Taking in a Mastiff? Questions

Discussion in 'Mastiff' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Taking in a Mastiff?

Good morning,

I am wondering about taking in a Mastiff that is not a puppy. I see so many older Mastiffs ranging from 2-5 years old who need homes. I know I was told a while ago that Mastiff breeds have a difficult time bonding with new owners.

My question is, would there be a way to make the transition smoother? I love all dogs but the Mastiffs have really caught my eye. I have been researching them for quite some time now but don't want to rush into anything as they are large, powerful dogs.

Thank you
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    The basic part is in the way they are there a very devoted loving dog, they bond very deeply with there owners as long as there brought up correctly.

Taking in one should not be a major issue, but the biggest factors are just giving the dog time to feel safe and learn that this is there new home.

Generally it is a longer period than other breeds, but they do bond again.
    While big and strong a mature mastiff is generally around 3 to 3.5 years mentally.

If you find one that suits what your looking for in a dog I would say go for it.

Trust me you might get a stand off ish brute and a year later have a very large velcro lap dog, who does not leave your side.
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    LMost likes this.
    Thanks so much for your insight!
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    A lot has to do with people who get the puppy not knowing the costs that go with it and the costs that go with there items.

Meds are more, food is more and even simple things like a collar.

Many times it's not a bad owner, it is just someone who got a cute puppy and did not think or know the cost.

Even small details such as the leash clips are much higher rated. Mouse's is rated for 450lbs.

Easy example, Mouse has a normal neck for a English Mastiff, and no this size is generally not in stock.
    (Yes his is custom made for him).
    [​IMG]