WARNING - About Huskies!! (Shedding) Videos

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Stormpants, Sep 18, 2012.

1. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    Husky Owning Rules

1. Never wear black
    2. Pull up your carpets and replace with laminate flooring
    3. Buy Leather sofas
    4. Invest in a good Dyson
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I tick all those boxes. First thing we did when we got Hal was to rip up all the carpets except on the stairs. Leather sofas next, swiftly followed by a Dyson as soon as they were available. Before the Dyson I had a Vorwerk, which was not bad, but nowhere near as good as my trusty ball Dyson!

I do wear black sometimes, but carry a sticky roller around with me!
  4. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    1. check (i even advise visitors not to wear black... those that`ll enter the house with the dogs there.) :lol:
    2. check (laminate and ceramic tiles.. still got strip of carpet on stairs and landing.. but bought one that don`t show up the dog hair.. ) ;-)
    3. check (thankfully these were already in place) :grin:
    4. check (on our 3rd.. lol) :mrgreen:

and don`t buy a car with black carpets.. and turn your garden into a gravel pit if you don`t want it resembling a lunar landscape with almighty mud mountains and bottomless pits.. [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  5. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

You're obviously familiar with our garden then Janie!! You have described it to a T!!
  6. anonymousone

anonymousone New Member

Name:
    n/a
    I have a husky, he blows his coat twice a year when thsts in process i have to hoover every other day, otherwise its like hair tumbleweed floating around the floor it just comes out in chunks for approx 3 weeks, other times i hoover twice a week but the hair is a problem, i would recommend to anyone thinking of getting a husky, make sure you enjoy hoovering cos it gona be your new pastime. And the car wash men have told me their hoover cant get the hair up in my car and maybe i might want to try elsewhere haha,
  7. Wild storm

Wild storm New Member

Name:
    David
    I think people do underestimate how much fur a husky can shed especially in the summer season. I think if people watch a few more videos then it might help.
  8. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    All that dog hair in the kitchen ewwww.

Do it outside and the birds can have the fur for nesting.
  9. Brandykins

Brandykins Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Rosemary
    I filled 3 plastic bags, 2 hours after starting to rake Loki's fur! And the couple thought that there was a lot from that husky!!

Thanks for sharing the clip:)
  10. Malpeki

Malpeki New Member

Name:
    Alexandra
    Hey Brandykins, why not to collect them?
    maybe you could bring a sample to a spinning, for to ask them, if it's possible to spin a yarn of it ;-)

if it's possible just collect more and if you got a few sacks full of it, bring it to the spinning and get your own yarn of it
    so you could knit yourself a very special Utonagan jumper of your own dog :grin:

hey how cool is that? :103:

...or do you think, that's a silly idea :017: :042:
  11. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I've not read the whole thread, but if people thinking of getting a husky see this and think twice because of it then it's served a very useful purpose.

However, there are many dogs who shed as much as that on their own with minimal grooming. My middle GSD, Yiannis, can produce 2 bin liners FULL of fur (packed almost solidly) if he isn't groomed everyday. 3/4 days of no grooming will do that. Whereas my other 2 GSDs produce hardly any excess fur!

Zane blows his coat 2 times a year. Jenzi every time she's in season (every 5 months). Yiannis on the other hand is like a fur producing machine. If ever there was a way to use it to make winter clothes out of, Yiannis would be the perfect dog for it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  12. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Every other day?! I wish! I really am not a clean freak (a 2 and 3 year old daughter and two dogs means I can't be) but I have to Hoover at least once a day, often twice a day! Both my dogs are very short haired but they, and the girls, bring in so much stuff that my floors usually look like someone has burst a bin bag over theM!

P.s. great video and if makes people realise a husky really isn't for them then that's even better!
  13. Teeshka

Teeshka New Member

Name:
    Teeshka
    With my pack I find my self also hoovering once a day minimum , for all the owners of heavy shedders I would really look into purchasing a FURminator. My three have not finished shedding into the summer coats, and it has saved so much time.
  14. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Shedding hair is part and parcel of having a dog..get on with it!
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Ju - this is a year-old thread, so maybe your comment "get on with it" was perhaps a wee bit unnecessary?
  16. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Maybe A bit unecessary Malka, but i hadn't read that thread before so it was new to me and I like to give a comment now and then!no harm done
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    fieldy likes this.
    OK Ju - explanation understood and accepted, so please accept my apologies if I sounded a we bit harsh - no offense was intended. :052:
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    And, of course, if you really don't want to put up with shedding hair - get a poodle!

Then all you've got to do is spend hours grooming it and a fortune having it clipped!
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Don't own a JRT either they shred all year round specially during summer.
  20. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    None taken..I'm still new to this forum and finding my feet!happy to be pointed in the right direction!lol
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    fieldy likes this.
    No problem Ju - Pereg has a short coat but apparently a double one, and she sheds like there was no tomorrow. Short hairs that stick everywhere and there is nothing I can do about it.

She recently blew her coat but that was her tan-coloured rear end , which I ended up hand stripping as she has taken a dislike to all brushes and stripping combs etc, and the rest just ends up here, there, and everywhere.

Such is life with a dog, and you either accept it as a part of living with and loving as I do, and put up with hairs everywhere, or you realise that you really are not a dog lover after all.

I am sure you are a dog lover [I do not think you would be here otherwise] and that, like most of us, you will put up with shedding as a part of what comes with the love of the dogs that honour us by sharing their lives with us.