Terrier paw problems? Health

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by Bitkin, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally

Terrier paw problems?

My Jack Russell Jimmi has persistant paw troubles, either developing abscesses or sore areas between the toes which can result in partial "degloving" of a pad. We have had him for four years now, and he is probably in his early to mid teens.

Does anyone else with a terrier have this problem please?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Is he a digger Sally? I wonder if there's something in the soil that's irritating him?

What about diets - have you tried putting him on a basic rice and chicken diet and introducing different foodstuffs?

(You need to add a new pic of him as your avatar btw - the old ones are blurry :lol:)

PS we have a Jack Russell Forum too - would you like me to move your thread there or would you like to keep it here?
  4. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Not a terrier but Finn has similar problems :( I am hoping they are a thing of the past since he started a new allergy drug which blocks the itch signal. So far so good 2 weeks in and he has not touched his feet and they are clearing up well.

Hope you manage to get Jimmi's feet under control again as it is so stressful for you as well as Jimmi.
  5. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Azz likes this.
    Thank you Azz and Carole..........he is already on Fish4dogs salmon and potato, and has been for nearly four years now, this was for his skin troubles which quickly cleared up. He used to dig up molehills and things when we first had him, but these days he is more interested in pounding the pavements looking for cats!

Carole, what drug is that please? I am delighted to see that Finn is responding to it, and maybe it could help Jimmi.

Azz, I think that this problem might be dog wide, and not confined to JRTs, so perhaps I would like to leave the thread where it is for now. I will try to change the avatar!
  6. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Its called Apoquel. It was only launched in the UK at the end of January. It worked as quick as steroids without their side effects.

https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Products/Pages/apoqueldvm/Index.aspx