Small working terriers Working Dogs

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by MarchHound, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MarchHound

MarchHound New Member

Name:
    Jeanna

Small working terriers

Im thinking of a small working terrier for my next dog in the future.

A. What breeds of small working terriers are there?

B. Anyone had one? What were they like?

C. How would you find a top-notch working terrier puppy?

So far Ive thought of JRT, PRT and Patterdales......
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Disclaimer - I know nothing.

Was under the impression "Small working terriers" pretty much came under "small working terriers" - Type rather than breed. Neighbour over the back of my Gran's has a brood of JRTs I'd describe as small working terriers. They mainly dine on rabbit.

Peruse the freeads? Mention of "Taking fur and feather", lamping etc, Horse & Hounds?
    Terrier shows?
    Farms?
    Word of Mouth?

Not sure I'd want one myself. Got no intention of working.

Add Fell/ Lakeland/ Border & Plummers to the list
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
  4. spockky boy

spockky boy New Member

Name:
    qwerty
    I think Helen on here may work her terriers?
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Any grief you had with yours growing up could be nothing compared to certain terriers ...
  6. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Have to say I don't know why anyone would want a working terrier unless they were going to work them. And I mean the work they are bred to do, not flyball or agility or something.
  7. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha

I am as likely to own a Plummer as I am a Malinois.
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I do like Plummer's...
  9. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I agree. They are often not compatible with pet homes.

There was a lady who lived near me who had two working Patterdale's as pets. She had to rehome one because they wanted to kill each other. The remaining one has killed a couple of cats, isn't dog friendly and now has to be muzzled and kept on lead at all times.
  10. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    8) Working terriers make great...............working terriers :lol:
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    The Patterdale bitch that is at my training club killed all of her owners fathers pet rabbits :O...
    She went to stay for the weekend and got out ...
  12. Luke

Luke New Member

Like the others have said.
    Also the difference one finds between a working bred Russell, and a pet bred russell...or russell type like you're lovely girl...is considerably vast. And Patts are a whole different ball game.
    Love them all, wouldn't have any again as can't offer the lifestyle they require these days. Lovely dogs all of them, in the right environment.
  13. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    If you are meaning me, I have borders who are mainly pets but do the odd bit of rabbiting and Tarn has done a bit of ratting.

The proper working terriers I know are a real mixed bunch. One of Tarn's litter went to a keeper and is a good worker, with a brilliant temp. I know some nasty terriers that you can't trust with anyone and I know one who spends her days asleep on a sofa and is really a cracking dog. He is having a litter off her and I would be seriously tempted if I wasn't already terriered up lol.

I would say it would be a bit of a minefield and you would have to know what you were looking for.

Helen
  14. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    To be honest mine would do the same in a heartbeat, so I wouldn't say that is specifically a working terrier thing!
  15. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    "Working terrier" could refer to any small terrier type really. Unless you're specifically looking for a terrier to work?

My own terrier girl was from working parents. A JRT mum and Yorkie dad who both worked on the farm as ratters. Missy would have made a good little worker herself I'm sure, but I never had the opportunity or the know how to get started.

She is very affectionate with people, but doesn't like other dogs at all. She's very obedient. A trainer once said "for a terrier she's actually very attentive and well trained" which I took to be a compliment :lol: The dog issues have been the most challenging and she's also a BIG barker! She's also very much a busy bee, always wanting to be doing something, always on alert, always ready to go. She's never happier then fetching sticks and being out in the countryside or the beach.

Fell terriers/Patterdale terriers are more intense to my knowledge then most other terrier breeds and are almost exclusively owned by people who do actually hunt with them.