Tally Ho! General Chat

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kerbs are not such a problem if you are able to get off a small scooter and lift the wheel/s up/down the kerb, which I obviously cannot do, but it would be tricky if you are also holding a dog on a leash. But steep hills are totally out of the question. If you try and go up a steep hill the chance of burning out the motor on little scooters is very high. They just cannot cope. My ramp from the patio to the pavement isn't overly steep but it needs a bit of a run at full speed to get my little scooter on to it and up to the pavement, and coming down I would have to have it at a crawl because of an almost imperceptible camber. Small, lightweight scooters do not like cambers and will try and take you the way they want to go when going down a slope.

Originally of course there was no camber at all when I had the ramp built, but as the ramp goes diagonally across and up both my front and side yards, over the years [and rain pouring down from the pavement in the winter, it happened. The Silver Monster, of course, had no problem, not that either of my scooters have been used for the last couple of years...

Another problem is that larger scooters are not permitted to be used on pavements, just as the small ones are only permitted on the road when crossing it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ah. So my friend should be on the road then? Or is that just in Israel? There is a lot of fast traffic on our roads - I would feel very vulnerable.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Helidale likes this.
    This is the law in England:

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules

There was a discussion with some people on a UK disability forum I was a member of a while back on the subject of scooters - it was just after one of the frequent red top newspapers having a story of a man being "run over" by a small pavement scooter and "pinned underneath it" - and the usual rant by able-bodied people who have no idea what a lifeline mobility scooters are for disabled people, about "lazy fat people who cannot be bothered to walk" etc. Apart from anything else, the little scooters do not have the ground clearance to "run over" a person!

Even The Silver Monster, big as he is, does not have sufficient ground clearance to "run over" a person. And apart from anything else, as soon as you let go of the drive lever, the scooters stop because the motors automatically brake. They do not have brakes like a car, which can carry on going forwards if you take your foot off the accelerator.

Both of my scooters, and also Xanadu, are insured in case of me causing an accident while I am using them, but I must admit that I am fairly sure that The Silver Monster can go faster than he is supposed to. Not that I ever tried it as he was only ever used on the Moshav. And even on the Moshav, with virtually no traffic, I felt very vulnerable at times. There is no way I would ever have driven him on a main road, even though he is almost as big as a small car!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    Aw that's such a shame, Carole. It would be a Godsend for you for getting out and about and definitely for taking Tally out. Recall and fetch are going to be needed so you can throw a ball out for her to get a good run
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Not many use them on the road here, Juli. Rules or no rules, we have very narrow, twisty roads which would make it unsafe. The very few that do, take their life in their hands.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know how many people use road scooters [class 3] in town Chris - but they would probably only do so locally. There are quite a few on the Moshav because it is basically just one long road, with the main, gated entrance a short way off one main road, the other [also gated] end having another narrow road to a different main road. It is not used as a through road for general traffic. Just inside the main entrance are two roads going off each side. Long, narrow roads which are dead ends for cars as they lead onto tractor paths.

The main through road is also narrow - single lane each way, no dual carriage way. The macolet is the only little shop on the Moshav and is basically at the centre of the Moshav [and diagonally opposite from my bungalow!]. And because everything is so spread out, the macolet is a long distance away from many homes, and there are quite a lot of older people who cannot walk that far. So there are quite a lot of road scooters here.

Berekhya.png

The marked area just shows the roads - it does not include the agricultural fields of the Moshav itself [mis-spelled in the map]. The macolet is where the little side road joins the through road, part way up.

The only traffic apart from local cars, are delivery trucks for the macolet, agricultural vehicles [large tractors etc], and twice a day school buses. So it is reasonably safe for scooters, although if a truck or school bus comes up behind you it can be rather scary!
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    A few about in winter here, in summer though the place is teaming with them as a lot of holiday makers hire them for their stay - many of whom don't need them :(
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris B likes this.
    And the people who do not need them cause the majority of problems for those of us who do.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @CaroleC / @Helidale [I do not know which one you can use to read posts] - how is everything going?
  11. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    Tally is fine - though we did have another slightly wet bed last night. She had indoor play with a sqeaky ball this morning, which ended up as a madcap but passably good game of retrieve. She tends to throw the ball to me, but I was pleased that she understood the basic purpose of the game.
    We had a walk in the wood this afternoon, but I really struggled with hip and knee pain. I hadn't factored in the additional stress of a dog that tends to pull with excitement - even though she is only small. I think we will have to find somewhere a little more level next time.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I was getting worried at the thought of 14 hours without a pee - I wonder why she would not do one? It is a pity the walk in the wood caused you problems with pain - it is strange to me to hear you saying that Tally is small, although obviously you mean small for a Beagle. To be honest I do not think I have ever seen one [apart from pictures, of course] and frequently forget how small Tikva is compared to Pereg, so can understand why you call Tally, small.

Everything is still so new to her of course so it is understandable that she will be excited, wanting to explore all these new places, but you do not want to cause yourself more pain in the process.
  13. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh I never thought to update about the 'no pee' day. She actually went 23 hours without having one! Since the first night, she has been dry up to last night. Extra washing, but it is only 9 weeks since she gave birth, I'm sure she will tighten up.
    I must get her properly measured but I think she is approx. 13.5 inches.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    Tornado-dog started throwing the ball at me. When he did, I would just point at and say "pick it up". I only picked it up if he put it at my feet, in my lap, or right next me (basically anywhere I don't have to move to pick it up).

Now, he's hilarious about it. He will still throw it at times, but he immediately chases it and picks it up. Then he'll have it in his mouth and go to place it on my lap or the footstool, etc, but get it right on the edge so it falls off as soon as he lets go - then he looks at it, then at me, and then picks it up again. He'll repeat that several times before placing it so it stays in place for me to pick it up and throw it for him. I suspect he thinks he's messing with me by doing this - in reality, it just means I don't have to throw the ball as often.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    23 hours must be a record! A bit of extra washing is not so terrible, and as you say, it is only 9 weeks since she whelped.

I cannot go by sizes - I have only ever gone by weights, so the only way I think of Tally's size is by that gorgeous picture of her on Chas' lap, and to me she looks big. But I am now so used to an ~7.5kg Tikva [currently 7.3kg but was 7.9kg last May - since then been on a diet] that I have difficulty in remembering the physical size of ~20kg Pereg.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    My dogs have been on average 54 to 85 lbs (24.5 - 38.5 kgs), so anything under 40 lbs (18 kgs) is small to me.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    Could have been nerves too Carole. Everything strange to her and, of course, she needed to find 'her' place to toilet. Often they look so settled that we forget how new things are to them and how stressful they must find it
  18. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    I have just weighed her by the difference method. 25 lbs, so just over 11 kilos. I will have to wait until she has a vet trip to get an exact weight.
    The US Beagle standard allows for two sizes, under 13 inches and under 15 inches. The UK and FCI standards say 13 - 16 inches. Tally has 3/4 American breeding so the odds do favour her being a little smaller.
    @Chris B I quite agree. Also going from around 12 dogs in the home to being the only one. She is actually a very good dog - has her mad moments but is happy to curl up when you are busy.
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Tally is a treasure, she seems to have remembered her house-training now - but I am still getting up at 4am-ish to prevent her failing. She is a happy soul, and loves her Dad, but I think still misses her pack, judging by her reactions when she hears or sees a dog on her walk. Today we had a Beagle Show DVD on the pc and she stared intently at a spot on the wall. The sound must have appeared to have come from that direction. Today I dosed up and put a support on my knee, so we managed a walk in the woods. A 2 metre line gives her plenty of sniffing area, without wrapping herself round a tree, or even while I take a rest on a rock! She is still retrieving enthusiastically indoors - but outdoors, forget it!
    Here is the Princess and the Pea, reclining on her layers of memory foam. Poor girl, it's been a hard day.

IMG_20220203_192927_kindlephoto-410522213.jpg
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Bless her - we will have to start calling her Princess Tally now! I am so pleased to hear that she is happy and, as you say, a treasure. You were so meant to have another Beagle and Tally sounds so perfect for you - and you for her. She is just so pretty - please give her cuddles from me - and kiss those gorgeous ears as well!
  21. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Don't forget that adjusting her mealtime(s) can also change her potty schedule. I had one dog who always had to pee at 5 am. (I don't do early mornings). I moved her dinner to a couple hours later and she didn't need to get up until 7 am when I got up for work.