The GSD VS the Lab or Golden Retriever Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by DrIvEn, Jun 6, 2007.

1. DrIvEn

DrIvEn New Member

Name:
    Aimee

The GSD VS the Lab or Golden Retriever

I am interested in owning a GSD. I have some questions about them though. I've been doing as much research as I can on them.

Is it true that GSDs are more of the independent type that's not like labs or goldens who seem to say "hey! you're home! I've missed you so much! I just want to be near you and love you". I heard that GSDs aren't like that as much in the way they give their affection and love. Is this true?

Also, one thing that I've always loved about the dogs that I've owned is that they are very fun and silly. I heard that GSDs are more of the serious type who don't like to be silly nutcases as much. Haha I just like silly dogs. It makes them fun.

Anyways, these have been the questions I have been wondering about. How does a GSD compare to a lab or a golden? I'm also thinking about possibly getting a lab or a golden retriever. I know I will at some point but the question is which one I will be getting first. A GSD or a lab or golden. How different are they and what are their main differences?

Also, is it true that GSDs need ALOT more exercise then a lab or a golden retriever would? Will they get destructive without enough exercise?

And one more question... In comparison to labs and golden retrievers how well do GSDs do if left alone for up to 5 hours or so during the day if me and my husband (not yet but soon) are both at work?

Thanks everyone for any information you can offer! I've been debating on which one to get for quite awhile now. The kind of dog I am looking for is one who is fun and silly, loyal and affectionate, inteligent and eager to please who will be ok left alone at home for awhile during the day while I'm at work and won't get destructive out of lack of exercise if he has to get by some days with just a few walks and a big yard to play and run around in.

So... a GSD or... a lab or golden?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dori-katie

dori-katie New Member

Name:
    Sarah-Jane Ruthwell
    Hi
    I can answer some of your questions as we have a GSD and a Golden.

Well Katie our GSD is very loving and is more so to my hubby, she does give me cuddles but she love my hubby more, he says they are a breed that seem to stick to one person but she is a cute when she wants a cuddle, she snuggles us on the bed more than the Goldie.

She can be silly not as silly as Dori (goldie) they have different silly ways which is nice they are not the same.

Katie doesn't stop unless we both sit down she wont and still then sometimes she still wants you to throw a ball or something.
    She misses us a lot when we go out, she goes mad when we walk in but We are lucky we have both sets of parents who come around if we have to be out more than 3 hours.

well that is our mad pair :mrgreen: