Weight of a 5 month old rottweiler? Questions

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Rolo, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Rolo

Rolo New Member

Name:
    Lois

Weight of a 5 month old rottweiler?

Hi
    just wondering, our 5 month old rottie is about 21kg is that under weight?? alot of things on the internet say he should be more?
    Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    i dont have much experience with rottweilers myself but 21 kg sounds fine for a 5month old. you should, as a rule, be able to feel his ribs adequately but not see them too obviously when he is stood. i always think it is better for a growing dog, particularly a large breed like the rottweiler to be slightly underweight than overweight as this is easier on his joints as he grows.-can you post a recent picture-im sure that would help more?
  4. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I would say thats not a bad weight for his age, do you have any photos,

some rotties are quite big at five months others are more slow matureing,.

I would say, dont be tempted to have him chubby, its really not good for the growing bones
  5. Rolo

Rolo New Member

Name:
    Lois
    [​IMG]

not a great one as its from my phone!
  6. Lorna

Lorna New Member

Name:
    Lorna
    awwwwww!!!!!
  7. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    from what I can see in the photo, he looks ok
  8. Rolo

Rolo New Member

Name:
    Lois
    not a great photo sorry! thanks for your advice!
  9. rottalmarotts

rottalmarotts New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree he looks fine, they go through so many stages and there will be times when he looks slightly gangly. Realistically as a male he will continue to mature until he is 3-4 years old
  10. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    People often look at me like im daft when I say vinnie is still a long way from being mature, many people think that because he's 2.5yrs old that hes a fully matured grown dog.:lol:
  11. Nicedog

Nicedog New Member

Name:
    nicedog
    Hi Rolo!

Your rottie looks just great.

With the problems this breed has with hips & elbows its for his best that you don't "overfeed" him. He will eventually gain his weight anyway when he is a mature dog (around 3 yrs).
    The best you can do for your dog is to keep him slim while growing up.

Best wishes for both of you..
  12. Dotty.

Dotty. New Member

Name:
    Dotty
    He is nice dog.
  13. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    I wouldn't go by weight, but by the way the dog looks... Yours look lean, and that's really what you want.. I don't know if this is true of all breeds, but I was advised that the last 2 ribs should be showing... this is on a Great Dane...
  14. Rolo

Rolo New Member

Name:
    Lois
    thanks again guys for all your advice!
  15. heidi05

heidi05 New Member

Name:
    GLO
    hi have a male he will be 2 in april 27th he is huge when i take him to the vets i tried to weigh him last june and the scales turned off at 65 kg, the vet has looked at him and has said for his actual size he is not fat his chest measures at the biggest point round his back as well 52 inches and from the base of his scull to the base of his tail he measures 54 inches when he stands on his back legs he puts his front paws over my hubbies shoulders and washes his hair with his tongue, my hubby is 5ft11 tall the vet says he has never seen one as big as him before, his head is bigger than my hubbies head as well but hes not a greedy dog food is left down all day and he will eat when hes humngry which is usually in the afternoon and eats half a bowl only and may get the odd biscuit later on both of them go through a 15kg bag of beta active in just under three weeks.
  16. wildheart

wildheart New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    realisticly a 2 year old male should weigh around 50 kilos, you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them
  17. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Then continue to try and mature the rest of his life!!!!:005: :044: :044: :044:

I get that too when I say it about Marius - he is so immature in a lot of respects. Even his behaviour is still quite juvenile (but then again he IS male, so I guess it's normal!!!:lol: ) He hasn't finished developing yet, his neck and head seem to grow monthly!!

Last time we weighed Marius at the vets was a few months ago and he was about 48kg, but he has matured a bit since then and filled out more. He is now 25 months old.
  18. NischaySaraogi

NischaySaraogi New Member

Name:
    Nischay
    Hey Everyone. My rotwieler is 4months old and he weighs 15kg for now . I am sooo worried about him. I feel that he is underweight :( it makes me feel sad. I love him soo much and i want that by seeing him people should appreciate him . 4months 15kgs. Is he underweight?