Trying to get a pup! Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Raphael, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Raphael

Raphael New Member

Name:
    Raphael Garza

Trying to get a pup!

Hello all!

My name is Raphael and I am looking to get a male French bulldog puppy (preferably blue). They are pretty expensive pups, so I am trying to see if there are other ways to acquire one.

In speaking with a gentleman, he was not a breeder, so he was not interested in discounting a puppy in exchange to use him as a stud down the road. So, in saying that, is it possible to find a breeder who would discount a pup in exchange to stud said puppy down the road? I really do not believe in breeding or anything, but I know people do breed for a living and for hobbies. I am just trying to find a route where I do not have to drain my bank account for a dog.

I have previously owned a mini dachshund and chow chow, so I have experience with dogs. Just looking for a new friend.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would say that this idea is a non starter.
    There are too many future unknowns, - health test results, show ring successes etc.
    He would be likely to be too closely related to the breeder's own stock.
    Do you know enough to be able to assess pedigrees, and give advice on bloodlines?
    Do you have enough experience to handle a FB stud dog in a professional manner?
    Do you have the facilities to safely accommodate visiting bitches?
    Do you realise that once used at stud, your dog is likely to start soiling in the house.
    Owning a stud dog may mean cancelling your own arrangements at short notice because a bitch is ready for mating.
    I could go on.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    An afterthought.
    Have you thought of contacting the breed club rescue service for a FB?
    They may not have a puppy on the books, but a young adult might be a possibility.
    There are a few potential health problems with this breed, so insurance might be a good move if you don't have deep pockets.
  5. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Carol, I was more or less thinking the same as you. Raphael I’m not trying to discourage you from getting a puppy but if you can’t afford to pay for one. The breed is probably not for you. They are not only expensive up front but there inherent health problems are also very expensive to maintain. To many times people fall in love with the look of the breed and don’t do there research only to find out down the road they can’t afford the pet. Then unfortunately they are put into adoption centers that are going broke all over county. I own 2 Frenchies and the $$$ never ends. Good luck.
  6. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Buy a cheaper breed!