TPLO post-op tips Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jun Cotton, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Jun Cotton

Jun Cotton New Member

Name:
    Jun Cotton

TPLO post-op tips

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask if anyone of you had this kind of experience. my aunt's dog, a 7 years old Golden Retriever, had her TPLO surgery 2 weeks ago. And up until now, she's still limping. Though her vet said that it really is normal that they limp after surgery, can I ask how long did it take your dog to make a full recovery? she's still very worried so just wanted to ask for an insights here. please let me know your thoughts. thank you guys~
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    I haven't had a dog that needed this op but I do know a few that have had it. This is usually a very successful operation provided that the owner is scrupulous over the aftercare. Rest is crucial for six weeks, then a gradual reintroduction of exercise. No sitting on furniture, no jumping into cars or or going up stairs. Crate rest is preferable if the dog has been crate trained - otherwise keep her to one room. Outside relief should be on a lead, and if support is needed it should be by using a towel or similar under the dog's belly.
    Remember the actual joint has been levelled, it is bound to be painful, and to be totally pain-free would mean the dog would not feel any need to rest - so some pain can be a good thing.
  4. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Another one that has never returned to read the reply.
    Why do we bother?
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    I don’t respond like I used too. But it’s a kindness to try and help people. You have a lot of knowledge and wisdom. It’s a way of being of service.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    How I see it Carole, is that original poster may not return to see the advice, but others in the same boat may find it useful.
  7. Jun Cotton

Jun Cotton New Member

Name:
    Jun Cotton
    CaroleC likes this.
    i'm sorry for not responding here, just busy with work and stuff. we'll my aunt said her dog is recovering from the surgery well now, but i let her know your reply here. thanks for your time!!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you for responding. Glad to hear that the dog is improving.