But they are both good dogs, never hurt or even came close to hurting themselves, or anyone else. And the heaviest the corso got to was 171 pounds... the bet said even though he didn't look fat, that he shouldn't be that big it's too much, so I got him to cut gown to 160, and he looks very good at that weight, and is still fast, quick, and has a ton of energy, at his peak he was eating 5 cups a day plus treats, now he's down to 4 cups a day, split into 2 meals of course, and not as many treats, the female rott is 107 pounds, she eats 3 cups a day, but a smaller portion of treats then him.(smaller pieces)

Attached Files:

4. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Some pics

Attached Files:

5. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    CaroleC likes this.
    The last one is sometimes when my wife gets done drinking her espresso she let's him smell the empty cup, he doesn't like the smell so he makes this funny mean face haha

Attached Files:

6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome back. Great pictures. Four cups doesn't sound a lot for a dog that size, but he clearly does well on it - a good doer as the horse people say!
  7. Bowser and Mercedes

Name:
    Matt
    Chris B and Helidale like this.
    Thank you! Wow almost another year since I've checked up, both dogs are doing well, they have had some new visitors recently, most people are afraid to come to my house for the first time to meet the dogs, but once they do, they always want to come back. Alot of our family/friends now are really interested in getting a rottweiler and or cane corso because they love these dogs. They love everyone that shows up and can't wait to greet/spend time with people. Truly amazing how people can go from being afraid, to admiring and loving dogs within a span of an hour. Proves that proper care and treatment of animals always ultimately dictates their character, and im happy that these dogs have shown many people just how loving and affectionate guard dogs can really be hope all is well with everyone!
  8. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome back. Glad to hear that you have two dogs to be proud of.
  9. PawWhisperer James

PawWhisperer James New Member

Name:
    PawWhisperer James
    Your Bowser sounds like a healthy and robust Cane Corso pup! It's important to remember that the expected size of a Cane Corso, or any large breed dog, can vary based on genetics, individual factors, and even gender. Since his parents were in great physical shape and he's showing a good appetite, it's likely he'll continue to grow well.

Your vet's estimate of around 120 pounds full-grown sounds reasonable, especially considering his lineage. To ensure he's growing at a healthy pace, it's vital to monitor his body condition and adjust his diet accordingly. Your current feeding regimen appears well-balanced, and you should continue to work with your vet to determine the right portions and nutrition.

Remember that, aside from size, focus on keeping Bowser healthy, well-socialized, and well-trained. Large breeds like Cane Corses can have specific exercise and training needs, so stay attentive to his overall well-being and enjoy the journey of raising this magnificent breed.
  10. lorq21

lorq21 New Member

Name:
    lorq
    I picked up a small dog on the streets, and I don’t know what to do with him, kick him out or give him a home.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Have you tried searching for his owner?
    I don't know the country you are in, but in the UK we have a duty to contact the police or the local authority dog warden.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Same in the US. Normally, there is a county regulation that states you must actively search for the owner for a set period of time before you can keep or rehome the dog. If you can't commit to that requirement, then you turn it in the the county/city animal shelter.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC and Toedtoes like this.
    Sounds like a wind up to me. Who goes on a dog forum saying he's thinking of throwing a dog out?