The use of terriers as working dogs? Discussions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by Luke, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

The use of terriers as working dogs?

Just wondered what your thoughts on specifically using certain types/breeds of our beloved terrors 'in the field' as vermin dispatchers to attire to try and maintain a natural balance in the world that due to mankinds tampering has been diminshed. No longer IMO is there a natural balance in the woodlands, as certain posts on mxymatosis has revealed mankind in its apprent infinant wisdom has succumbed germ warfare on vermin that leads them to suffer such a death that you wouldn't wish upon your foulest enemy IMHO, mankind use this to attempt to restore the balance, when really it is just yet again meddling. Nowdays it is a rare site to see a spaniel or retriever out trotting by heel out on a shoot, or to see a terrier rustling through the bushery and such on the look out for looming vermin, such things like this that are now diminshing are IMO leading to such an unatural balance in our world today!

We must remember when the terrier breeds were 'created' they were done so in such a manner that they could do the job efficientlly, i am sure any other person on board can assure you a terrier when working does not draw anything out, in a working terriers eyes it isthere to do a job and this job must be done as quickly and correctlly as possible!

It has become somewhat apprent that certain native breeds are becoming increasinglly scarce three terriers that spring to mind if i am correct are the Bedlington, the wheaten and my beloved Dandie dinmonts. All breeds that were bred for a purpose and as the years have rolled on certain terriers have fallen from the field doing what they were bred for, and they have begun to be taken around the show ring, now this is all fine and 'dandie' (excuse the word play) but when a certain breed begins to be reduced to such minimalistic numbers that a certain breeds only last year had roughly 81 new puppies registered with th Kennel Club. These are the breeds who are rare, beutiful, dogs who once were such highly prized for their ability are now so to speak, verging on extinction! it is unexecptable in my eyes that certain breeds fall to such devestatingllly low numbers whilst other pack out the rescue centres! Certain terriers that are on the endangered native breeds list, are breeds which are high matienance and the working blood which flows through their veins is more predominant then others! Certain terriers aren't suited to the indoor pet home, they require the life that only being used mainly 'in the field' can give them. Many 'working terrier' people are aiming on bringing certain terrier breeds out of the show ring and back into the field, my Florrie is a perfect example, she carrying the Dandie Dinmont blood, but these terrier people are left with little option when they acquire a rare terrier for working and want to breed it is hard to find a suiter of the same breed so it is looked onto a simailr breed that is also currentlly doing well 'in the field' resulting in crosses, which do the vermin dispatch job very well, but are often looked down upon as are the people who own them and/or have bred them!

Terriers being used in the field for working is something that flows through their veins, i pose a question to all those terrier owners out their who don't work their dogs.
    Have you seen that glint your terriers get within their eyes when they see something move in the distance? or how excited they get when they smell the scent of something strange? or how they act and look when they are furrowing around under bushed and dissapearing down holes?
    this is what we who work our terriers experience all the time with our dogs, our dogs fullfilling the purpose for their creation!

I, personally am 100% for using terriers 'in the field' for working vermin, i think it is them doing what comes natural, it isn't glorified when terriers work, it is far from made a hoo hare of, it isn't anything apart from what it is a balance being regained. And the dogs themselves well, from these pics would you say these terriers where happy, healthy and well loved?

2 JRT's and 1 west highland white terrier cross Dandie Dinmont terrier
    [​IMG]
    Dandie Dinmont terrier
    [​IMG]
    West Highland White Terrier
    [​IMG]
    West Highland White Terrier
    [​IMG]
    Patterdale terrier
    [​IMG]
    all terrier belonging to me or family members and friends including the Dandie Dinmont terrier and 1st westioe who are florries parents, and aswell as beloved pets all used as working dogs, all IMO look very happy and content with life :) do you agree?

So i put to youu terrier owners and terrier lovers, do you agree with terriers used 'in the field'?
    Best wishes
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    this is defo why i dont think staffys and ebts should be in the terrier group! nice dogs luke!
  4. ooee

ooee New Member

.............deleted
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    yep agree tuti and thats why i think there should be a bull and mastiff group! ill say no more in here!
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    To be honest i think it is a really good feeling to see a dog at work,doing what is bred to do.
    My oh is from a farming background and loves the working dogs especially the working terriers.
  7. bobbie3917

bobbie3917 New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    i agree with you a little Hayley in that there is little terrier a the SBT, i would not say that they cant work as some can and do and very well at that

(ps luke didnt read your post as could not be botherd scrolling back and far can u make the pic smaller?)
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I know some super working Staffies that are used as Vermin control, they are brilliant and at least one who will retrieve birds to hand, I dont think SBT's get the credit they deserve, some do an admirable job.

Cannot comment on Tuti's post cos I didnt see it!

I use my Terriers for Vermin control, Rats, Rabbits, Squirrels and Foxes. I also use one for gundog work, retrieving, finding, marking etc.. Its something I hope remains, as the thought of poisoning, snaring, gassing and shooting does not appeal.
    Dawn.

Terrier or Gundog?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    what lovely pics borderdawn.
  10. strawboss

strawboss New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Great pics Borderdawn! He(?) looks happy, I like the first one best!
  11. ooee

ooee New Member

LOL lovely dog BD :)

I have to say i'm not they type who would use my dog for vermin control or hunting, simply because seeing dead animals really upsets me :( I have been known to cry when I was younger, watching lions chasing zebras on TV :roll:

For those who do though, I respect the fact that using terriers for ratting is far more humane than using poison or other means... something I have only learned since being on DW! :D

Fox hunting... no comment :lol: don't want to have a debate LOL
  12. Honesty

Honesty New Member

totally FOR the use of terriers in the field...or barn, or hay loft etc..LOL

We live in a rural area, and most farmers I know have a few terriers, some crosses, some not, ALL working ratters. I believe it is the best form of pest control in a farm situation, where poison is not only inhumane, but also dangerous to the livestock you are trying to proctect from the rats in the first place.

My Parson works every day, that is her job, her reason for being here, that, and being such a good friend and companion. I don't think she would cope as a sole house pet, as she was raised on a farm and lived outside before we got her, and hunts even if we don't need her to. It's great to see a terrier spinning in circles, giddy as hell, cause they've dug a nest out for you.. really proud of themselves.. :grin: She takes herself working, mostly when I'm mucking out the horses..
  13. bagoratz

bagoratz New Member

Or about tail docking either ;-) !
  14. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Thing is we have to eradicate vermin or give up and let the human race decline, can understand a vegetarian would find the death of an animal difficult to deal with but they may also find being overrun with disease bearing vermin hard to deal with too.

What has tail docking got to do with the control of vermin apart, of course, where the safety of the dog is concerned.
  15. bagoratz

bagoratz New Member

Sorry, thought I'd just said I didn't want to get into a debate about it???
  16. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    You have me confused, why did you post on the thread then?
  17. petebren

petebren New Member

I agree with you Luke, your pics are d
    adorable, I live in Dandy Dinmont land and would hate to lose them, I hate it when certain breeds become so rare due to not being fashionable, dandys are so cute and their eyes, aaaah, enjoyed your thread, x
  18. bagoratz

bagoratz New Member

It was meant 'tongue in cheek' - I would not enter into a debate about fox hunting anymore than tail docking - had too many of them
  19. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Did not think this debate was about that, although if you are talking about vermin dogs both subjects could legitimately be included but I had not noticed that anyone had mentioned the docking of terriers or their use with foxes.
    As far as I can see you were the only one to mention it - guess I did not realise it was tongue in cheek ;-)
  20. bagoratz

bagoratz New Member

I never said anything about the original post being a 'debate' anyway - I was merely responding specifically, tongue in cheek, to the post ooee made - shall we leave it there???!
  21. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    By all means, lets get back to the subject of terriers as working dogs.