Tips For New Samoyed Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Samoyed' started by Arianne07, May 27, 2023.

1. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne

Tips For New Samoyed Puppy

How should i brush their teeth ? And how often should i give them a bath as a puppy and grown up ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    It is good to start with a light brushing with a gentle brush right from the start so it just becomes part of the grooming routine. I use a Colgate toddler toothbrush which I find easier to handle than the ones that are angled for dogs. Pick a dog toothpaste rather than a human one - the enzymatic ones, (Logic and Virbac CET), help to prevent tartar forming and will protect the areas that you can't easily reach with your brush.
    I only bath my dogs if they need it - if they smell, have fleas or skin problems, have rolled in something dirty or smelly, or if they are going to a special occasion - like a show.
    Hope this helps.
  4. Arianne07

Arianne07 New Member

Name:
    Arianne
    Thank you . May I also ask how you deal with exercising ur dog when it is raining ? Because i know they can be very active .
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes and CaroleC like this.
    I'm afraid it's raincoats on and away you go.

If it is one heck of a rainstorm, it doesn't hurt if they miss a day walking just try to add a lot of play and training at home to compensate
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Mid to large breed dogs usually take to cold and wet weather better than small breed dogs. He may backslide in his potty training when the weather starts getting rainy - many young dogs and puppies decide that peeing and pooping inside is preferable to doing it outside in the wet, cold and/or snow. So be sure to put him back on a regular schedule of potty breaks every couple hours and go out with him to make sure he pees and poops. You want to reinforce that potties are done outside regardless of weather. Fortunately, samoyeds are cold weather dogs, so he should have less issue with this than other breeds, but just be aware and make sure he goes potty when he's outside.

You will want to keep a towel handy by the door to dry him off a bit before coming back inside.

Most dogs are fine with a few days of little to no outdoor play. Just give him lots of attention at home - it doesn't even have to include a lot of physical activity. Just keep his brain exercised with toy games and interaction.