Someone has been raiding the mailbox General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Someone has been raiding the mailbox

I can only seen the mailbox banks this side - the other ones are behind the bomb shelter where I cannot see them, but there were some teenagers trying to force open the bank that I could see. So I called the police and was told that if I did not know who these kids were, it was not the responsibility of the police.

And that if I could see them from my home I should go across the road and stop them, and if I did not and mail was stolen, it would be my responsibility.

There is nobody around as quite a few men have gone to afternoon services at the synagogue, so what am I supposed to do?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So frustrating! I take it that they were aware of your age, and limited mobility. It really makes me mad, how little anyone in authority seems to care these days.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole, whether the police were or were not aware of my situation, as far as they were concerned if I could see these kids, I should go and stop them. The nearest police station is in town and they seem to think that we do not matter.

OK, so I go across on Xanadu, which is not permitted as this is a religious Moshav but hey ho, so shoot me. And then get the risk of those teenagers of having a go at me? Thanks but no thanks.

The thing is that I doubt they were family members, as although by no means all teens here are perfect, most do, at least, know how to behave, especially on Shabbat. There used to be a gang of not-so-goods who took over an unused small building behind the macolet, but enough people [not including me] complained about them and they stopped pdq. But I have never known anyone trying to raid the mail boxes.

And of course I had to call the police - who was I supposed to call on the Moshav? Nobody here answers their phones on Shabbat.

I do not think that the mail bank was opened, and in any case only regular mail would be in it. But just as I did not like strange kids getting on top of the macolet, I do not like the mailboxes messed with. Especially as I am the only person who sees them.