To Cuddle or Let Whine General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Felicia Eason, Oct 24, 2019.

?

Where are you at with crate training?

1. Let whine

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Get him and cuddle

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia

To Cuddle or Let Whine

My husband and I have two different opinions about whether or not letting our 13wk old frenchie whine while in Crate at night.

Me: I think it teaches him that is where he stays at night and has to learn by whining he isn't going to get out. He whines twice a night and I'll take him outside then back in Crate.

Husband: He thinks by leaving him in Crate it teaches him it's ok to whine. But also shows him we are neglecting him when he wants to cuddle.

I understand what he is saying but if he wants him Crate trained at night I dont feel like that is going to help. W

How do you feel?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Jeff Crook likes this.
    He's 13 weeks old and still very much a baby.

The happy medium is to move the cage to the side of your bed and once you bed him down, if he whines, reassure him he's ok by dropping your arm down for him to sniff and take comfort from
  4. Felicia Eason

Felicia Eason New Member

Name:
    Felicia

This didnt work for us. It's like as long as he can see us or know we are close by it gets worse. He isn't just whine slightly it's the full blown screeching. My kids say he is singing.

Maybe I have his crate too big for him. We went ahead and got the 36x24x27 for when he gets older. So he has a pup pad and a bed in it. I only did the pup pad because he would pee in his bed, towel, and little cushion pad every night. I've washed them all just about everyday because he doesnt hold his pee in and I get up about every 2-3 hrs to take him outside because he is so loud. But by the time I get to him he has already peed. I take his food and water away 2hrs before we go to bed.

We have not had a puppy in so long. I feel like I'm doing this all wrong.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you intend to keep your puppy's crate in your bedroom permanently, or is it just for now as he is very young and new to both you and his new surroundings. If you intend to move it into your kitchen or elsewhere when he is a bit older, it might be an idea to start it sooner rather than later, so it is easier for you to ignore him and for him to learn not to keep waking you in the night. I know he is only a baby but he should be able to go more than a couple of hours without peeing and I do not think that four or so hours at night is asking too much of him.

The problem is that the longer you keep getting up to see to him when he wants you to, the longer it will go on.

I do not think the size of his crate is that important - my 4½ year old small [6.7kg] dog has a smaller crate than the one you have, which although is plenty big enough for her now, she has slept in since she was tiny scrap of a 3 week old. I used to line it with a puppy pee pad, with a soft blanket, a couple of soft toys and a shirt of mine at her sleeping end. Obviously at that age she used to eep during the night when she wanted a bottle, but once she was weaned she very quickly managed to sleep through the night.