What is the Color Type of my Border Collie? Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Marcelo, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Marcelo

Marcelo New Member

Name:
    Marcelo

What is the Color Type of my Border Collie?

Hello everyone

I have this Border Collie with around 8 months now, and I always assumed it was a Blue Merle. But looking at his fur under the sun I can see some brown / dark brown spots. Looking over the internet I found this showing many different Border Collie colors and looks like mine would fit into the Red Merle Piebald or Tricolor Blue Merle. Would anyone know what color type does my fit into? His pedrigee says Blue Merle...

Rare Border Collie Colors & Patterns - Merle, Slate, Sable & More! (spiritdogtraining.com)

His brown fur is very dark, I edited the photos in order to make it easier to spot. I forgot to groom his before the photo :p

Thanks =)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Marcelo likes this.
    If he has brown patches then technically he is a tricolour merle. Often some colours only appear after the dog has been registered so that is probably why he was registered as a blue merle.
    I used to have Löwchen, a breed that is known for colour changes. My black and silver was reg as a black and gold, and my black and white parti was actually a cream brindle parti. People in those breeds accept that the registered colours may not be correct by the time that the adult coat comes through.
  4. Marcelo

Marcelo New Member

Name:
    Marcelo
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for the reply, and it makes sense. I noticed the brown patch only after a few months. Its clearer under the sun, and obviously I’ve seen him under the sun many times in the meantime.

Thanks for the help