Vizsla pics Photos

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by novavizz, Oct 8, 2006.

1. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz

Vizsla pics

Some more pics of my Vizslak, Nova aged 13.5 yrs and Tally aged 6.5 yrs.

Nova

[​IMG]

Tally
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    They are gorgeous dogs. Are they easy to train?
  4. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Reasonably, they are very sensitive though and don't respond to any heavy handedness. They are clever dogs, it took me two days, four ten minute sessions, to teach Tally to recall to the whistle!! They do need plenty of free running to keep their heads straight. Oh yes, and they can be destructive when young, and not suited to outdoor living!!!
  5. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Wow that was quick :shock:

Is it easier to train dogs to come back to a whistle than just calling them then :grin:
  6. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    I find it easier. The sound also carries further than voice.
  7. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Have you got any tips then, as i might have a go at training Diesel to a whistle but i have never trained a dog recall with a whistle :grin:

Any info would be really appreciated :lol:
  8. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    So easy with a pup, get a gundog whistle, fairly cheap, only about a couple of quid. I use an ACME 2 10.5. These whistles are replaceable if you lose them as the tone is always the same. Tie it on a boot lace and hang round your neck so it is to hand when ever you need it.

When your puppy is coming towards you, give the whistle signal (I use 2 short blasts for recall), puppy's name and then command - Come (or whatever you want to say, I used FRONT for Russ as his previous owner had hit him when recalling him with the command 'come'!!) Don't forget to treat, I treat three times out of four recalls whist training but Tally is older. She now recalls instantly to the whistle, and takes her time to voice. Always give plenty of praise to your baby.

Some people use three short blasts for recall but I prefer two, that is only personal preference - what ever works for you but be consistant.

One long blast is to teach SIT/Stop. Don't confuse your pup with too much whistle blowing and don't let anyone else mess about with the whistle ie: kids!!!! Good Luck.
  9. Sara1210

Sara1210 New Member

Name:
    Sara

Sounds quite hard :blush:

So if i let him off the lead when he knows his recall do i give a command as well as blow the whistle or do i just blow the whistle :blush:
  10. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Once he is older, and his recall is reliable, the whistle IS the command. Don't let him off lead too soon, and don't forget he is very much a baby and easily distracted.

The best training is done slowly - don't try to rush him - all dogs learn at different speeds. Training should always be fun for both of you.
  11. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Wow your vissies are GORGEOUS! :grin:
  12. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Gorgeous dogs - thanks for sharing :D
    [​IMG]
  13. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Lovely pics.
  14. IanTaylor

IanTaylor

Name:
    Ian
    Beautiful dogs..... and great pics ... Thanks :)
  15. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    Beautiful dogs...
  16. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Vizla's are stunning dogs I love that colour it is so rich, and your 2 always look so calm, the 2 I have met while out walking ( not together ) were complete nutters and incapable of standing still.
  17. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Nova is steady now because she is an old lady, she did everything at double pace when she was a youngster. She has always been obedient though and Tally is just a good girl. Tally is bred from working stock and does respond very well to training. They are a very sensitive breed though and they hate raised voices.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
  18. Willow

Willow New Member

Name:
    Willow
    They're lovely, I saw a wirehaired one once at a gundog training class and it was only 8 months old and I saw first hand what have said that they dont respond well to heavy handling :( . I could have kicked the handler.

Anyway your two are gorgeous and I adore Vizla's :D
  19. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    I wish you had kicked the handler Willow, I hate to see rough handling with any dog but with a Vizzie they just shut down:evil: Poor dog, they probably have no idea about their chosen breed. Thanks for your lovely comments about my two girls. I am really pleased with Tal's progress as I have only had her since Easter this year.
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Gorgeous photos and dogs - I love their colouring.
  21. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Thanks Moobli, the colour is RUSSETGOLD, perfect description don't you think?