Tibetan Spaniel Discussions

Discussion in 'Tibetan Spaniel' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Tibetan Spaniel

Tibetan Spaniel
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sarseydog

Sarseydog New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Hello! We are new to this forum. We are the new owners of a tibetan spaniel. Any other owners out there?:p
  4. katrina777

katrina777 New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    I have a tibbie :) he is a little star :)
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    What's it like to live with a tibetan spaniel. My OH looked one up by mistake (I'd mentioned a tibetan terrier!) I'd never heard of them before.
    They seem really hard to find, when I looked there were no pups at all in Scotland.
    I really liked the look of them , but just wondered how they were for exercise, their nature etc.
  6. katrina777

katrina777 New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    hihihi we may be having a litter of Tibetan spaniel cross shih-tzu.... we got our boy from a lady in Melton Mowbray, that is in Leicester. That was nearly 8 years ago though... but I presume she is still breeding them. My boy’s father was the tibby who won crufts five years earlier and she was breeding for crufts.

tibbies, like all the Tibetan breeds, need less walking than your traditional dog. for example, a spaniel will need much exercise in comparison. But they love to walk, and will take as much as you give them!

However, you must know that tibbies must NEVER be let of the lead - the breeder told me that they have some crazy instinct in them to start running in a random direction and they don’t stop!

If you want a dog who will be all over you, treating you like a god because you are a human, then this may not be the breed for you. They are too smart to think we are perfect. They love their family, and adore children, but are not silly dogs. Unlike my shih-tzu, despite them having the same ancestry.

tibbies have a sense of humour, they are very smart! My boy likes to train the animals who come into the house, he litter trained the cat by woofing at her if she was thinking about being naughty. He also trained her not to scratch the furniture, or people, the same way. She loves him and he loves her. :) He loves rats we have owned, and dogs, rabbits, and my sister’s chickens who have visited on occasion lol
  7. katrina777

katrina777 New Member

Name:
    Katrina
  8. katrina777

katrina777 New Member

Name:
    Katrina
  9. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hi!
    I'm new to the forum. I'm English, live in Hungary with my cat and two 18 month old dogs, M'boi a Shar-Pei and Chloe a Tibetan Spaniel - my 3 Hungarian girls!
    I'm not sure how to begin to explain what it's like owning a Tibetan Spaniel other than it's quite an experience as they're "special" little dogs, highly intelligent, energetic and very quick witted..... I could write a book about her.
    Chloe was just six weeks old when I bought her and no bigger than a tin of baked beans wrapped in a furry jacket. I soon found out this adorable looking little creature had a mind of her own and for the next six months we battled over who was going to be the boss.
    Tibbie are known to be the "Great Escape Artists of the Doggy World" and Chloe was (and is) no exception. She can climb like a mountain goat, wriggle through the tiniest hole like a snake, burrow her way out like a rabbit and run as swift as a greyhound. She's never let out unless on a lead because if she gets loose she'll lead me a merry dance across ploughed field, through hedges and woods. (I now send M'boi who's sensible and calm to find her and bring her home).
    Having said all that the good news is, now she's older she grown into a very loving little dog, who snuggles up to me at night and gives me lots of doggy kisses. She's also an excellent watch dog and a comic who'll keep you entertained with her antics for ages. I love her to bits!
  10. cardy9

cardy9 New Member

Hi I am new to this forum. I have to say that I disagree about not letting Tibetan Spaniels off their lead. We have a charming 3 year old bitch who we have had since she was 12 weeks old.
    I agree totally that they are different to other breeds, though I find them adorable.
    The Tibetan Spaniel has a very independant nature, so that when she finds something more interesting will go and investigate and no amount of calling her back will change her mind, BUT when she is satisfied that she is finished, THEN she will return to you.
    So basically I am saying that as long as you are willing to put up with this quirkiness then the Tibetan Spaniel is a lovely dog. Of course you can always just keep her on a lead, but think that both you and her will miss out a lot.
    Perhaps I should add that I have worked hard to "train" my Tibbie.!!!
  11. katrina777

katrina777 New Member

Name:
    Katrina
    You sound like you are attempting to offend/attack owners who care too much about their pet to risk letting it off the lead in a public space. Of course every owner is willing to take different levels of risk regarding their pet; this always depends on how much they love them.

The woman who warned me not to let a tibby off the lead was, as I have mentioned, breading crufts champions, so I would always consider her knowledgeable advice over someone like … yourself, ‘cardy9’.
  12. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    As you rightly say Cardy9, my Tibetan Spaniel Chloe, if let loose, will eventually come back home when she's finished exploring, knowing that however, for me isn't a good enough reason for leaving off her lead.

I suspect my situation is rather different to yours in that I live in a tiny village in Hungary where all the dogs with the exception of my two live outside (in all weathers) either tethered to a chain in the yard or left to roam. Some of them are quite aggresive as I know from my own experience when I was threatened by a neighbour's dog who was later "put down" for attacking his owner and naturally I'm worried for not only Chloe's safety but also that of my other dog.

For the past two weeks daytime temperatures have hovered around -9C and we've 6" of snow on the ground which is no problem for my Shar-Pei but Chloe needs to be warmly dressed before going out because she gets cold so very quickly...... I'd hate to think how long she'd survive if she went on one of her "walkabouts".

My greatest concern is for Chloe's wellbeing... I'd be absolutely devastated if she was harmed by a dog or suffered from hypothermia which is why I prefer to be safe than sorry by keeping her on a lead.

I'm very conscious however of the restrictions a lead places on both Chloe and me, and also to a lesser extent my other dog. As soon as the weather is warmer I intend to have a section of my garden fenced (hopefully made "Tibbie-proof") where she can run and play without my having to worry about her. .... another expense... but one that's truly worth it!
  13. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I really like the look of the TS but I have to admit I would find it strange not to have a dog that could be let off leash. I realise they don't need as much exercise as my goldie does but I don't know if I would want one dog off leash in the fields and the other on a lead when out a walk.
    Do TS owners never let them off leash, or do you use a long line, do they even need to be off leash actually or is a few walks a day enough for them.
    I quite like the sound of their quirky natures, one more thing, are they yappy dogs.
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    maybe a bit off topic, but can i ask why you are having a litter of tibetan x shi tzus?
  15. cardy9

cardy9 New Member

I think that you have misunderstood my post. I was simply trying to say that it IS possible to let Tibetan Spaniels off the lead.
    I would also point out that there is no such thing as a Crufts Champion.!. There is a Supreme Champion, ie the winner of BIS at Crufts, which has never been won by a Tibetan Spaniel and of course there are dogs that get the cc and BOB in their breed as at any other Ch Show.

I too have had/bred and shown Champion dogs as well as being involved in obedience training for many years. So I think that I may be permitted to have some knowledge of dogs and still learning.
    I find it offensive of you to suggest that perople who love their dogs would not let them off lead.
    As I have said before, with proper training they are able to be let off and I know many Tibetan Spaniels who are allowed their freedom.
  16. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    We met 3 Tibetan spaniels at a dog show yesterday.

One of them kept barking at Parker and the owner said she was scared of bigger dogs. Parker likes little dogs very much so he stood by and wagged his tail at her and she came and had a sniff.
  17. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I sometimes wish my Chloe was a bit more scared ..... she loves every living creature ... her two favourite human beings are the postman and the vet!
    Seventh heaven for her is the drive into town as we have to go through several villages where she'll see not only cats and dogs but sheep, horses and cows!
    Chloe sits on the back window ledge and as we approach a village she starts quivering in anticipation .... when she sees one of her beloved creature she goes all starry eyed and makes a funny "twittering" noise.
    It's the same on the way back and by the time we get home she's so exhausted she's straight into the house, onto the sofa where she promptly falls asleep
  18. BonniesMummy

BonniesMummy New Member

Name:
    Sarah Jane
    Hi everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone if these dogs ever came into rescue? I would rather rescue than get a puppy, as i have always had rescue dogs.

I had a cavalier KCS, but she passed away in Feb 2010 and in six months or so, once we have found our foster doggy a new home I will maybe be looking at another small dog, and i absolutely adore the look of these.

xx
  19. cardy9

cardy9 New Member

If you contact the breed sec, she will tell you about any in rescue. Not sure if I am allowed to put details on here.
  20. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    You can find out if there are any rescue Tibbies available in the UK by logging on to tibbies.net which is the UK Tibetan Spaniels Network, (not to be confused with tibbie.net which is a US website). There's a whole section devoted to Tibbie rescues.

My Chloe is both the joy and the bane of my life but I wouldn't change her for all the world. She's a happy go lucky little dog with the quirky personality which distinguishes Tibbies from other breeds.

The best advice I can offer is that before you settle for a Tibetan Spaniel you learn as much as possible about them to find out whether this rather "special" breed is right for you.
  21. rune

rune

I didn't know you could get breaded Crufts champions----cod I knew about.

rune