The docking ban. (This thread for Gundog owners only - see note in post 2) General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Nursey, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Oh I know that, it's just that if it genuinely prevents tail damage then the docks should be shorter for a working dog.
    Becky
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    In my experience, of docked and undocked springers, it's the very tip of the tail which is damaged. I have 3 working undocked springers who do have a long dock and they have never damaged their tails. My docked springer, who is now retired, was always damaging just the tip of her tail.

I don't know why the dock of a working dog is generally longer. Maybe so we can see the tips of their tails when they are in the very heart of a bramble bush lol.

Helen
  4. Sprocker

Sprocker New Member

Name:
    Rhyannon
    I have a ESS with a full tail and a sprocker with a full tail. The Sprocker has had no problems to date with his tail but I am having problems with the Springer. She catches it reguarly when going into cover be it training or just on walks. It always looks worse than it really is as the blood goes everywhere. At the moment vigilance on my part is keeping it infection free but I am concerned that if it gets any worse she will lost the tail. Her tail is not well feathered and is long compared to other full tail springers I have seen, I know other dogs in her litter are also having problems.

Her breeder is thinking about not breeding from the same sire and dam again because she does not want to dock but does not want to produce a litter with tail problems again.

My Sprocker has a well feathered tail and I am not sure if this is what is helping him.

I don't know if I am for or against docking but I think if I was to get another pup for working I would consider a docked dog.
  5. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Just had an E.mail from a friend. It seems the government have allowed an 11 hour petition regarding banding tails.
    This is the link to sign it but you have to be quick its only online for three weeks
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Banding-tails/
  6. Sprocker

Sprocker New Member

Name:
    Rhyannon
    I can not support breeders banding tails, no way. If they are going to be docked then it should be done by a vet. That would be a step backwards.
  7. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    Thanks Morganstar I've signed, and I'll spread the word.

Hope is not lost.....yet. :)

Dawn R.
  8. Hewey

Hewey New Member

I agree. Maybe, if they were tested on their ability and given some sort of qualification but not just anybody just because they breed.
  9. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Banding would be done by a vet as the rules on it been illegal to dock your own pups will stand.
    Sorry perhaps I should have made that clear.
    Thanks for signing Dawn
  10. Hewey

Hewey New Member

I could not sign anything that did not actually say that. Too open for interpretation.
  11. thandi

thandi New Member

Name:
    Debs
    Thats actually closer to the truth than you might realise ;)

roaned dogs (nearly always) have a white tip to their docked tail, - that is to say at the point where they are docked.
    when the tail grows hair (the 'flag') and it is moved about by those wiggly bums, it alerts the guns that there is a dog where they might be aiming...even if they have no right aiming anywhere but the sky!!