What breed , American Staffie ?. Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Rebelk, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Rebelk

Rebelk New Member

Name:
    Ryan

What breed , American Staffie ?.

Hi All.
    My fiance and I recently got a puppy. When we originally got him, we were told he was a pitbull. But the more we watch him grow and act, he seems more like an american staffie. So would just like some breeders help or even someone with a lot of knowledge and experience in these breeds.

All comments are appreciated!

this is when we first got him
    [​IMG]
    http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Rebelliousk/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjA0LTAwNjExLmpwZw.jpg

Most recent pic of his face
    [​IMG]
    http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Rebelliousk/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI3LTAwODg3LmpwZw.jpg

Most recent pic of him sitting
    [​IMG]

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Rebelliousk/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTA0LTAwMjM1LmpwZw.jpg

Most recent pic of his body
    [​IMG]
    http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i346/Rebelliousk/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTA0LTAwMjM4LmpwZw.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    Same breed, a pitbull and Am Staff can be the same dog, pit bulls in the Sporting arena and amstaff in the ring.
  4. chaospony

chaospony New Member

Name:
    Chaospony
    Exactly :wink:
  5. Rebelk

Rebelk New Member

Name:
    Ryan
    I read on the internet, that difficult to tell apart. But do one of you guys or someone else know what breed he looks like.
    Much appreciated.
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    They are effectively the same breed.
    The akc recognises them as American staffordshire terriers.

Some argue that 'pitbulls' and amstaffs have had separate bloodlines for so long that they are indeed different breeds.. You may in fact register an American stafforshire terrier with both the akc and the ukc (who recognise the American pit bull as a breed).

In reality they are the same.
    This link (which might get removed I don't know) clarifies the apparent differences between them http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061010085827AAk8E8c

Also have a look at [link removed]

I wouldn't have thought you would be able to tell which 'type' your dog fits best until it's older, but either way seeing as it's meant to be the same thing you can describe it however you like!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
  7. Rebelk

Rebelk New Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Well I know they are very similar, I've read even some breeders battle to tell the difference.

I'm only asking now, is coz I found on a dogbreed info thing, that he has the american staffie traits and temperament. So he doesn't really seem pitbull. But I guess we'll only see when he is older.

Thanks anyway.
  8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear New Member

Name:
    Simon
    The only real distinction between them is paperwork and registration to define pedigree. As said before they are really the same dog. In 1936 the AKC registered UKC registered American Pit Bull Terriers as Staffordshire Terriers to distance themselves from the dog fighting connotations of the original name. The American prefix was added in the 1970s to differentiate them from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier when the AKC accepted them as a breed. The UKC used to register AKC registered Amstaffs as APBT until a couple of years ago. If you look at the UKC and AKC dogs, dual registered or otherwise they are for the most part identical. ABDA registered APBTs do look a lot lighter than the other two though.
  9. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    the american pit bull terrier ukc would be bred more to its working background standard , therefore having a wider gene pool and should be a better dog health and mind, the american staffordshire akc would be more towards a perfect looking standard therefore shrinking the available gene pool, maybe not having such a healthy dog in body and mind. but no more the case than any other dogs that are bred to a standard today.

if you take all the clubs ukc to small private and new clubs. there are four pit bulls;

1.staffordshire bull terrier ukc and akc
    2.american staffordshire terrier akc
    3.american pit bull terrier ukc
    4. new breed only just recognised by some new clubs
    american bully

but 2, 3 and 4 could all be american staffordshire terrier akc registerd and apbt ukc registerd
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    :shock: :shock: bit of a sweeping statement there :shock:
  11. dougs85

dougs85 New Member

Name:
    Dougs
    i find that amstaffs are shorter and a lot more stockier than pitbulls, an pitbulls obv being more leaner. but they come in all diff shapes and sizes so its really difficult to tell apart
  12. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    Hi jackbox. I diddnt mean to sweep or be sweeping,not really too sure what sweeping is. But the litlle shocked faces are more easy for me to understand. I wasn't saying that am staffs are sick and mental dogs. Its just that the am staff is being bred more to be a perfect shape of dog because its more of a show dog. Where as its not so importantant for the apbt to be the perfect specimin. Unfortunatly its happening all the time with all breeds to get the perfect show winning dog the gene pool is reduced . That's all I was trying to say. So the ampt may have better traights. Than an am staff. But its all relative. And it was a reply to the original poster who was talking about am staff vs ampt traights
    I would like to how the little pup gets on and develops.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012
  13. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    Just to be clear I'm not saying this pup or am staffs are inbred nutters. I'm speaking in a very general broad and wide manner. I would quite happily have any of the four types as a pet. Apart from the legal thing
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2012