WARNING - About Huskies!! (Shedding) Videos

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Stormpants, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Absolutely Malka :) is that a picture of your pereg you use with your name?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Any excuse to show off photos of my beloved girl! :007:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Malka likes this.
    Aww she is a beauty and a very happy girl by the looks of it!:)
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you! I am obviously biased but I also think she is beautiful, although unfortunately since the photographs in January she has gained a lot of weight - again, and is on a diet - again. But the weight gain is due to her epilepsy and her medication, and not being able to take her out at the moment does not help much.

But yes, she really is a very happy little girl and of necessity she and I are almost joined at the hip. But just as I help her with her epilepsy, so she helps me and gives me a reason to get up each morning. I guess you could call it a symbiotic relationship in the guise of total and unconditional love.

I have loved all the dogs I have had in my many years on this earth, but Pereg is my heart dog. :049:
  6. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    6JRT's likes this.
    My girls:)
    image.jpg image.jpg
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    They are all beautiful Ju! :)
  8. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    6JRT's likes this.
    image.jpg
    Thanks Malka!Just gave them a bath to cool them down! Only just worked out how to add photos,I'm a real technophobe!:)
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You think that you are a technophobe? When Effie, my computer guy, built my very first computer [which I killed eight months later :oops:] and brought it round and set it up, I had never seen a computer before let alone used one.

I even had to ask him how to switch the thing on!

But by trial and error [and killing computer #1 and drowning a keyboard etc etc etc] I sort of managed to learn things.

But we have gone waaaay off topic now so maybe should better leave this thread and maybe chat on a more suitable section. :)
  10. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Just a heads up for the Husky and Akita owners with regards to shedding. I use powdered Norwegian Sea Kelp in their food, the Akita granted is only 7 months old but her coat went from puppy fluff to full adult in two weeks after I started using it, her coat is shiny as heck now and no hair in your hands when you run your hand from her head to her tail.

Dogs that have a lot of skin folds or loose skin can also benefit due to the iodine content in the kelp, keeps the skin from drying out, flaking and also protects against skin infections and allergies.

The Husky shedding went down about 85% that's no BS, I haven't been able to get a good comb full of his hair for months now. Before it would be an hour of combing him and ending up with a pile of dog hair the same size as the dog. The hair is so healthy it just doesn't fall out.

I've had Husky's for about 10 years, (lost one last November) so I know that shedding becomes a part of your life and yes, there are lint rollers in every room of my house too.

But Its June already and hot as heck outside, his coat is still soft and shiny and healthy looking, and again, no hands full of hair when I run my hand down his back. I've been waiting for him to explode with hair since March but it just hasn't happened.

I got it like 4 months ago on Amazon and it comes with a tiny scoop, slight fishy/beach smell as its seaweed, but no burping or nasty breath to worry about. All my dogs get it in every meal, amounts to feed small dogs is on the bag, like a 1/4 scoop for a dog below 20lb etc.

Honestly I know I sound like a company rep, but this stuff works and after losing a wonderful dog, I'm not taking any chances with the rest. "Could've, would've, and should've" are not the things you want to be left with after they're gone, trust me on that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TR7FU/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Be careful many complete feeds already contain iodine, an overdose can imbalance thyroid function and has been associated with promoting autoimmune thyroiditis
    http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/90858101671/kelp-thyroid#.WTmyqJLyuM9

Growing up mum used to send me out to gather stingy nettles for the dogs, I have used them ever since, they do give them beautiful shiny coats improving colour and growth.
  12. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Interesting read, cheers GsdSlave.

Maybe I'll half the stated dose or drop it to every other day to keep things on the safe side.
  13. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Hey GsDSlave, have you ever run those thyroid tests at the vets, just wondering about the cost?

Luna isn't showing any signs of aggression towards people or dogs, but I think I'd like to know either way, ya know?
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    My vet charges a just over £100 for a full panel, carried out by an external lab. There would probably be a consult fee to add too.
    Eddie's three-monthly in house T3 & T4 test is £30. This is needed because thyroid hormone levels can vary, and the thyroxine dosage may need a tweak for them to stay within the optimum range. His Schirmer tape test to warn of dry eye is an extra £10. As he is due in a couple of weeks, I hope these prices haven't gone up.
    I think you would have symptoms which might lead you to suspect it if there was a thyroid problem. A normal blood test done now is no guide for the future.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @GsdSlave What Fab references. Really concise, I enjoyed reading them.
  17. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    No its not an everyday amount, they probably just waited a while to brush the dog. Its more a short period of time when they are blowing their undercoat which feels like its never going to stop coming out, but it does.

Its very therapeutic for the owner too, I enjoy brushing my dogs, its just another level to connect with them on. And it also tells you if the dog is having any pain issues you wouldn't normally notice and could go untreated.

I have to say though My Husky shedding is minimal these days since I put him on Taste Of The Wild kibble, he used to shed a lot all year round before, now it has stopped until its time to blow it.

Basically all dogs shed, if dog hair bothers you, then I say you're in the wrong business.

Also I've noticed that shedding is worse if the house is always warm, if I keep my house at 69 degrees, my husky's shedding drops. If I have my house too cool in the summer, then I walk outside and it feels like you could touch the sun, the shedding increases. So getting your Husky used to the actual climate outside is a great help in stabilizing shedding times.