Staffordshire Toy Terrier? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by spikey, Mar 10, 2007.

1. spikey

spikey New Member

I just had a look at Bullhawk Staffords and they seems to be good dogs, believe me dogs I see saturday were shorter.

I had a look at http://www.megastelle.com/ but I can't find dogs so short legged
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    shorter:shock:
    blimey,they are not well bred staffords if they are ne shorter:?

i do not have nething against people breeding staffords to 'old tyme' standards,which means they will have longer legs but not KC standard,
    but i dont believe the KC standards make them unhealthy dogs.
    but if the dogs you saw were shorter but still muscular then they cant be very healthy,i think the KC standard is short enough as it is
  4. spikey

spikey New Member

It seems to me that I tried to explain a thing and you answered another thing, obviously yo're right it's hard for me to explain it in english.:blush:

I'm not talking about the height of the dog in general but about the height of the legs, none of dogs I see at bullhawk or megastelle has short legs
  5. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    sorry spikey
    no,SBT dont have short legs,they are ment to be short but there legs are ment to be in proportion with the rest of there body,there legs aren't ment to look short
    if that made ne sense
    of course im no expert,i may of bought my pup from show parents but my opinion may be different to other peoples
  6. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    This is always a debate between certain different stafford owners, i wouldnt go any where never heavy show bred lines because i want my stafford bred to the orignal type standards.
    But L2 is more present in heavy show lines, not saying it is not present in others lines, just not as common

Balance is the key anyway.
  7. Loustaff

Loustaff New Member

Name:
    Louise
    where do you get this information??? is it from the AHT, KC Stats, where? there is nothing at all to say this is more prevalent in 'show' staffords.
  8. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    It's present in ALL staffords Hayley, how many breeders of other 'strain' Staffords do you know that test for this, how many do you know that were clear or carriers?
  9. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    ive already said its present in all staffords nicci, read up!
  10. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    What is your problem with show dogs Hayley? Is it just because you had 'one' bad experience? I've had problems with KC registered breeds but I do not count them all as 'bad apples' I own a two beautiful KC registered breeds both breeds are prone to hereditary defects but I certainly don't go around blaming who was to blame for bringing the genetic diseases into both breeds, it's certainly nothing to do with the KC or the dogs being recognised by an official body so I don't really understand the problem you have with KC registered dogs :?

L2 is no more present in show Staffords that it is in any other strain, the only reason you hear of other 'strains' not being L2 effected is because probably most don't bother getting their dogs tested and publishing the results!
  11. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    its my belief that if you cant be bothered to bred from well breed parents then you wont be bothered to health test.

so like you were saying,the only reason non KC/show breeds seem to have it more commenly is bcause they test all there dogs.

not all KC dogs are well breed mind you,it is too easy to get papers.
    there should be more tests in place by law:grin:
  12. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    My xena wasnt registered,and now i look back and can see how badly breed she was,thats why she died so young:-(

unless your breed is not recognised the KC there is no excuse for people to be breeding dogs ith out papers and health tests,its all 4 cash,
    which is wronge.
    a dog has a breed standard,you breed a dog to keep up that standard
  13. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Claire things are not as clear cut as that, the Kennel club is not important to everyone, you can still have health tests (for l2) without being reg under the Kennel club, a pedigree is a bit of paper.
    Nicci What happened to Missie was dreadful, she was from show lines and my other 3 who are not from show lines are very healthy. Its personal choice, i dont like the standard change of the stafford, i like to see daylight under there. There are many KC stafford lines i would buy from but i would never by from heavy kc show lines.
  14. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    it was not an attack on non registered dogs:grin:
    just like you i have a personal preference
    i like to have that bit of paper to prove where my dog came from,all the health tests the family have had.
    im lucky,most of serens 5generation have been tested and cleared of l2 and Hc
  15. Loustaff

Loustaff New Member

Name:
    Louise
    very healthy does not cover the fact they could be carriers of the disease. you have to be aware it could be in any line hayley. so if you were to breed from any of yours they should be tested. could you say 100% that the pups you bred from bessie(i think it was) are totally clear, might i add HC falls in this catagory too.
  16. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    I know of bullhawk claire and i hope you will be very happy with you pup, how is she settling in? i know it wasnt an attack hun i was just saying, the kennel club i have no time for, i would get another Kc reg stafford but i would just make sure that the line is not heavy show bred stafford types.
  17. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Bessie never got bred from she was spayed loustaff:grin:
    I would never breed any of my dogs i think there is enough staffords in the UK.

Oh and just to add if i was to breed temperament and health testing would be on top of my list and u dont need the dogs to be kc reg for that, and i would also breed to the original standards.
  18. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    my little cutie is settling in great:grin:
    i wouldnt be without her now:grin:
    im so glad i looked in2 the breed and decided to get a stafford

shes always so happy a chearful,trin loves her,so do the kids

shes like a gift from heaven:grin:
  19. Loustaff

Loustaff New Member

Name:
    Louise
    hi hayley, im not disputing they have to be, just in the current climate its best if you can prove their parentage.. and yep kc staffords come in all shapes and sizes, just look at my abby and toby, couldnt be more different. shes quite tall, and probablymore in line with they type you like and toby is alot smaller.
  20. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i can see where your comming from hayley
    to some people the way a dog looks can be more important than health
    its a sad fact unfortunatly
    you can get several 'show standard' dogs and they all look completely different
    i suppose with ne breed there are variations
  21. fayemond

fayemond New Member

Name:
    faye
    This is going to sound so bad and your probably going to rip me to peices in here but please can someone tell me more about L2 as unfortunatly the druggies we resuced our staffy from didn't inform us if he had been tested. I have never had a staffy before Taz so don't really know too much about this. Should i get Taz tested for it now?