Today of all days [rolls eyes] General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Today of all days [rolls eyes]

The electric company had to switch off the power to enable them to trim the tops of a lot of trees that were overhanging and interfering with the overhead cables. And decided to do it this morning without any warning.

Apart from it being diabolically hot so with no air-conditioning it was difficult to breathe, this morning just about everything was on charge, the washing m/c was half way through its second wash, the first lot being in the dryer so both stopped. My emergency button obviously was off as even though the speaker/amplifier is connected to my second telephone line, it also has to be plugged into a power socket.

Cordless telephones everywhere but of course cordless ones do not work if the "mother" one has no power. I do have two landline extensions but one is on the wall in the kitchen and the other in my bedroom, and there is no way I could get to either if they rang before whoever was calling hung up, which is why I have so many cordless extensions so wherever I am one is within reach. [Israelis seem to think that if someone they are calling does not pick up the telephone within four rings they are not in, and rarely leave a message on the answerphone.]

And my little mobile phone was also on charge, as was Xanadu.

SIGH
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You would think they could pre-warn you! Not that that would help with the A/C.
    Hope everything is back on and nothing has been spoiled.
    It is roasting hot here too, sweat drips off me and runs in my eyes, so I soon look like a wet rag. Hope it cools down a little for Merry's show tomorrow.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know there is a heatwave in the UK and I am lucky in that I have a/c, but somehow I did not feel so lucky this morning when everything went off with no warning - I think it was for about three hours, maybe a bit longer. It has thrown my whole day out of kilter as once the power was back on, by the time the washing was all done, dried and put away, it was mid-afternoon and I had not yet had my morning coffee.

Anyhow, all done now B"H and at gone.4.30pm I think I should have some breakfast!

I hope it cools down for Merry's show tomorrow - it must be difficult for dogs [and humans] who are not used to heat. Tikki hates the non-stop heat it and will only just rush out and then back in again if she needs a pee or poo and yet there are plenty of loose dogs about. Maybe it is because she is so short-coated?
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It was lovely here this morning. Warm, but not too warm and we always tend to keep to the shade on our walks so we all enjoyed it. Could have done without the massive crowds and having to go in early (and by the back roads) to avoid the worst of the traffic and get a parking space, but hey ho.

However, now, it's boiling. I hate it.

Unexpected power cuts are the worst. We rely on electricity so much these days. Apart from anything else, it's boring when it goes down especially as you can guarantee that nothing is charged up to offset it.

Glad you're all back up and running Juli x