Syringomyelia in CKCS

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Maisysmum, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    but bare in mind a scanned dog with good results can still produce affected pups
    sadly its not black and white there is still much research to be done on SM... scanning will certainly remove affected dogs from the breeding programme to responsible breeders.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. katie84

katie84 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Of course I completely agree... but at least those breeders who know that there dogs that have SM and still breed from them - if challenged to see the test results and won't provide them and claim there dog is fine are the ones who have something to hide.
  4. jojoscorpio

jojoscorpio New Member

Name:
    jo
    I think these breeders who have bred puppies with SM should be named and shamed!! if you have bought a cavalier from such stock you should let the rest know who the breeder is and where you bought the pup, then maybe it will stop other dog lovers being left with the heartbreak of watching their baby go through this, and if the breeders are known, no one would buy a pup from them.
  5. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    So sorry for the Cavaliers on this thread who have this dreadful condition. So sad. :-(

I know a 4 year old Cavalier that had to be pts recently because of SM. Needless to say they are devastated and will never buy another Cavalier. So tragic. :-(
  6. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    My Loukar has been scanned & has SM & Joedee has had three"episodes"of SM pain a year ago. The breeder(of course, it is NOT Lise) is on this forum & never spoken to me since we had him scanned & has sold a puppy to a board member-nothing on their Website indicates that their bitches hhave been scanned & they have used Loukar's brother @ stud ! :-( :-( :-(

I'm not going to name names as Loukar's KC reg name is on my website along with the scan results
  7. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Name:
    Virginia
    I agree and I will now put my dogs kennel name in my section so that people know that dogs from that breeder definitely are a potential for having the disorder. I know for sure as my little dog is from this breeder's sire and dam and I also know that she has not had her breeding stock scanned as she actually doubts the efficacy of MRI scanning ! So stay away from any pups with a link to her stock is my advice - I detest these irresponsible greedy breeders