Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer Discussions

Discussion in 'Slovakian Rough Haired Pointer' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Wow they are all georgous !!!

I have a 12 year old Weimaraner and they remind me of a Weimey with whiskers !! If i wasn't so head over heels in love with my Border Collies I would have one tommorrow !!!

never know maybe in the future, i like another mentioned will be keeping my eye on this breed for the future :0)

I had a long haired Weimaraner about 8 years ago, and at the time there were only a few hundred in the country, unfortunately we lost her due to closed pyometra when she was 3 years old - i was devasted, we never got another Weimaraner after we lost her - but still have Amber who is knocking on these days.

She was a gem of a dog - i will have to load some piccies of her on here under a separate thread.

Bye for now

Rachel
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I got to have my first stroke of one at Crufts yesterday!

I could see so much of them in Flynn...transfixed on food, fun loving etc.

It's a pity they were none in the show rings so I had to settle for just GWP's :-(
  4. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi,

Can I join the discussion?

I'm waiting to pick up my male SRHP puppy in a few week's time. He'll be called Grey, unless we change our minds again.

It would be great to talk to other owners or this breed. I'm first time dog owner and am trying to research everything so that I set off on a good path. I might be interested in gundog training if that's a good thing to do. I don't think that I will want to go to actual shoots but it might be a good thing to do some kind of working activity. I'm looking for positive training methods only.

I'm based in Margate, Kent.

Lou
  5. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Hiya Londonlou!

Congratulations on getting an SRP, what made you decide on one of those?

The Gundog Club do 8 week training courses and are excellent. I currently have mine going through his Grade One with them and the trainer is marvellous. They are pricey courses (mine was £141) and your dog has to be registered with them first (it's £12.50 for dog over 6 months, £7.50 for a dog under).

Have a look at this page for courses near you: link removed

Alternatively, you could join a local club but the Gundog Club use positive methods only.

Make sure you put some pictures up of Grey when you get him! What kennel is he out of btw?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  6. Sage-Lady

Sage-Lady New Member

Name:
    Darylle
    Hi all, I have had my SRHP for 2 weeks now. She is lovely and is now 9 weeks old. She will do sit, down and come all within two days of having her. She hates being left alone, even for a minute and whines like crazy.
    Toilet training is a bit hit and miss as she doesn't care where she is. Her bed is still a great place to mess and I thought dogs hated messing their beds. And she seems not to be able to hold it any longer than 2hrs [worse than a baby in the night] She is totally beautiful and forgiven when she cocks her head and bats her blue eyes.
    I chose her because I loved the colour, and wire hair. [Weimeraners are too smooth for me] and the temperament sounded good. I hope to train her as a gun dog so will be looking at courses etc. Any help gratefully received as I have never had a puppy before and would love to end up with a happy dog that everyone likes because she is well behaved.
  7. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    New pics of Purdey, who was 2 years old on Thursday.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Hope you like.
    David
  8. davidmh

davidmh New Member

Name:
    David
    And 30kg of cuddle bunny,

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

David
  9. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hiya,

Leanne - I chose an SRP because of temperament that I had read about and I wanted a large dog. I have an existing adult cat and I wanted a dog that I would be able to train to integrate well into the household (famous last words!). I'm getting my dog from Stormdancer. Thanks for the tips on the gundog training. It sounds like something this breed would really enjoy doing.

Sage- Lady - Congrats on getting your puppy! Isn't it normal at this age for a puppy not to be able to hold for more than an hour? Perhaps take her out more frequently so she doesn't mess her bed. Where did you get yours from? I wonder if the same plae because I saw a litter of older puppies when I was viewing mine a few weeks ago. I'm busily reading my books now on positive training methods.

Anyone looked into Turid Rugaas calming signals stuff?

Lou
  10. Sage-Lady

Sage-Lady New Member

Name:
    Darylle
    Hi Lou
    Yes she is a Stormdancer puppy. She can have gone minutes before and then still mess her bed or the rug if left. Her protest I think! I am using only positive training though. She loves food so will do anything to get it!
    I did ask - a couple of times, what the puppy was being fed on so I could keep it the same, I was given a puppy pack including the puppyfood and I am not sure that is what she was being fed before as she had the runs for 10 days till she settled in to her new food. Do check as it made life even harder in the toileting department.
  11. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Great pictures David, I think Purdey is gorgeous (Sarika too obviously and Max, lol!). 30kg eh? Flynn is only just over 26kg and he's 14 months old now, bit of a midget methinks!

Flynn's father is out of Ansona. The breeder sold his father on, I wonder where he is now...
  12. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Sage - I asked about food and was told it was the brand 'Pedigree' puppy food. Did she have the runs the first day?

My two kittens had an attack of the runs when we got them because of the stress of the move.

If the pups are upset on the Pedigree brand I might start him straight away on the CJS brand designed for working breeds and is cheap and has no nasty additives, or if I get some good advice from Britbarf group I can start on raw.

Lou
  13. Sage-Lady

Sage-Lady New Member

Name:
    Darylle
    Yes right from the very start. Settled now but only in the last 3 days. You may be right about the stress as she started with a 3 hour car journey. And then got introduced to our Patterdale & border collie.
    She likes stalking & hunting the ducks in the garden, she munches duck doo as her own treats now. She is a very noisy stalker. Her name is Freya
  14. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Sage - aw, sounds like it has settled down now. Bless her!

Look forward to seeing some pics of her.

David - I'm curious about the gundog training too, as it looks like something they really enjoy.

Lou
  15. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi all,

Grey is here! Had a 5 days of the runs but ok now after eating chicken and rice for last few days. He's lovely. We've had him a week and he's now very much part of the family.

Will try and add some piccies.

Lou
  16. Sage-Lady

Sage-Lady New Member

Name:
    Darylle
    I am so pleased you have him. Sorry you've had the runs as it makes toilet training so much harder
    Lokking forward to piccies.
    Freya has grown so much and is so lovely in nature and looks. She is admired wherever we go. Cars stop to look at her. I'm very proud.
    D
  17. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi D,

I get stopped all the way down the street when I'm carrying him. Paranoid someone will break in and nick him!!!! Toilet training has been fine if a little busier than it should have been. I'm following Ian Dunbar's method of sorts. So as soon as he's awake he's out, if he's asleep he's on his cushion or in his crate. Night time he's in the crate next to my bed and we do a loo run at 5am and then back to bed till 7.30-8am. So not bad at all really. Only time it's got messy is when hubbie looked after him for an hour!

Have you got piccies up?

Lou
  18. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    Hi,my S.R.H.P. is 11 months old and I think shes gorgeous, but I've always had weimaraners and have found her a lot harder to toilet train than any of them. But a lot easier to train in everything else although she tends to get bored doing the same thing over and over (I put this down to intelligance) wouldn't swap her for the world as she can be such a clown, and I cant look into those wise old eyes without smiling. We'll send you some pictures when I've worked out how to! Hope you have as much fun with Grey. Love Ros and Maggie and Diva (the weimaraner).
  19. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Hi Ros!
    Really nice to hear from you! I'm having a lot of fun with Grey, although being a novice dog owner I've taken it upon myself to uber researcgh stuff. I'm doing ok with housetraining I think. He doesn't mess he crate and he's managed the rest of the time, so not many inside accidents to speak of. But then I'm with him 24/7 atm and so he's not been left yet.

I have found he learns really quickly so I have to study ahead now what to teach him! I'm doing clicker training which seems to really work fast.

What I'm trying to work on asap is his separation from me. Crate training is going ok. He doesn't play or chew with his toys though in the crate. And if he's not in his crate I can't leave a room without all hell breaking loose. I'm about to start Turid Rugaas 'wait' and leave method to see if it helps building him up gradually.

Glad to meet another SRHP family!

Hopefully here are my pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lou
  20. Londonlou

Londonlou New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh dear! I'm still being useless as posting pictures. It didn't let me do it. Any tips?

Lou
  21. Colley1275

Colley1275 New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Are your piccies on a hosting site such as photobucket? if so all you need to do is copy and paste the IMG link into the body of the message - and hey presto - technology does the rest :grin:

There is a whole thread on posting piccies if you get stuck

Looking forward to seeing the photos.