The Recovery Position Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Oct 13, 2022.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

The Recovery Position

It seems a while since I posted anything about Tally. Partly due to Charles illness and death, and partly because I have difficulty walking, I'm afraid we haven't been leading a very active life. Nevertheless she is my chubby clown, happy to sleep when there's nothing better to do, so she couldn't have been a better choice.
    She does have some enlarged throat nodes and though she has had two courses of AB's and cortisone there has only been a slight improvement. She also had a CT scan and some slides taken from her nodes - and a fatty lump on a hind leg. These proved negative for the big C, (I'm pleased to say), so at present all we can do is keep watch and hope that nothing develops. As she has spent a couple of days at he vets, it seemed the right time to have her spayed. She never appeared to notice that she had a tummy wound, and decided that this would be an appropriate recovery position.

IMG_20220930_185334.jpg IMG_20220930_185341.jpg
    Apologies for the T-shirt backdrop.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    That is a beagle!!!!!!

Snoopy laying on his back on top of his dog house Beagle. ;)
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    She sounds like a happy and easy going dog. I’m so glad that you have each other!!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Tally, you tart :)

Clever girl keeping her wound aired.

It sounds like a match made in heaven for you Carole you seem so suited.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    IMG_20221014_132109_burst_01.jpg

Mummy's girl.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Beautiful Tally - mummy's little girl, just like Tikva is my little girl. Both of them came to us for a reason.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    She's gorgeous Carole. I bet she brings you a lot of joy even in the worst of times
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Chris B like this.
    I have to say it would be a lonely life without Tally, and despite the hefty vet bill, I'm very glad that she came to live here. I have allowed her get a bit too clingy, but we have a one sided conversation all day. She looks as if she is listening and I hardly notice that there is no input from her side! She isn't a clever Beagle like Eddie, or an elegant one like Merry, but she is a very kind hound. She loves people, kids and other dogs, and never objects to having her nails, teeth or whatever dealt with. As @Malka says, she must have come for a purpose.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Helidale likes this.
    Tally is as perfect for you, Carole, as Tikva is for me. Tikva tends to follow me around, almost as if she is making sure I am OK - she never used to but I have face-planted on the floor a few times recently, which seemed to have concerned her, so now it seems that she thinks I need watching over. If I do not want her following me I as I will only be a few minutes I usually tell her that I am going into the kitchen or bedroom for something or other and will be back in a minute, so she just goes to where she can see me. Same with the loo, but in that case I tell her she does not need to come with me as I can manage by myself!

I frequently wonder what people would think if they could hear me, telling Tikva where I am going and what I am doing all the time, but I think it is good for me and good for her, and I do not really care what other people think.

She is not really clingy, and is most definitely not a cuddle pup [unless it is one of her beloved men, or any of the little children who come to say hello to her when she is in the front yard]. When she decides she wants to go into her crate at night she is happy enough for me to switch the bedroom light off and for me to come back and carry on with whatever I was doing. The same in the mornings. She knows when I get up - an eye opens and peers at me - but most mornings she does not eep to let me know she wants to get up until I have been up for maybe an hour or two.

Tikva is happy to fit in with my lifestyle, just as I am sure that Tally is happy to fit in with yours, Carole.
  11. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    We are both lucky to have found the dog to suit us. I would have loved another Merry or Eddie - but how could I train all that competitive stuff these days, let alone compete. I'd be doing well to get to the ring, and there's no chance of putting any style into my presentation.
    The three BIG things in Tally's world are food, sleep and cuddles. She never wants to get up in the morning, and sleeping is her default activity. She can seem to be sound asleep, but if I say, 'Want a cuddle', she's on my knee like a shot.
    There are two things that I feel guilty about - she does miss her walks, (and it is showing in her waistline), and she does cry when other dogs pass the gate. Beagles are pack animals but all I can do for her is to book a dog walker, and take her to the occasional Beagle meet. I would love another dog so she could play chase me, but it just isn't the right time.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Tikva does not miss walks because once she was able to be taken out [due to Parvo being in the area she couldn't even go out in the yard], she just would not go. I would take her out on The Silver Monster but trying to drive up the ramp and up with her on a lead, actually walking, was a total no-no. So I tried taking her out on my lap and as soon as I put her down on the ground she would leap up again.

She goes in the yard on a 12m lightweight tether, and apart from missing a couple of times due to lockdowns, Ram has seen her every three months for her Parkworm shot and whatever else is due at the time. He has to weigh her to know how much of the vaccine to draw, and as my scales are in the ensuite at the far end of the bungalow, he walks through with her under his arm, feeling her all over in the process. And he reckons she is very healthy and obviously gets enough exercise from racing around the yard on her tether. And oh can she race! 12m might not sound all that long, but for a small dog it gives her more than enough space to rush around, especially if she sees someone or something she does not like the look of - chasing backwards and forwards like a little lunatic!

She is not food orientated - she loves her food but never nags for it, or for more, and I am very strict with the amounts because we do not want her to gain weight. She does not get any treats - just two little chews she has in the evening which she chombles but does not eat, and then one very small bikki when she goes into her crate at night. And she is happy.

Tikva adores Ram, and he adores her. Last time he was here, as he was going he turned round, looked at her, told her she was beautiful - then said to me that I could not have had a more perfect dog for my situation.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    True. Strange how these things work out!
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    @Helidale could you have an occasional play date at your home with a neighbor dog or one of the beagle meet beagles? That might give her a bit more pack time without putting too much pressure on your current ability level.

I have also found that just going for a car ride will appease the dogs' need to "go out". Tornado-dog loves drive thrus - ever since one very nice employee gave him a cup of whipped cream. Cat dog loves rides as she can see the world and still be safe from dog attacks. So, if they start getting antzy, I take then to pick up my prescriptions, etc. In winter, they can wait in the car while I do the costco run, etc.
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    My dogs love going for a drive!! Katie Mae always calls shotgun
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I do take her with me when I drive. She is keen to go - but not so keen to be left in the car while I shop or whatever. She will get used to it. She expects a walk when I come back to the car, but the most I can manage is 50 yards! Sometimes I drive to the country park. If I put her on a 10metre Flexi lead she can have a good sniff about and I don't have to worry about her taking off after a furry scent. She does like to retrieve. I don't know why but she prefers doing it indoors, but it's a good wet weather game. I would quite like to find a doggy friend for her, but haven't had any luck so far.
  17. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Rosie can't walk too far now because of the arthritis in the toes of her back legs, but boy does she love to ride on my knee on the mobility scooter. She's so comfy on it that when she gets tired, she lays down and goes to sleep. Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a dog :)
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Moose-dog and Bat-dog preferred to get out after a car ride. Cat-dog prefers to stay in the car where she is safe.

Tornado-dog would prefer to get out, but as long as I stop at any drive thru he is content. He's so funny about it. As soon as we drive up next a building, he knows there is a drive thru coming. So he stsnds between the front seats and leans across me to look out the window. He will watch the employee carefully to see if they are going to bring him a treat. They cannot miss him because he is literally covering my face by leaning against me to watch them. He really wants a treat, but he is happy with an "aren't you cute!". Sometimes, the person doesn't even acknowledge him and that is disappointing. I can usually tell before we get to the window if it will be a disappointing stop or not.

Meanwhile his sister Cat-dog is sitting politely in the backseat like the perfect dog she is.
  19. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and Helidale like this.
    B6B7C3B1-7E66-4346-9C06-88699059B4C2.png Darkstar used to love the drive through at the bank. I haven’t been to a drive through in ages. He used to listen to, and wait for, the delivery of the plastic container through the vacuum tube. The tellers always sent him a treat. I definitely miss him. He’s the dog that got me hooked on Akitas. He was such a loyal dog. His eyes were always on me.
  20. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Things are a bit different in the UK. The only drive through that I have seen is MaccyD's - and as I'm a veggie, I'm not a fan.
    Although I have yet to see it enforced, it is illegal to carry a dog in a vehicle without it being restrained, and the fine is supposed to be £1000. In Chas' car Tally had a covered rear seat and a doggy seat belt, but I have always preferred my dogs to have a secured crate, which I think must be more comfortable for them than having to be restrained.
    Probably because I lost my marbles a little when Chas died, I completely forgot to check that my replacement I10 was as doggy friendly as the last one. Of course the newer model has a much higher tailgate, and does not go completely flat in the back! Because it's painful for me to lift her, Tally now has to jump into her crate using a rear door - which she can easily manage provided the door is wide open. After her recent operations, she was looking a little reluctant to try, so I offered her a tiny treat for jumping in. It didn't take any longer than that! She now says , 'I don't know how to do it', without a treat. Exactly who is training who? :115:
  21. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    A drive through bank sounds brilliant.

We have McDonalds and KFC drive through and that's our lot :)