What could I get for a staffy x english bulldog Controversial

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by Scrap-E, Sep 15, 2010.

1. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    How did you test them and what will you test the pups for.

What about PHPV and PPSC these are not DNA tests
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Who did the tests just out of curiosity ?
  4. wilbar

wilbar New Member

Name:
    Angela
    And who tested the father & have you got the paperwork to prove it?
  5. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    How many times have we seen this statement on here and when push comes to shove. The posting person has not got a clue about these tests.
    I would have more respect to a new poster admitting to not knowing but was willing to learn.
  6. Eddie'smum

Eddie'smum New Member

Name:
    Emma
    It would be nice if they could admit they were planning on making money... as the first post quite clearly asks how much could they get? Surely if they were doing this for the "love" of improving a breed they would have factored in all these costs, e.g. the cost of the vet for the C-Section (which they didn't mention in their original post) The "DNA" tests and then figured out an appropriate sum accordingly? :roll: :lol:
  7. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Agree with both of you,
    Leadstaffs it makes me smile DNA tested for all conditions,you and I both know there isn't a DNA test for PHPV or PPSC and you can get one of two results, it's not the same as L2/HC whereby you can get one of three results.
    Plus if the bitch is clear then why would you want to DNA test the puppies when there really is no need for it,which again proves the OP doesn't really have a clue and is more interested in the cash such a litter would bring in.
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    thankyou. But then, I am a smartass! :mrgreen:

I wonder if the pups will be sold at a reduced rate if they don`t pass the tests? BOGOF maybe?
  9. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    There are Bulldogs already out there in the USA look up Gargoyles kennels, you wouldn't and couldn't get a more athletic Bulldog than those!

http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omenx.html

So I really don't understand the point of this cross!
  10. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Neither do I Nicci,
    what do Bulldogs suffer from ?
  11. borderladysue

borderladysue New Member

Name:
    SUZANNE
    OMG just looked on this sight, what magnificent animals my heart skipped when i saw them.:shock: i will have to go back and get another fix
  12. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Heart problems, Eye Problems (Entropion, Ulcers of the cornea, Cherry Eye) Elongated Soft Palate and other airway disorders, Sleep Apnea, Sore Wrinkles, Allergies, Cruciate Ligament, Tail Problems, Elbow and patellar dysplasia & attacks of Mange!

No health tests as such for the Bulldog, just need a certificate of health from your vet, though some breeders do screen for heart problems now :grin: (Not sure about USA though).
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I love gargoyle bulldogs ...
  14. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    Fine Bulldogs, he's very reputed too, only heard good things said about Gargoyles :grin:

I believe there to be one or two already over here :D
  15. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    ... oh dear :roll: :roll: :roll:
  16. Scrap-E

Scrap-E New Member

Name:
    E
    She is not a money machine, but I know that people generally will take care of things that they have to pay for. If I was just looking for money I would have bred her long before now. We love her and want to keep a puppy. She is good natured and good with our kids and we feel her temperment and great health make her an excellent choice for breeding.
  17. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    I would maybe have believed that if the first question you hadn't been how much you could get for them and then you lied about the health tests done.
  18. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    In that case why have you not anwsered the above ?
    You don't know she's healthy though do you ?
  19. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    that is fair enough, but your question was how much money could you get for them... so, money obviously plays an important part to you or you wouldnt come on here and ask.

if she is great for breeding, then why not breed her with another staffy? provided she is actually health tested.
  20. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    I'm sure you do love her, but of all dogs to put her across you use a Bulldog, which could make the birthing process even harder than what it would have originally been had you used a Staffy :roll: All the reasons you mention are NOT great reasons to be breeding a dog, it's called kennel blindness - you may think you have a great dog and that may be the case, but other than yourselves, whom else have you presented her to, to ask whether she is a good example of her breed ? I'm sorry but the thread title says What could I get for a staffy x english bulldog ?

And the only answer to that is, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay and in todays climate no one has that much money, so I'd say substantially a lot less than a Pedigree Bulldog or Stafford - you have a crossbreed which you are probably looking at around $245 at a push which is just over £156 (and that's being rather generous), which would probably not even cover you're expenses of getting medical treatment for mum & rearing and medical treatment for puppies (If they need it), you could indeed end up with all of the puppies having to stay with you, people either want a Bulldog or a Stafford, there is no inbetween, folks are fickle and either drawn to one or the other.

There is so much that could go wrong with this breeding, mum could die, whelp puppies (which will be hard going for her) with Anasarca (Water/Walrus puppy syndrome) just sounds like you have ill thought out what sounded like a fabulous plan..

More info on Anasarca http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=124286&id=102462&com=3&animal=0&lang=2

Recreation Bulldogs have been around a long time, you should have looked into this before you went ahead with this breeding as they are indeed worth substantially more than what you have. Sadly that isn't what you have and it will take generations to go down that road if that is what you indeed want to do, it takes years, not just a one off random breeding.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  21. Scrap-E

Scrap-E New Member

Name:
    E
    She has been checked and given a clean bill of health. She is our pet a member of our family, only an idiot would not have their pet checked. We started with her, but my husband wanted an english bulldog... he checked into all the health problems they have and thought that the cross would make for a healthier version. I am sorry if you have a problem with that, but then that would be YOUR problem.