What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Good job its not next week, Crufts would probably have to cancel.

Its' been snowing here since 3.30 pm non stop, blizzard conditions, with the wind making it drift, it’s just started to turn to sleet but its still freezing.

Luckily we have enough food to keep us going, as we can’t get out of our road.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, a few saying they are glad it is this week, not next.
    I had to go out because I was short of the essentials - whisky and cheese bread!
    All's right in the world now.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Nothing like a wee hot toddy on a winter's night :023:
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I call having to put up with electric storage heaters but remember vividly ice on the inside of the windows, bundling the kids up in goodness knows how many layers to go to bed with plenty of blankets on top of them. Having to get up to feed them and getting back under the covers as quickly as possible to save from freezing.

I suppose the difference from then to now was that everything was within walking distance as most didn't have cars and the big supermarkets were a thing of the future.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    That is true Chris. We had a local grocery shop, (for Local People!), just around the corner. You lodged your order book midweek, and the goods were delivered in time for the weekend, - and after the weekly pay day. The grocer knew everybody's preferences, how thick they liked their bacon, well or paler baked bread etc.
    There was also a haberdasher, a butcher, a greengrocer, a newsagent, and a hairdresser/barber. The catchment area was small by present day standards, so our parents must have had to pay more for the convenience, but as you say, they saved on the cost of running a vehicle.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    When I had my youngest, I came out of hospital on Christmas Eve. Our local shop just up the road brought a box full of stuff I normally buy and dropped it off because they knew I wouldn't feel up to going shopping. Dropped off with a "pay next time you're in". It was a lovely thing to do and will never be forgotten.

The house was spotless when I walked in. I couldn't believe it until I opened a cupboard and came across where hubby had stuffed everything out of sight :)
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Well it was quite a storm last night, umpteen power cuts to boot, woke up this morning and the ‘snow is GONE just a few odd patches left, back to usual rain and gale force winds.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have just been catching up on the UK online newspapers - and it looks horrific. I hope everyone is OK and are able to keep warm - and be well stocked up with food.

It looks so frightening to me - and because I do not know where everyone is and now bad the situation is where you all live, I worry even more. Not that it does not distress me seeing people being stuck in cars and - and everywhere.

Please, everyone, keep safe. Keep warm if you can. And make sure you have enough food for your bubbies and yourself.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hubby has just ventured out to Tesco because we're about out of bread and milk ran out yesterday. Been told they have cleared the main road, but there are ice patches. Me? I'm staying locked inside until the white monster has cleared off. The wind is now the beast. Roads close to the seafront are under a lot of sand and trees have come down in town. The winter is certainly going out with a bang this year. Another flood warning this morning. So far so good on that front. Although the sea has come right up to the promenade, it hasn't breached so far. More snow forecast tonight.

Butlins have a 90s weekend on this weekend. Right up to last night is said it was still going ahead then this morning said it was cancelled and they wouldn't be taking on arriving guests. Now that just ain't fair. Most of those people will already be on their way only to be turned away when they get here after some horrendous journeys at a guess.

There have been some remarkable acts of kindness reported. Farmers have been out all night trying to clear the roads, 4 x 4 drivers have been taking medical staff into work and helping out those stuck in their cars in snow drifted roads. It restores your faith in humanity
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bitterly cold and really high winds, but some of the snow is going, and leaving the roads completely dry - Chas says it must be freeze drying it. We took the dogs to the country park this morning. Bleak is the only word to describe it, some drifting on the tracks, and half a giant pine tree down over one footpath. One smart soul has cut an archway through it - very picturesque!
    Several more shows have been posted as either cancelled or postponed on Dog Show Central's f'book page, but no news on Sunday's Beagle show. Still watching and waiting, will only travel if it's safe - especially as OH now has a cold!
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ah well. West Mercia Beagle Club postponed till 1st. April.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Is that the Beagle show that was supposed to be on Sunday? PLEASE do not risk going out just for a show, especially now your OH has a cold - and both of you have only recently had that bug or virus or whatever it was.
    We do not get problems with snow but we do get regular booklets from the Home Guard as to what to always keep in stock in case of nasties closing things down. I do not eat much bread but always make sure I have wholegrain crackers which I put in Lock'n'Lock containers. And because I only drink soya or almond milk, I get packs of dried. I even have dried egg. Shades of being a war baby!

Yes I have the macolet across the road but going back to the Gulf War when deliveries could not be made as the drivers had been called up - it made me realise that the first five days there was only what was in the nearest macolet [I was living in Ashqelon at the time] and nothing could be delivered when it started. So we regularly get these booklets to make sure we are prepared for "just in case" situations.

I feel really sorry for the people looking forward to the Butlins weekend - just for it to be cancelled at the last minute. What is supposed to happen to the guests who turned up not knowing it had been cancelled?
    It certainly does.

Keep warm everyone - I know I do not need to say please look after elderly and alone neighbours, because I know you will.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I suppose the Butlin's guest will have either returned home or booked into an hotel. Very poor customer relations though even if they have said they will give a full refund. The funny thing is, all winter I've kept the freezer stocked with bread and essentials and, sod's law, I was just running down a bit. That'll teach me not to jump the gun :)
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Makes me wonder how Mother coped with us twins and an older sister without even a refrigerator [back to memories of WWII again]. No telephones either. And of course everything was on ration then.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Rained most of the morning, now we have blue sky with some cloud and SUNSHINE
    What a difference a day makes.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do hope you do not end up with flooding - the online newspapers are now going on about as the snow goes, so will the floods come.

All I keep thinking now is please keep warm, and now please keep dry. And horrible threats of gas running out.
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    We have been very lucky, the snow had mostly gone yesterday morning, now all gone and roads clear as if we never had any.
  19. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Despite a covering overnight, we are thawing nicely. The roads are thankfully clear except the side roads and they are thawing slowly too. Sand is going to be a problem for the powers that be as there seems to be half the beach on the village green.

In the old days, Juli, we bought a load of bread in the bad weather and shoved it in the pantry. When it started going hard, we toasted it and when it ran out we had to wait until the next lot hit the shops. We also had more bakeries who could usually supply when the big bread brands couldn't deliver
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Glad you are OK Vee - I hope everyone else is. And I hope nobody is short of bread, milk or necessaries. Because I do not know whether the red tops are exaggerating or not.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Mother used to bake bread - whole grain - but I have no idea how or where she got the make-up do came from. I do not think we had big brands in those days - I think I must be very old now because we just did not have those things, or deliveries. So how did we survive?

I guess we did not know anything different.

Just looking at empty shelves in supermarkets, on various online newspapers, people panicking but we survived.

There were no supermarkets in those days, were there, But those of us who were born then, we survived, and I do not think that snow had much to do with it.