Training Portuguese Water Dogs Training

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Azz, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Training Portuguese Water Dogs

What are Portuguese Water Dogs like to train? Are they food or toy orientated? Or do you find it varies depending on the dog?

Just posting as I know we have some PWD owners here and I think the thread might be useful for people interested in getting the breed :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Crusoe is very food oriented. To this day (he's four) I'm pretty heavy handed with the treats (mostly tiny bits of cheese). That'S probably cos the breeder told she always treats her Porties quite heavily when training. Can't begin to tell you how clever they are - akin to Poodles. Crusoe does many tricks and is in a proper Advanced class. He does many dance moves and is pretty good at Agility. Of course he's afab swimmer and has joined the Newfies for summer water trials. Training is eady because they understand so quickly and because they want to please you. However, although they are capable of doing al theobedience easily, they prefer stuff which is on the move to boring repetetive sits downs stays etc. eg water trials,agility , dancing. i
  4. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Wagtails and Azz like this.
    As mentioned before, Porties arecwilful and need arelationship with you in order to work for you.

Attached Files:

5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks Anne - some great info there! :)

Lovely photo :049: (Have you submitted any for the profile yet? If not, you should!)
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    The thing I am learning fast about this breed is their enthusiasm for life and work,, its endless, I think you have to remember this breed is the ultimate working dog (by that I mean working for a living) they have been bred for thousands od yrs to work with man, by his side and use his initiative... he thrives on a job to do, a bored potrie is going to be a nightmare to own.

Anne describes them beautifully, they need to work, something I am fast learning, so far I have been concentrating on his show work, but I feel he is going to need something more, I am in the middle of thinking about the good citizen may give that a go for now, I also agree the boring sit ,stay and so on would never be enough for this breed, they think on their feet, they are also (from what I see and are told) struggle with self control, they want it and want it now, channelling this trait for obedience is a challenge, not impossible but you have to keep their mind one step ahead, otherwise they will just get bored with that and do their own thing, for those who enjoy any kind of competing with their dog this breed would surpass in any sport as their DNA is geared to work with and for you.

Ann you mention water work, I think this is when you see the breed in its glory and I wish we could get it off the ground here, some owners/breeders have tried but it does not get the support along with finding the right venue. but when you see a portie in water doing a job its something to behold, I know someone in Portugal who works his dogs in water and I could watch them all day.

Azz if you want to see the breed in its natural environment, youtube porties in water.

They are used as lifeguards along with water trials..

Being food driven is another portie trait, they will sell their soul for food, well Figo would anyway....

I think to sum them up, you need to be an active owner, willing for a challenge, and be prepared for a dog that has a incredible active mind, it will use that brain .... period.
    If you don't want an active wilful dog that you need to channel his mind constantly don't buy a portie.

If you want a dog that will love and devote his life to you , then they will be for you.
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Fantastic info there Jackie - thanks for posting :)
  8. Wagtails

Wagtails New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Thanks for the information on porties.
  9. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Azz likes this.
    Lovely write-up Jackie - and I agree. I think the challenge lies in the (rare?) combination of super high intelligence, wilfulness, and low impulse control. It's a triple whammy!! But, once you understand that boring repetition is not the way to go (you don't need to anyway, as they "get it" pretty damn quick!) then, as far as I have seen with Crusoe, they are a cinch to train. Crusoe did the dance at the dog training Xmas party this year (to Bird Dog by the Everly Brothers!) If I can get my vid to work, I'll try to post.

Totally agree about the water. Those videos you posted a while back (Casa do Buba??) were amazing - made me want to weep! And to have Crusoe in the water all the time! Tho Crusey loves many activities, he is completely ecstactic when he goes for a swim. He will go out in the roughest, coldest of seas and adores it (we are 2 mins from beach in Bournemouth). Again, will try to post vid, if poss!

Apparently, Porties are renowned for showing an even bigger difference between puppy and adult behaviour than most breeds. Absolute live-wires when young (as you describe Figo - and Crusoe was just the same), they DO calm down and are really quite polite and sensible as adults. We actually get comments such as "you wouldn't know there was a dog in the house" fairly often. Crusoe is a great house and cafe dog, really settling, but then loves to race around and play off leash on walks. I'd say Crusoe began to calm down around 18 months and was a proper "young gentleman" from 3 years. Only caveat to that is that Richard Curtis mentioned to me that he thought C's line (Gemson) was "calmer" than the others. Don't know if that is true or not....

Yes, it seems the UK breeders were mighty worried when the Obamas brought Porties to the public eye. Seems to me most are really quite concerned about the breed's welfare and don't like sudden popularity and whimisical interest resulting in abandoned/returned dogs.

U at Crufts Jackie? I'll be there Thurs and Fri......
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz likes this.
    Y
    Agree with all you say I know my breeders older porties are more restrained !!!!

Yes I am there on Thursday...will be around the portie ring watching the judging, then Figo and I will be on the DD STAND from around 11 ish I think come find me and say hi...
  11. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Fab! Think we might find we've already met!! Great fun on Breedia tho, isn't it!
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No
    now you have me intrigued, where ???
  13. curly

curly New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Just a hunch - could be wrong - and might be thinking of the guys from Austwell....
  14. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Aww right, we will see on Thursday !