What can people tell me about Viszlas? General Chat

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by x-clo-x, Jan 6, 2010.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

What can people tell me about Viszlas?

i like the look of this breed but dont know much about them?

what are they like to own? :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Which type do you like??

Next to the Boxer , I have more contact with Vissi owners, and one also had CC`s too.

they are a gun dog breed, one that needs plenty of exersice, ) a friend breeds and shows hers , she has 8 :shock: another friend had 4 , another 2, and a few more have numbers ranging from 2 to 6:lol: (btw all smooth haired)

They are an extremely people breed (not unlike the Boxer) some can be fussy eaters and are hard to keep weight on..

They need plenty of exersice and need to keep stimulated, in saying that , with the right amount of exersice they are happy to sleep away a day on the sofa.

They are a sensitive breed, harsh training and harsh words , dont work on them, they need to be involved with their family.

They make wonderful pets , are devoted to their owners, yet can slo do a good days work, (if trained to the gun) know people who work and show them.

A fabulous attractive breed, and one of my fave... btw, I am talking the smooth haired here....

You wil find the smooth v wire type will have their devotees, and dont get inbetween an debate by either owners, on whats the best type.:lol: :lol:

My friend has had 4 litters now I think!! all gone to different type of homes, but all active homes, and all are doing well in their new lives...!!
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i prefer the smooth haired to the wirehaired. just wondered what they are like really because i liked the look of them but didnt really know much about them. thanks.
    As if they have 8! :shock:
  5. RubyR

RubyR New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    I own a Vizsla and would definitely have another one. I love them but due to their sensitivity they are not for everyone. I think Jackbox has given a very accurate summary of the breed.

My own dog has a tendency to be a fussy eater but she seems to have got over this and they have a tendency to be naturally lean dogs. She has been easy to train and needs lots of off the lead exercise. Between walks she is a very chilled out dog and spends most of her time sleeping on the sofa. She is very affectionate and loves human company and will snuggle up to people when she can. She has also been very good with children including young babies, which I think is fairly typical of their gentle nature. As one of the hunt, point, retrieve breeds they can be very keen on chasing rabbits and deer etc when out and about and mine will chase a cat given half a chance.
  6. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    My friend has one, and she is a lovely sweet dog. All the ones I have met have had nice temperaments.
  7. Bandi

Bandi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I have a 10 month old smooth haired one. He loves people, kids, babies and all other dogs. He loves a long walk but will sleep the rest of the day if there's nothing else going on. He hates it if i'm cross with him and "who's done this" shouted at him is enough to let him know he's done wrong. I cannot leave him alone- constant barking and whinning till I come back. I love him loads he's a great dog and a good family dog.:grin:
  8. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I have an almost 5 month old wire. She is brilliant! Very easy to train so far, eager to please. She eats without a problem and is actually a real thief when she gets the chance! When out on walks she stays near, doesn't run off (yet!) and is easy to recall. You can tell when she needs a walk as she gets very antsy and restless but once she's had a quick blast outside she just lies down and goes to sleep. She's not allowed long walks yet as she's only young. I'd definitely have another :) I have no idea if it's true but I have heard that the wire 'version' of any gundog breed tends to be a bit calmer than the smooth coated, but I'm pretty sure that's a generalisation! I think Viz's would take as much exercise as you give but if you had a day where you couldn't manage much they'd be ok with a ball thrown around in the garden or a 20 minute blast.
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    awww i really like them and is definately on my list along with a couple of others. im just trying to figure out how many dogs i can own all in one go lol :grin: how is it to work a dog? i would love to give this a try, as well as showing. i like doing anything dog related lol :roll:
  10. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I do a bit of gundog work with my lab, it's great fun to train! Sika is a bit too young to start any real gundog training with but she is showing real potential in the little I have done with her, she retrieves really well, just doesn't want to give it up yet unless there's a tasty treat in the equation, ha ha! But that's great at this stage of the game. From what I've seen, they love to learn and are very eager to please you, and in Sika's case she loves her treats and will do anything to get one. It all adds up to a very trainable dog. If you want to do a bit of work you could ask breeders if they work their dogs, it might be a bit easier in working bred dogs than show bred dogs but tbh I found that no viz's were too far removed from hunting relatives and a lot of the show dogs work as well :D
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  13. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    We have a Vizsla as well as two Labs, they are a lively breed, sensitive and very energetic busy dogs, they can be a little strong willed also.
    We are at the moment researching into getting another V in the future, they are fabulous dogs, will always have one now :)
    I grew up with Boxers also another good choice ;) good luck with your choice
  14. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Archie

[​IMG]
  15. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Archie is gorgeous, a very noble looking head :D
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Lovely dog, whats his breeding??
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    oh what a gorgeous dog :grin: they are really growing on me. I like the smooth-haired more i think, there will definately be one in my home in the future :grin:
  18. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Thank you we love him to bits...mad as a brush! good luck on your search x
  19. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    your so lucky with your 2 labs! they are my OHs fave dog, and they have grown on me too and can see myself with one of these too :grin: so thats a house full of cresteds, boxers, labs and viszlas, and a few cats thrown in for good measure :grin: :grin: :grin:
  20. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Hi we have a 7 month Viz and are going to work him hes been bred to work and show, working a gundog especially hpr can be quite a challenge don't get me wrong it's great fun but some dogs are hard work to train, vizslas in general probably have more breaks (as in will stop or come back when you want them to) compared to something like my german bred GSP, our Viz wants to work for you much more than my GSP who also has stronger instincts to work.

Harris the viz is as has been said about the breed can be quite sensertive, he can also be a noisy little devil when he wants, hes more lively in the house than my 9 month GSP but hes not at all bad especially for a pup he likes to be warm he often drags his bed out in front of the wood burner cooker which is quite some feat considering the size of the bed. Over all hes a really lovely little dog.
    Seen another viz who lives locally to us though, and its just nuts REALLY hyper don't know allot about it but think that some are madder than others.

Sophie
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010