Skunk stuck down in a hole Other pets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by who owns who, Jul 13, 2021.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC and Malka like this.

Skunk stuck down in a hole

So early this afternoon I was about to build rebar cages to go in the footings for my new building when what did I find at the bottom of a 4 foot deep and 14 inch wide hole... a skunk. I wasn’t sure what to do and I looked up to see if they could swim because I was thinking of flooding the hole to float it out. I called a local organization called native animal rescue and she suggested putting a board in the hole so it could climb out. After 2 hours it was still in the hole so I called again. She found a volunteer to drive over and try and help it. Her net was too wide so we made it narrower but the skunk wouldn’t budge, even when lightly prodded with a stick. She was brave, I was a wimp. Well she literally took maters into her own hands. She laid down and went head first with one arm into the hole and on her second attempt got herself far enough in to pull it out in her hand. She put it in a box, covered it with a towel and took it to the shade and cleaned the dirt out of its eyes. She could have gotten a face full of spray, but she was determined to help this creature, with no fear, and accepting that she might get sprayed in the process. We put its box down a little was down the dirt road, in the shade, and left it to calm down and go when it was ready. I’m so glad there are brave and carrying souls in our world. I tried to pull some pictures from the video but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll try again later
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Poor little skunk. I would have offered to send Tornado-dog over - he could have dug it out for you.

Glad she was able to rescue it. Sometimes the animals know you are trying to help and behave appropriately.

Years ago, I came home from work and was about to stick the key into the keyhole when I realized there was a beetle in the hole. It was stuck. You could see how he was trying to pull himself out by his front feet but it just wanted working. I found a small twig and maneuvered it into the keyhole so I could push from behind. After a couple pushes, he realized I was trying to help. So while I pushed from behind, he pulled from the front. After 20 minutes, he popped out. Poor thing was completely exhausted. He hung out on the porch for several hours just resting.

Oh, and I had to pee the entire time I was getting him unstuck.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Toedtoes likes this.
    "Oh, and I had to pee the entire time I was getting him unstuck."

My monitor is now covered with coffee - thanks for starting my day off with a giggle!

Skunks in a hole, beetles in a keyhole... and animal rescuers there to save them. ‍‍