What are Lurchers like? General Chat

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by KRoyle, Aug 30, 2011.

1. KRoyle

KRoyle New Member

Name:
    Kimberley

What are Lurchers like?

Hi, I have browsed the forums on/off for a while but now decided to join up.

I am committing the ultimate betrayal by changing breeds :lol:
    My usual breed of choice is the border collie but as our family is growing and our youngest is still so small (13 months) I just don't have the time for the intensity of a BC.
    After some recommendations on breed, we are picking up a lurcher puppy this thursday :007:
    The other half is very excited as he loves lean, tall dogs and I have to admit i'm rather excited to see the difference between our new pup and a border collie pup. Our puppy is slightly older too as we had to go down south for a few weeks due to a family emergency, he will be 12 weeks on pick up.

Anyone with lurchers or similar please do feel free to enlighten us as to what we should expect :grin: especially one slightly older than the usual 8 weeks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JSR

JSR New Member

Name:
    JACKY
    I was new to lurchers when I adopted Norris, I've got 5 other dogs so certainly not a novice dog owner....but this one certainly tested me to my limits!! I think it depends on what your lurcher is crossed with, Norris is a whippett x beddy but with only a small percentage beddy (the mad bit!!). He was perfect to start with but after a few weeks settling in he chewed everything in sight, screamed when I left the house, recall was (and still is) irratic, HUGE prey drive, and all in all has been very hard to deal with..and I'm speaking as someone who has rehomed some dogs with serious behavioral issues!!

BUT BUT BUT...all this aside, he is the most loving, sweet and gentle dog , the chewing has stopped after a couple of months, he's spotlessly clean and was house trained in a matter of hours not days!! He gets on with other dogs like a house of fire, he's fabulous with kids, 20 minutes exercise and he's dead for the day!!! And I utterly adore the mad fool!!

My lurcher had a bad start in life and didn't come to me until he was 6 months old so hopefully all my experiences will not be the same for you but despite it all I'd do it again because he's one seriously fun, loving and fabulous lunatic!!!
  4. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    My Lurcher Pharaoh is a Saluki/greyhound/pharaoh hound. He was a joy as a pup, quick to train the easy commands to like house training, he was actually never messy in the house and never chewed, though his sister ate her way through a bathroom door and the knobby bits from all the banisters so it's not a breed thing, just him:)... He quickly learned simple commands that gave instant gratification; sit, paw... he never got speak and really never barks even now, (but his sister did). He hates down and will just touch his chest to the floor and leap straight up again if asked... then... that was it... he never learned another command no matter what was tried.

He is a perfect and wonderful dog in all other respects. Cuddly, perfect recall, never had an issue with him running away, he will chase small furries and is NOT safe around cats even though we had a cat in the the house when he was younger, he would ignore Kalicat and then chase all other cats. He only ever caught a cat once however and he dropped it as soon as he picked it up. He did used to kill rabbits and pigeons on a walk when he was younger.

His worst trait as a puppy was he was a terrible counter surfer and thief and he will still tip the bin over and root through if he has any access to it when we're not around.

I would recommend a lurcher to anyone... He is a joy to watch run at full pelt in the field, has a good balance of politely interested and not overly friendly with other dogs and then lazy and cuddly in the house. He loves nothing more than to curl up on the sofa with you for a cuddle in the evening which suits me down to the ground:)

Good luck with your new pup:)
  5. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I dipped my toe into lurchers with the arrival of Corrie, a whippet x bedlington. My early experiences of similar to JSR lol. She was AWFUL at chewing and by far the worst pup I have ever had for it. She chewed a hole in my carpet, chewed my sofa, shoes, toys, books etc etc! She has now calmed down a bit and is a lot more laid back. We never had any problems with leaving her though and was the only dog that I never really crated. The funny thing was, when she was in the kitchen, where we left her when we went out, she was as good as gold. It was when we were in the house she turned into mad dog lol.

She is now 1 and she is brilliant! So laid back around the house and spends most of the time asleep on the sofa. Recall hasn't always been great but getting their and a high prey drive but we want that as we use her for rabbiting.

I would have another one in a flash....but not for a few years lol!

Helen
  6. JSR

JSR New Member

Name:
    JACKY
    Sounds like we both had the same experiences!! I'd always wanted a lurcher and lots of friends had them and would go on about how perfect they are!! When I adopted Norris I asked why he was so naughty compared to their star dogs...and got told 'oh no never get a beddy x whippet lurcher they are devils..'....NOW they tell me!!!!:x :x

Wouldn't change him for the world though, fun in a tiny skinny cuddley body!!
  7. rossi roo

rossi roo New Member

Name:
    petrina
    hi isnt it funny how everyones experiences are diffrent rossi is beddie x whippet he has been pretty easy from the minute we collected him from the breeder he was so easy to house train never messing in the house followed us everywhere still does he is nearly two now , perfect recall he loves to chase but wont let us out of sight he loves to play has many toys & would much rather be chasing his ball to chasing bunnies lol he hasnt chewed anything that he should'nt have he is loyal loving & by far the most wonderful little dog we have ever owned we just love him to bits so i fully recommend lurchers :grin: keep us posted with your new puppy news :lol:
  8. KRoyle

KRoyle New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    Aw brilliant, thank you everyone for sharing!
    Our old border collie was the typical sort, high energy but extremely devoted and very inelligent. It was very easy to teach him tricks and he learned up to 20 that we used regularly.

This time however we want a more independant dog, who is not constantly watching us for any signs of wanting to play. But we still want all the cuddles and love :)

Our Lurcher puppy is:
    Mother: greyhound/collie X saluki/whippet
    Father: greyhound/collie X greyhound/saluki
  9. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    lol. I wasn't told that bit of information about not getting that cross. Like you, wouldn't change her. I am just relieved she has finally calmed down lol.

Sounds like a nice cross. Look forward to seeing photos.

Helen
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Well I have a longdog who was, in my mind meant to be a bull terrier ;) she was a pain as a pup, so much energy! So much stubborness, so much intelligance, so she had the brains to outwit you ;) the back garden became a oval racetrack, she would spend as much time as she could racing round, or winding up the cats, when their growing into their legs their lush, and so funny as their far from the elegant adult they become, both of mine had a good few trips and slips while growing into their legs, some funny, some heart in your mouth, but they do grow into them at their own time, they learn about their speed, conering ability, how to jump properly, how to stop, and more importantly how to avoid people, although their is the odd one who you have to avoid instead ;) but do have the odd accident or mishap as part of their learning curve, most if not all I know of are very clean in the house too, they don't like messing where they live, my other dog Diesel however was a timid puppy, but has grown into a confident adult, who lives to track and flush out small animals, but in five years he's only hurt one animal, I say hurt, he killed it, but be ware that lurchers can go deaf even touching distance away if they want to lol. Diesel was actually the fourth lot of lurchers we looked at when getting another dog, as first we wanted another pup from Honey's litter, then we got a GSD off some gypsies, who had young lurchers I fell for, collie Grey, black and blue merle, couldn't get them away as easily as the GSD though :(, then when we got the GSD a new home (was foster, had too many behavioural problem for a home with two kids under five, another dog and six cats) then we looked at some Beddy lurchers with blue eyes apparently, but they were decided agaisnt coz they had Beddy in, then we saw a ad in the paper for three weeks running, rocked up and Diesel was the only one left bless him, but I do think with hounds you need a sense of humour, you also need to know that they are sprinters who love to play running games, can have high prey drives, and may want to bring dinner home each and every day, or may have a lower prey drive, but will still need watching, espcailly when they hit adult age, but more importanatly, you need to post pics when you get your pup ;).
  11. KRoyle

KRoyle New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    Our new addition Casper! Here he is trying on his harness, a little big lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He is such a sweet docile thing, not a bounder but then he is still settling in. Today he's even more perky and managed a wee and a poo outside, he has also learned sit and leave it! Very impressed with our new family member :grin:

Can you guess what breed he got his ears from :lol:
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    He's gorgeous! You can see the Saluki in him.
  13. wainiyo

wainiyo New Member

Name:
    paul
    Hi
    I have 2 whippet +beddlingtons pups and they are little darlings. 5and half months old, just had to take steps to avoid kennel mate syndrom, otherwise no probs. will look out for your posts
  14. Abbey

Abbey New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    We had dire warnings from many about Beddy x Whippets - ours has been a breeze - toilet trained by 12w, never chewed, recalls to the whistle. Now at 4y 6m he is still the same - the easiest dog we've ever owned...and we've had 12 dogs of our own an over 30 including fosters.
  15. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Aww how cute is he!! You can really see the saluki in him xx

We have a collie greyhound mix (we think) and she has more grey traits then collie so is a very easy dog to own. From what i have read and seen of Saluki's they can be a bit more high strung then greys and a bit more stubbon.
  16. rowanthelurcher

rowanthelurcher New Member

Name:
    john
    Hi,
    We got a lurcher pup (rescue) and is now 14 weeks old, he is fantastic. He is generally very good and we would love to find out what his breed make up is?
    Must try harder at posting photo,s lol