Stud potential ? Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by inkliveeva, Nov 10, 2007.

1. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Inka was done at 11 months for health reasons, its sommit we have always thought about for Kain too, don't worry its not because of what anyone has said, I want to get a girl after christmas so it'll be easier all round.
    Thanks for all your kind support through out this thread it has been much appreciated. x Big slobbery licks from Inka and Kain x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Extremely rare in dogs, and strangulated, would mean the testicle was retained? if so he should of been neutered anyway.
    Dawn.
  4. megan57collies

megan57collies New Member

Name:
    Health problems in entire dogs are like you say not that high, where there are a lot of benefits of spaying a bitch.
    As with all things, regular checks of testicles on entire dogs for lumps is recommended. Unfortunately not enough research and large enough sample numbers have been done.
    The general consensus is that castrated males don't really live any longer than entire males so that's why there is a real divide on peoples opinions. Again, it is a personal choice and each dog and situation looked at individually. :)
  5. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    I don't know on the male castration thing.
    Prostate problems in older entire males are common and not very nice for the dog (or owner) when an older dog needs castrating.
    I have seen many younger (8/9months) dogs castrated and have in all honesty noticed a massive difference in their behaviour within about 2 months, they calm right down.
    Having said that..our next dog will be male and I have no idea at this sage if we will castrate or not. It will depend entirely on the dog and his behaviour at puberty, we wil decide then, based on how he is.
    It's up to the individual and it is down to choice. There ARE health benefits and from personal experience, obvious behavioural benefits to neutering males though.
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ahh, but castrating a dog will not stop a dog from getting prostate problems, it just reduces the risk.
  7. dsmem3429

dsmem3429

Well I've just trawled through this thread...

from personal experince and opinion, no I don't think Kain should be a stud dog. Kain does not look like what I would be looking for in a NI, but as others have said that doesn't mean he's not a gorgeous dog. My NI Inca is also not going to be bred from for similar reasons. They don't have anything to bring to the breed and have possible faults ie, ears, curly tail and Inca's patchy coat.

As for the NIS? I have always felt very welcome at their shows even though I am just a beginner with this breed(owner for 3 years). I've made some good friends, and look forward to their Essex show each year.
    I know Julie is passionate about her breed, and I can see how some find her comments a bit ott (sometimes I wish we had a chewy toffee to keep Julie quiet a bit more lol) but thats because she cares so much about the NI, and rightly so.

I don't believe redoing the standard will move goalposts, more like it'll cement them in. Is Borderdawn helping with this Julie, I thought she was? It's a good thing.

I don't go on the NIS forum, only to say hello, purely as this forum is enough for me.

I'll also add I've seen far more backstabbing and bitchiness at dog/breed shows in general than I have ever known with the NIS.

I love my NI Inca as you love your Kain, who couldn't?:grin:
    Bits or no bits!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  8. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    Well said:grin:
  9. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    This has been an interesting thread for me to read. I bought Vienna as a pet and while LOADS of people have asked me if i'll breed her my reply has always been 'I'd love to but no'. Although i dont think she is a bad example of the breed i also dont think she is the BEST example of the breed. But i might well post her on the critque thread as i would be interested in your opinions (she has been spayed anyway i would just be interested.).
  10. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Name:
    Kris
    P.S sorry i forgot to add that i am a big fan of Kain and Inka and always love seeing photos of them! They are lovely boys and i kno my Vienna would LOVE to go out and play with them!
  11. mo

mo New Member

Name:
    Maureen Boyd
    I have not read all the post in this thread so if I am repeating whats already been said then I apologise, IMO why does anyone that has a "breed" automatically think they are suitable for breeding from? the only way IMO to find out if a dog is of quality is to get it into the ring and show it, a good example "should" do well, if its a working pastoral etc breed it should be built to do the job. in the case of NI's they have been developed to look like a wolf, so apart from structural aspects which should also be "wolfish" their LOOK is most important as they are bred to LOOK like a wolf, if the dog falls short of this ie looks like a GSD/MAL/SIBE, it is not of the quality to breed from if you look at the dog and it screams NI then at least that is heading in the right direction. IMO many on this thread have said the dog looks GSD? I am no expert on the subject but this would indicate to me that the dog is not breeding material. we all love our dogs and we all think our dogs are shining examples of our own particular breeds, but that does not mean they are, we are sometime looking through rose colour glasses when it comes to our own dogs, we very rarely see their faults, and this is why taking a dog into the ring is important, that way you will (hopefully) have your dog assessed by someone that unbiased and get a better picture of what qualities your dog does and does not have.

Mo
  12. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    thanks beckyc yes i have asked for borderdawns help on writing the new standard [gonna pay her a surprise visit armed with pen and paper and a dozen good examples of northern inuits lol].as for the chewy toffees,i like the quality street golden pennies,but think it would take an awful lot of toffees to shut me up[especialy were northern inuits are concerned] lol
  13. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Dawn thorntons toffee will keep her quiet :smt002
    Becky
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Ill get a supply in! :mrgreen:
  15. dsmem3429

dsmem3429

Well as said before, not everyone here may have met you personally. I have and I also have no interest in the politics of the different Inuits, just an interest in the NI and keeping it true, so I do understand why you get so passionate.

Second thoughts, I think you're gonna need one of those giant gobstoppers, and I mean giant!:mrgreen:
  16. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey

Do they do one that big then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-) ;-)
  17. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
  18. dsmem3429

dsmem3429

19. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Try and find some giant penny toffee's :lol: :lol:
  20. Tracey381

Tracey381 New Member

Name:
    Tracey
  21. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well she will be ok with me, I have a gob like the Mersey tunnel! :mrgreen: Ill buy some toffee apples, shut us both up!