Skin problem Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Brooks421, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Brooks421

Brooks421 New Member

Name:
    Liam

Skin problem

Hi,
    First time posting here and was wondering if anyone’s Frenchie has had skin problems and been resolved? When I first picked him up he had bad skin on his head and back, he is now 9month and his back is still bad. He gets spots and constantly chewing his paws.

We have had him to the vets multiple times he got tablets for mites then antibiotics and now it just seems I am throwing money away every time we go because We never get further forward. Food wise he has been on Iams, Tails and now on AVA hypo-allergenic food, we also have cut out beef and lamb with no improvements.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Roman2391

Roman2391 New Member

Name:
    Antonio
    Hi, not sure if you've resolved this. Hopefully you raw have.

Food can sometimes cause these irritations. My Frenchie gets spots as you described everytime i give him raw food. I now use a good quality biscuit and cook whatever meat he occasionally has and haven't had these issues since.

I use Lily's kitchen atm but have a friend who uses ZD (allergy & skin care) which they say is excellent
  4. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Beautiful pup I hope he’s doing better. Have you consulted with your vet usually when people have these types of issues I see the most respected posters on here always recommend that first and foremost.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The OP did not come back Jeff, maybe because he did not get an instant reply? He did say that he had taken his dog to the vet multiple times and was prescribed medication/antibiotics but nothing seemed to help. Had I seen his post I would have asked whether his vet had done a skin scrape and plucked some hairs to check for an underlying cause, and/or suggested taking the dog to a different vet or asking for a referral to a canine dermatologist.

I also hope that his pup is OK now - it can be concerning when someone posts a query because they are worried about their dog but never posts again to let us know how it is doing.
  6. Brooks421

Brooks421 New Member

Name:
    Liam
    Sorry for not replying guys, I appreciate all the answers.
    Yeah we had him to the vet and they checked for mites etc and it all come back clear.

The patch on his back still has not covered and we are now on wainwright’s food and hopefully this improves his skin. We also monitored his paws when they become red and noticed they get really red around 1hr after he has been out for walks so we are going o try Piriton with him and see how he goes.

again sorry for the late reply guys
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you for coming back with an update Liam, although I am sorry to hear that your little Frenchie is still having skin problems.

Did your vet do any skin scrapes and plucked some hairs to check for a possible underlying cause, and/or suggest a referral to a canine dermatologist? I do not know anything about the breed but I believe that Frenchies can be susceptible to skin problems caused by various allergens. Other Breedia members can possibly help you regarding suggestions for food and which brand/type to feed.

You say his paws are getting red around an hour after he has been out for walks - what ground are you walking him on - grass or other vegetation?

Whatever the cause is, I do hope you can find the answer to fix it.
  8. Brooks421

Brooks421 New Member

Name:
    Liam
    No they didn’t test for anything like that, in all honesty I feel like they don’t really know what they are looking at, for example they done the scrape and said it’s not mites yet still give us 3 tablets for mites????.

No even if we don’t take him on the grass his paws seem to get red and he starts licking them for some time till we stop him ;(
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My opinion, for what it is worth, is to take your dog to a different vet for a second opinion. And I still think that you should ask for a referral to a canine dermatologist.
  10. Marine6212

Marine6212 New Member

Name:
    Marine6212
    Chris likes this.
    What are the treating the grass with? (Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc.?)
  11. pooch495

pooch495 New Member

Name:
    Mike H
    Our Bull Terrier was having skin problems which lessened when we switched him over to a raw "prey model" diet. They didnt competely go away until we added a tablespoon of plain yoghurt to his food daily. That did the trick. Hasn't had problems since and that was over a year ago. While it could have just been a coincedance, I think the proboitics in the yoghurt are what did it.
  12. pooch495

pooch495 New Member

Name:
    Mike H
    Sorry we are feeding him greek yoghurt, not plain yoghurt. You can feed both but apparently greek yoghurt has a higher concentration of probiotics which is why we are giving it to him.