Spaying Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Samm1551, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Azz likes this.

Spaying

This has probably been covered elsewhere but I just wanted some advice. The vet has told me that I should spay Shadow before her first season. I have been told elsewhere to let her have a first season or she may become incontinent. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and Azz like this.
    My vet won't spay until a dog is at least a year old and/or, depending on the breed has finished growing. Something I totally agree with. Georgina was spayed at 14 months old, after her second season. She's a Shar-Pei a breed that is considered fully grown at one year old and she's never suffered any incontinence. It might be an idea to speak to Shadow's breeder for her views on the subject.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Azz likes this.
    My vet, who is all for spaying/neutering because of too many discarded dogs here, will never spay before the bitch has at least had one season unless it is for special health reasons. He would prefer the bitch [and dog, if it is going to be neutered] to be around 18 months old so it has had time to mature a bit, so if you can keep Shadow safe from randy dogs then I would definitely advise that you wait until she has had at least one season.

I had Pereg, and Little One before her, both spayed three months after their first season. I would have waited longer but as I do not have fenced yards and both went/go out in the front yard on 12m tethers, I had to be very careful and make sure that there were no stray/loose randy dogs around when they were out.

Little One was never incontinent, and so far Pereg, who will be 6 years old at the end of this year, has shown no signs of incontinence. I believe that any spayed bitch "might" become incontinent, whatever age she is when spayed.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    It's a long time since I've had a bitch, but I always used to let them have two seasons, and then try and time the operation for about mid-way between seasons.
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    P.S. Forgot to say that I rehomed a cocker spaniel bitch who had been spayed before her first season. She was incontinent in her old age, but none of my others were. Whether this was to do with the early spay or not I don't know.
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz likes this.
    Don't know when there considered fully mature. But no way is it prior to the first season.
    Prior to maturity you may have plate closing issues, as well as a higher chance of muscle tears, and joint issues. And they are a highly active breed.

Any vet I have every had that gives the soon as possible line and keeps up with it has been replaced.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    I have had my large bitches Rottweiler's, GSD's & Dobermans sprayed after first season, but I had 2 of my JRT's spayed before their first season.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I would wait until the dog is fully mature too :)
  10. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Ok you just confirmed my feelings really. I didn't really want her done before her first season, and maybe it might be better to wait that little bit longer.
  11. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I would not get a traditional spay before 18 months at a minimum, ideally older. Or you could possibly look into Ovary Sparing Spays (OSS), which can be done at any age as the female keeps her hormones
  12. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Ovariohysterectomy (Traditional Spay)
    Removes: Ovaries and Uterus
    Leaves: Cervix
    Hormones maintained? No
    Sterilizes? Yes
    Heat Cycle? No
    Pyometra? Risk is decreased significantly

Ovary Sparing Spay (Hysterectomy
    )
    Removes: Uterus. Cervix and one ovary may also be removed depending on practitioner.
    Leaves: At least one ovary
    Hormones maintained? Yes
    Sterilizes? Yes
    Heat Cycle? Yes, but without bloody discharge.

Tubal Ligation
    Removes: Removes or ties off a portion of the oviducts
    Leaves: Ovaries, uterus, cervix
    Hormones maintained? Yes
    Sterilizes? Yes
    Heat Cycle? Same as intact females
    Pyometra? Same risk as intact females

Ovariectomy
    Removes: Ovaries
    Leaves: Uterus, cervix
    Hormones maintained? No
    Sterilizes? Yes
    Heat Cycle? No
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tweed was a very erratic rescue dog who could jump out over a six foot fence. She had her first season at approx. 10 months and was spayed at 13 months. I might have left it a little longer if she had been more trustworthy.
  14. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    @KitKat Does the Ovary Sparing Spay (Hysterectomy) effect the levels of hormones produced?
  15. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    The OSS doesn't affect the hormone levels as the ovaries are left intact. Some vets may remove one ovary (which effectively halves the chance of ovarian cancer) but other vets may leave both. I guess that is one thing you would need to discuss with the vet if an OSS was being considered.
  16. Samm1551

Samm1551 New Member

Name:
    Sam
    Ok thank you for your help.