Stay away from this breeder! General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by ssmith80, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ssmith80

ssmith80

Name:
    Sarah

Stay away from this breeder!

Im not here to name names or cause any trouble, but feel I need to mention this so that nobody goes through what I went through!

I went to a pug and rottweiler breeder in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire to view her pug puppies, possibly buy one. When i went to view they were only 3 to 4 weeks old and naturally were very tiny. Id never seen a pug at this age and therefore didn't know whether they were undersized, oversized... or what. (possibly my fault for not doing more research beforehand, we all live and learn!) Stupidly I assumed they were fine.

I paid my deposit, gave my name and address, picked the KC name, all the usual details. I was to collect him at 8 weeks old, the date was organised, she wrote it in her diary.

I got a call when he was about 7 weeks old, me and my partner were on holiday in Cornwall. She told me the puppy was being 'picked on' by the other littermates, they'd been biting his tail and scratching at him, and I needed to go and pick him up ASAP. I was SO frustrated by this, I mean what the HELL?! Hasn't she got the time to make sure that the puppies are all fit and healthy? Why hasn't she separated them if this is happening to my baby?!

My partner went to collect him, and OH MY GOODNESS. He was so tiny, at 8 weeks old he was barely longer than the palm of my hand. He was so 'out of it' he couldnt walk properly, he was dithering around, his coat was greyed and completely the wrong colour, his mouth looked deformed, he had dried blood all over his tail.... I very much doubt that he'd been eating properly. He looked NOTHING like the puppy we'd got from Linda [our first breeder] two years previous, who was a fantastic chubby bundle of fun and energy. This dog looked like a 'mentally challenged' mouse. I was shocked. :shock:

I argued the case with this woman, i was honestly frightened that I was handing over £900 for this baby, which was evidently going to drop down dead in a week. This woman was persistant, told me her vet had given the dog the all clear and said he was perfectly healthy. (I dont know how she had the front to say this, because even compared to the other littermates he must have been half the size.) This was a blatant issue of neglect, and sheer greed.

The woman held back £150 of my hard earned cash and told me this had been spent on feeding the poor mite for the last 4 weeks. Naturally I challenged her over this, the pup didn't look like it had eaten AT ALL! I know theres a possibility the dog could have naturally been the runt of the litter, but he was so weak, and neglected. If this was the case he should not have been sold at 8 weeks, he should have had proper care and he should have been nursed to good health. Instead she just wanted rid of him, and she wanted the cash.

Moral of the story is, don't buy pugs or rottweilers from a lady called [Name removed] I have also since found several articles and reviews online from people who have bought her Rotties and have been heartbroken that theyve developed serious health problems.... to which she has OF COURSE denied all knowledge.

Hopefully spelling this out will mean less people have to go through it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I'm flaberghasted reading that!!!:shock:

Have you actually parted with the £900 then, or has she handed it all back to you less the £150??? I don't quite understand? Surely you haven't GOT the puppy have you? I would have thought that NO money changes hands until you take the puppy, only a small deposit, unless of course that's what you mean, the £150 she kept? Oh this is outrageous to say the least.

Good on you for naming and shaming this woman though and if I were you I'd put her name on every dog site going!!!!:shock:
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    can you pm me this breeders details and affix
  5. ssmith80

ssmith80

Name:
    Sarah
    I know, and we were so disappointed. :( she was such a rude woman as well... very abrupt, very unnecessary.

I gave her £150 deposit for the dog on the first visit, and was to give her the rest on collection at 8 weeks. Because I was so shocked at the state of him I refused to take him home... I was really frightened that I couldnt look after him properly, I figured we'd have him about a week and he'd probably give up on life :( Plus there was the fact that I wanted him to get on with my other pug, and quite frankly I was scared Stevie would crush him!!
  6. boris

boris New Member

Name:
    Ian
    I bought my dog from the same kennels, when we went to collect him at 10wks (I had been out of the country for 2 weeks) he still hadn't had his first innoculations due to being on antibiotics for a hurt paw. Maureen had no idea what had happened to him and we took him away still with some pills to give him. We knew our dog would be small, he was the smallest in the litter, however, he hasn't put on any weight in the last 2 months and has largely lost his appetite and developed a rather delicate bottom. Our vet has found nothing untoward yet and has really only suggested "Science Diet", she stopped that when I asked how long she had spent on canine nutrition at vet school and who had sponsored the session!

Ian
  7. ssmith80

ssmith80

Name:
    Sarah
    see... i know for a fact that this woman has won shows with some of her rottweilers, so how is it that she can sell puppies like this? I honestly dont think she pays any attention to her puppies, she allows bullying to occur and the dogs to be injured. The puppy I went to collect had scabs on it where it had been attacked and she almost thought it was FUNNY that it had happened! she wasnt apologetic at all and sure as damnit didnt give much of a t*ss about the puppy :shock:

she is clearly in a rush to get rid of them and get the cash, any other breeder would keep hold of the puppy until they were back at full health, and THEN let them go to a new home.

i really hope your pup is okay, please let us know
  8. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    im shocked the breeder didnt know what happend to his paw, can I ask what the injury looked like,,, eg another pup had taken a bite at him, or more like trodden on, or more like a problem with the claw.........sorry for being so nosey,

I hope things improve with him soon, there is a rumour that some male rotties are fussy eaters, but I havent found that to be true of my lot,,
    runny bum is not something I ever have a problem with in my lot either, they have cast iron guts,,
  9. boris

boris New Member

Name:
    Ian
    There was nothing to see really, his paw was slightly swollen and a little tender, I finished the course of pills with him and within a week he was fine. I used a cage for him initially so restricting his movement wasn't too difficult and he seemed to recover fully.

The eating issue is worrying, he has always been fed raw and was ok with most meat, a little funny with beef and unable to keep offal down unless cooked. His diet was mainly minced chicken, chicken backs & wings, however, he seems to have largely gone off chicken & lamb and now only seems to enjoy tripe. A couple of months back he would spend all afternoon working a recreational bone, now he isn't interested. I tried him on some JWB kibble for a few days last week and he seemed to like that, perhaps I should give up on the raw for now.

Ian
  10. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    you could try giving him dry and raw... if you know what I mean. I dont know anything about raw.. but poss he may put a bit more weight on with some dry food given as a top up with the raw.
    that said you would have to get him eating for first.
    Have you checked his mouth.. some young dogs go through a bit of a sore mouth stage about 8ish months.. but to be honest it shouldnt last that long or really put them off there food.

ETA: I hope she hadnt trodden on his paw damaging it.
  11. k9xxb

k9xxb

Name:
    Linda
    Posted in Wrong Section.

Awww poor puppy :-(
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  12. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    I'm appalled that any breeder would behave this way and be so uncaring and callous.

You did the right thing walking away, I'd have done the same. It really makes you feel for the poor pups and dogs in her kennels though being treated like this.:cry:

I do hope you manage to get another Pug puppy from a reputable breeder and are happy with it. Can you not go back to where you got your first pug from?
  13. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    :shock: And everyone says only crossbreed dogs are bred for money!
    As far as I as I can see this sort of thing goes on with breeding of all dogs ped,crosses whatever and its such a shame because at the end of the day the dogs and pups are the ones used, abused and have to suffer...because some greedy, stupid morons think anyone and there mother can be or should be a breeder.
    All these people see is $$$$$$ signs and thats it!

I really dont care how many shows or what pedigree her dogs have..she shouldnt be allowed to own dogs let alone show and breed them.
    Seems to me she couldnt run a pi$$ up in a brewery!!!:evil:

I feel for the poor dogs and pups in her care (care..I'll use that term loosely!)
  14. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Hi boris, can you remember what kind of medication the pup was getting?. eg antibiotics or anti inflammatories

ETA: just noticed you said it was intibiotics in a previous post,,, I really should pay more attention........sorry
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  15. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    very sadly within the breed world, its often those who win the most that have the worst breeding practice, :-(
  16. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I've been thinking on this. Since that recent television programme was aired, I'm wondering if a letter to the Kennel Club might hold some sway here??? This woman needs to be reported for her sheer neglect alone. I wish I lived up there coz I'd probably go round to hers and give her a good slap from what I've read about her breeding practices! This sounds worse than a byb to me!!! This is WHY our homework is so very, very important when purchasing a puppy, KC means diddly squat now after watching that programme! I'm so sorry for you and what you've had to witness with this awful cow, and you too Ian!
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I have advised the OP.. and any other who has had problems with this breeder to inform the KC, this breeder is a KC accredited breeder..........:neutral:
    I have most likely condemned myself yet again with the rottie people and in the show ring,,:neutral:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  18. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    What a horrible story and upsetting for you and terrible for the pup.

Although it must have been very very hard, well done for leaving the pup there. Many people would have felt sorry and bought the pup feeling that they were saving it, and even if they were in a way all you would have done would have funded this women to carry on doing what she is doing.

Personally i would contact the KC and the RSPCA, DEFRA and who ever else i could think of!
  19. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Well not on here you haven't you've got my respect, and a lot more besides!!!!!;-)
  20. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Here here! I wish the majority of dog owners and breeders were like you Shona!
  21. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    oh my god that is awful, she cant keep your money if the dog was in that state?!

can you speak to the citizens advice bureu?

i dont know how these people get away with it, i viewed a few kittens before getting my moggy, and the state of some of these cats, about 20 from different litters living in a tiny cage covered with fleas some 12weeks old some 5, and she told me they were 'too young' to be treated!

then another ladys kittens kept dying but she bred the cat constantly over and over after it gave birth to get some that didnt die & she lied in her adverts saying they had been sold but had died!

another one was covered in fleas & ear mites

even the lady we got our dog off, all ended up being a big lie, god knows where she gets the puppies from and how they are treated.

dont know how people live with themselves doign things to poor animals who cant speak up for themselves

anything i can do to help if you want me to research anything let me know!