The Rough Collie Ring General Chat

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Baileys Blind, Apr 17, 2012.

1. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
    no contradiction you have no idea how old i am.:017:

how many RCs do you know that work with sheep?:009:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    hello, i am new here. thought id post here.

i have a blue merle rough collie, i grew up with this breed from birth and now have a one year old, alfie.

i do agree that the standard has changed from then, my two sables when i grew up had huge heads! but the 'roman' nose was never correct on the standard at all. A lfies head is very small copared to my two from a child and is also smaller then billy, my other blue merle who i got 15 years ago.

Lassie was in fact a male collie from the US so would always have been much bigger then ours in the uk.

i believe the standard will have evolved in all breeds if you look back to older pics.
  4. Luke

Luke New Member

But even in the uk the dogs always had a much different head to now, never to the fashion of the us but stil much less of a stop than now. My family have had rough since the thirties from some of the now well known kennels, none of there's we're as over the top as many seen in the ring today
  5. Luke

Luke New Member

And pictures would be nice, I love the blue's!
  6. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    yes, our families dog was from pattingham pacemaker, you obviously know him!!!:grin:

i agree the head shape has changed completely, i was shocked when i started looking for another rough after 15 years how much the shape had changed, but i still think they are beautiful and majestic!

i have pics, how do you put them up on here.

you may not like him though (he is from the same kennel as BOB crufts winner!!) :grin:
  7. Luke

Luke New Member

I like all roughs! Upload onto photo bucket hen copy n paste the Img code here :). They are such a special breed, just one that I think some breeders fail to see the wood upon the trees with, and a breed that from a genetic pov needs saving before it edges into dangerous territory !
  8. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    Ok i think you can use photobucket so heres some of alfie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    i quite agree to an extent. although evolution in breeds will always happen.

i do think that some of the dogs shown today are quite overfed and would have trouble moving, as a pastoral breed they shouldn't have that much weight on.
    also have you noticed that they seem to be ageing faster, from some i've seen they have a completely grey muzzle by 2! billy my last rough didnt go grey until about 10 i think!
  10. Luke

Luke New Member

Lovely dog, great depth to the colour and a proper merle! Ur I have noticed the greying, I've also noticed the amount of horror stories about bitches seldomlyncoming into heat/not being fertile etc in certain lines. Very worrying
  11. alfiesblue

alfiesblue New Member

Name:
    emma
    thanks very much, i love him to bits regardless and i do think he has a pretty face even if it is a bit small but that is where the breed has gone. i think his colour is quite nice too.

i was pretty shocked about the greying tbh and i wonder what can be causing it and is it a symptom of premature ageing which in turn affects the whole dog? that is worrying about the bitches too, i had not heard tell of that, although i guess that would be the re homing of the bitches to pet homes.
  12. trude

trude New Member

Name:
    trude
    Azz, Meg and Anne like this.
    IMG_20140220_105656.jpg
  13. trude

trude New Member

Name:
    trude
    My dog Cassie. The old type of rough collie, lassie lookalike.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Cassie is beautiful!
  15. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Cassie looks stunning :049: