Tips on my new mastweiler please!! General Chat

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by lees, Aug 25, 2010.

1. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa

Tips on my new mastweiler please!!

Hi guys,
    Ive just got my new pup she is a rottie cross bullmastiff, was just wondering anyone else on here with this mixed breed who may have any tips. How you found their temperemant etc..? Ive raised a few dogs over the years from retreiver to my last dog being a full rottie however its been a while since raising a pup and with my last dog my husband was around to help with alot of the training. Rotties are one of my fave breeds as i found my last dog a great companion great with my children and very protective of us all and his home! I decided on this mixed breed as i also love the bullmastiff breed. She is only 7 weeks old and a real little love and i have lots of the puppy issues to overcome.:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever New Member

Name:
    Robyn
    One important thing i would say is socilise her loads, starts carrying her about outside to see, hear.... everything. But don't put her down on the ground until she has been vaccinated.
    Let her see.... other dogs, mix with dogs that are friendly and vaccinated, children, transport....
  4. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    oh yeah for sure always children around her and yes will be introducing her to vaccinated dogs
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Need pictures:)
  6. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    sorry to be the cynical negative one, but whats the purpose of this cross?
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Without trying to put words in the OP's mouth, I don't know the origin of this particular pup, but many of these mixes are accident, but also there are a lot of this type of mix in all the rescues as they are two so called status dogs, big dangerous looking dogs which many people own for protection or just to 'look hard' then if you have one and your friend has the other, puppies are 'the next step'.

The majority of these dogs are actually big gentle giants.

I'm sure the Op has a lovely pup regardless of its origins...
  8. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    mmm good question but, i think that could be asked about any cross breeds what is the purpose for any of them. after researching 'mastweiler' online im guessing breeders think this is a good mix of two dogs as i do but again anyone owning mixed breeds i guess think the same?
  9. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    i agree about the 'status' dog thing and it is wrong, my last rottie was probably one of the biggest ive seen and anything but dangerous! however would protect his family if needed, as most dogs. yes many people buy these dogs to look hard, another ridiculous action. no matter how big or dangerous looking(i personally dont find them dangerous looking) these dogs are, they are still dogs as any other and its such a shame they get into the wrong hands:-(
  10. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i agree about what is the purpose of any crossbreed... some are purposely breed for health reasons like the lua dalmation, which i think is great... but some have no purpose. i just dont understand how a mix of the two breeds can be better than the individual breeds themselves.
  11. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    yes thats something to be questioned, i agree also with magpye that alot of these are accidents by careless owners or those looking to make a quick bit of cash, which saddens me a bit! i just know i like both breeds so to me seems a nice mix sure id love whatever dog i had
  12. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine

LB I don't suppose the OP is any more responsible for this crossbred dog's breeding, than you are for Jake's. There have been some fairly negative posts towards newbies with crossbreeds recently which does give the impression they are not welcome to Dogsey. Which isn't true, the more the merrier, regardless of breeding.
  13. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    Thanx for that post i was starting to wonder if it was a forum just for purebred:?:having owned and owning pure bred pedigree and now a cross breed aswell i stand by the fact a dog is dog whatever breed it is still your pet:grin:
  14. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine

You are very welcome here. We are a very diverse bunch. ;-) And that's just the owners!! :lol:
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Is it black or tan or fawn?
  16. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have no experience of owning either breed so can't give advise on the cross as such but I have seen an adult of the same type and it was just beautuful looking.

It was a sandy colour with a black mask.
  17. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I seen a english mastiff cross rottie before had a massive head ,..lol
  18. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Oh yes some pics would be lovely, please? Let us know if you need some help with getting the pics up.
  19. steve78

steve78 New Member

Name:
    steve
    ye who cares what breed its the training what matters!!
    welcome to dogsy and please we need pics :mrgreen:
  20. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    She has all the rottie colours except the tan on her muzzle isn't as prominent as full rottie and slight white marking on her chest
  21. lees

lees New Member

Name:
    lisa
    thank u, that what i was thinking, surely breed doesnt matter whatever pup u get u must put the right training in