The dog or the stance ...? Controversial

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Murf, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    I knew it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed, sorry! :blush:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    Stubill likes this.
    Seeing a dog with conformation like that makes me throw up in my mouth. That dog is an absolute monstrosity of breeding! Whoever breeds for dogs to look like that should be in jail.
  4. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    When i watch show dogs, especially what won crufts this year! this is what i see:
    (GSD's with spina bifida)
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=GSD Spina bifida&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinxKbHx47QAhVELpQKHaooBycQ_AUICCgB&biw=1260&bih=649#imgrc=RRaXpJs4_L60NM:

I dont give a rats, for what a KC tells me is correct. They are a shepherd, they should be anatomically able to perform that task, and have the temperament to work for a living. That's a GSD.

I see fat GSD's, and think ? WTF, how? They are very energetic. Full of drives.
    Show lines
    not my cup of tea.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I don’t usually get involved in these debates but I find your post is offensive to those who breed showline GSD's. Where is the evidence for your statement?
    The debate on backlines will continue even when we’re all long gone and buried. I get sick and tired of banging my head against a brick wall, and yes it does appear that the nastier comments come from a few on the working side.
    It's fine to not like show lines, but don't dislike them for all the wrong reasons.
    It's wrong to assume all show dogs are cripples do you really believe that a crippled dog could earn a SchHIII/ AD.
    There is no doubt that the breed has its successes and failures, both types the show and work have successes and failures to deal with, what can be done to better each type can only be done through constructive dialogue that is not based on incorrect generalizations, insults or uncalled for attacks or degrading the efforts and achievements of breeders in either camp, or forcing his/her view, belief or thought by generalized claims and insults to shut the other view down.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Spina Bifida? Where on earth have you heard that the bitch suffers from this crippling condition?
    Please be careful with your statements about this dog. Though her type, and possibly temperament, does not appeal to everyone, I think her owners have been through enough of an ordeal by media already.
  7. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    With all due respect to all, I have always admired the German Shepherd Dog. They are beautiful, intelligent, protective, just a wonderful dog, in what used to be a beautiful package.

I really struggle with images like these....
    What has been done to this stunningly lovely breed, is a sin.

Attached Files:

8. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    What was wrong with the GSD, before people started to breed for super angulation?

Attached Files:

9. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    When I compare one to the other, I have to shake my head....

Please offer your opinions about this topic.

Attached Files:

10. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    What was wrong with the GSD, before people started to breed for super angulation?
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Once again we have unflattering photos put on here to try and prove a point.
    First Picture ) Spina-Bifida has nothing to do with SL Gsd’s
    http://www.vetstreet.com/care/spina-bifida
    Quasimodo, whose chest is about a third of the size that it should be at his age, has virtually no neck to support his full-sized head. His unusual appearance is caused by short spine syndrome - a condition that only affects 13 known dogs in the world.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...unusual-appearance-gained-thousands-fans.html

Picture beneath it Has obviously some kind of hind-limb anomalies

Quote) At this point in time, the cause of the hind-limb anomalies is unknown. The current thought is that this is a neurologic abnormality.

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org/research.html
  12. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
  13. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    They do say that a picture is worth a thousand words, lol :p.
    My opinion, is not by any means meant as a personal attack on anyone, it is just my opinion, born of my concern for the way certain lines have been over manipulated.

My point, if there is one, is that 'some people' overdo things, to a point where a breed suffers major damage for generations to come? Look at some of the Bulldogs, the Basset hounds, the St Bernards of the 70's, the Neo's that can hardly move, and those are only a few.

Some breeders see a feature that they find attractive, then they just go overboard with line breeding to attain and perfect that feature, even to the detriment of the breed they love. It becomes a mind set, like a tunnel vision, that if a little is good, then more must be better.

It is human nature, to try and fix things, make them better, and perfect them. This is not a bad thing within itself, and without which we would have no pure breeds, etc. All I am saying, is that sometimes things are just taken too far.

Peace :)

~Elana~
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I have not bred a litter for 30 years, and GSD's were not my breed, but I cannot believe that any serious breeder tries to produce less than happy healthy puppies. There is no such thing as a perfect dog, and even the the most knowledgeable and caring will have occasional disasters, - it is how they maximise the chances of success, and manage these problems when they do arise, that separates the wheat from the chaff. Humans may also give birth to imperfect babies, but we don't judge the condition of our own species by referring back to photo's of genetic abnormalities.
    Yes, there are careless breeders who either lack sufficient knowledge to be breeding from their dogs, or just don't give a damn what they mate, as long as there is a profit at the end of it. These latter types are supported by an equally ignorant public who nowadays demand an instantly available dog, at a bargain price, and preferably on their doorstep.
  15. Elana

Elana Member

Name:
    Elana
    Screenshot_20161110-213154.png Screenshot_20161110-213205.png Screenshot_20161110-213216.png Screenshot_20161110-213154.png l An interesting article for anyone inclined to read it...
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    I have previously read the article which is predominantly aimed at American showline Breeders who’s Gsd’s are very different in breed type and structure to the Germanic type which is prominent in the UK. So am not sure what your point is?

No one is saying that the showline is perfect or there are no dogs with less than desirable backlines.

Instead of looking for faulty dogs on the internet, all those quick to condemn should get out there and have a serious look, see the dogs in the flesh and see them for what they are not what they THINK they are. Attend a German/British Sieger show you might be surprised.

For those interested in ‘backlines’ and how it all began this is an excellent article.
    The Back of the German Shepherd Dog - development, structure & function.
    http://www.louisdonald.com/the-evolution-of-the-back-of-the-gsd.html
  17. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    I stated my opinion as "show lines are not my cup of tea" if that's too harsh a judgement. Then its too harsh a judgement. But its my judgement. Not yours. So of course, i got it right.

What exact illness the dog suffers from in the horror photo i posted, is irrelevant, its the hideous look of the sloping spine. Graphic. Yes. And thoughtless, that the dog, or the owner may see it, or get to know of it, being used in such a way. I have now considered this perspective. And i cant change what i posted.

lighten up folks.
    Im a working line GSD lover, and a conformation line governance opposer. The best predictor of the future is the past. And we ruined the GSD. In my opinion. Not yours, just mine. i can only speak to what i know
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Perhaps you should read your first post again ?
    I’m totally fine with people defending their personal kind of dog, even if I think different
    What I don’t like are unfounded accusations and unproven assertions.