Spaniel x Weimaraner???? Discussions

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by Jofelicia, Jun 3, 2011.

1. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Firstly, all your dogs are gorgeous

But secondly, Can you imagine a weim coloured springer! How cute would that look :0)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Fortunately that will never happen.
  4. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I did say "imagine" :grin:
  5. Taters

Taters New Member

Name:
    Ian
    And why not have more cross breeds? After all pedigrees are a result of cross breeding at some point were they not?

More importantly when you look at the health of many pedigrees in the UK the gene pool has become too small in the cause of pedgree perfection and as a result a good number are not living to the ripe old age they should. Not to mention the medical conditions they have to suffer during there live.

Sorry rant over .
  6. joto

joto New Member

Name:
    Joan
    So when can I expect my Pedigree Weimaraner who will be 15 in a few weeks time, to develop one of these medical conditions?

Aren't you doubling up on potential medical conditions by crossing 2 different lots of medical conditions?
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    The majority of cross breeds are bred either for money or because the owner wants to have a litter for self satisfication, not to create 'new' breeds or do anything productive with them.

Saying that "all pure breed were a result of cross breeding once" doesn't really mean anything, as once again, most people who cross two breeds are not trying to create a new breed.

In neither the Weimaraner nor the English Springer is the gene pool "too small" in the UK, so this is not true.

Crossing two breeds that share similar potential health problems (which Weimaraners and Springers do) will not make the problems go away.
  8. angied

angied New Member

Name:
    angie
    OMG! PAWSONBOARD!!!!I CANT BELIEVE IT I HAVE A SPRINGER CROSS WEIM CALLED CHARLIE! hes 8 now and hes as soft as they come no brain and lazy
  9. Taters

Taters New Member

Name:
    Ian
    Sorry, I was generally speaking and not being specific to these two breeds in this case.

It ist well known that certain pedigree breeds are a higher risk to certain illnesses. Just look at insurance quotes for Labradors, Alsatians and Retriever. I could go on.
  10. Taters

Taters New Member

Name:
    Ian
    The same could be said for breeders of Pedigrees too, surely? My cross breed cost a lot less than a pedigree Weimarner or Springer, so some pedigree breeders are in it for the money.

I was trying to make the point that all dogs are a result of cross breeding at some point. Granted not all are tryin to create a new breed. Cross - breeds seem to have a real stigma within the Pedigree dog world when they shouldn't.
    Comments on here have clearly proven that!

As stated in reply to previous post I was talking in general rather than Weimaraners and Springers, which is why I stated 'many pedigrees'.
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I met an ESS x Weimaraner today, and if they all share the nervousness this one did, I think I will pass thanks! ;)
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Compared to first generation cross breeds? not at all I'm afraid -- look at Labradoodles for example. Labradors and Poodles suffer from the many of the SAME genetic health problems (hip & elbow dysplasia, PRA, etc.), so why would breeding the two make them healthier?

I don't know how many insurance quotes you have been looking at for Labradors and other breeds, but my Labrador costs £20 a month in insurance which is not excessive.
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    And interestingly the Labradoodle has a hip BMS of 13, when both St Poodles and Labs come in at 14. Now surely if cross breeds were as healthy as some would have us believe, there would be a significant improvement in the score when crossing the two together as opposed to 1 measly point? Plus the highest scoring Labradoodle from the latest BVA stats came in at 92! :shock:
  14. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    sorry I havent read past the first page (and Charlie is a stunner!) but I just wonder now; what is a Jug? (as in dog)
  15. Pawsonboard

Pawsonboard New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Im assuming a Jack russle and pug cross...
  16. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    AAA, yes, its late.....:blush: and I'm not up on crosses :lol: theres just too many combinations for my wee brain!
  17. HannaDay

HannaDay New Member

Name:
    Hanna
    My male weimaraner mated with my springer and the puppies were gorgeous we had 3 black and white and 3 greyish/brown puppies, we have one of the greyish/brown ones well she's more brown now but shes got a lovely temperament very playful,friendly and loving.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
  18. michellem

michellem New Member

Name:
    michelle
    I also have a weim/springer croos named Persie and he is lovely but mad!!
  19. erindeanx

erindeanx New Member

Name:
    Erin
    Benny
    Weimaraner x english springer spaniel
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  20. erindeanx

erindeanx New Member

Name:
    Erin
  21. Anniebee