What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    We NEVER get snow. Thank God. But it did get down to 52 degrees. I thought I was going to freeze to death.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    We had half an hour's snow this morning. First and hopefully the last we'll see this winter :). Got to town for our usual walk and the sun was out and not too cold - go figure.

Fed up of winter now. Very soon will be spring though. Let's hope the wet weather lets up and all the affected flooded areas get a good chance to dry out. There are some devastating scenes out there where rivers have burst their banks. Time we started dredging again now we are out of the EU and allowed to do so
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It's cold and sunny here, with intervals of wind, hail, and snow, though nothing is sticking. It is so sad for those in the flooded areas who have been forecast yet more rain for today.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Been lovely here today NO rain and lovely sunshine, i even managed to spend a few hours in the garden:041:

Forecast for tomorrow is yellow warning for strong winds and rain.:cry:
  6. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Dear GSDSlave:
    I wish I had listened to you about putting my gsd in his safe kennel at night. I got talked out of it.
    Yesterday max (now Hans) put a tooth through her finger. My wife was giving him a dog biscuit. He lunged, grabbed it and her finger. Blood, fear, and sadness followed. I took his collar, said “no” and put him in his cage. That’s where he spent the night.
    I considered euthanasia. But wife says “no! I’m just keeping away. Well, we’ve got things to work on. But he will be sleeping in his cage from now on. It’s his safe place, and he goes in there to take a naps on his own with the cage door open.
    Just thought I’d let you know I should have listened to you!
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry to butt in but, @Old Was the bite malicious? I ask as my elderly Beagle boy managed to put a tooth through my thumb a few weeks ago. Like Hans, he was taking a treat - but with rather too much enthusiasm! To be fair, I don't have as much collagen in my skin as I used to have, and it is more easily damaged. Apart from, 'Ouch, Gently', I let it pass, but made sure to include a few Taking Things Gently exercises over the following couple of weeks.
    Of course, if this was an intentionally malicious bite, it is worrying, but if it was an accident, maybe some grab inhibition exercises might help.
  8. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Hope everything is alright and the damage wasn't too severe? As @CaroleC said, it may just have been too much enthusiasm! Whenever I give mine or any dog a treat, I make sure they're sitting first off, (I get my little man to give me one paw then the other). And then make a fist with my thumb on top of my first finger, so when I have the treat there, there's less risk of an accidental finger bite.
  9. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    It was “I want that cookie! I’m gonna take it!”! I’m sure it wasn’t an attack. But it was a little more than a normal accident.
    He has accepted me as his leader....I don’t know what his dog brain thinks of my wife. She had just started to form a tentative bond with him. Things were going too well. He had turned the corner with training. He was acting so much better. We really thought he was under control. Apparently not so much.
    We are very sad about this.
    And, no we’re not giving up..........yet!!
  10. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    It was a little malicious. He saw the cookie, wanted it and grabbed it, hard and fast. So “worrying” is probably a good descriptor.
    Hope your thumb feels better.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Chris and CaroleC like this.
    You have to teach him to take things gently, if mine went to snatch they didn’t get it until they took it gently.

He is still a young dog and needs training /exercise every day, I admire you for taking him on and I know you love him but if you feel he is too much then it might be best to rehome him with an experienced owner, rather than considering euthanasia.
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    This gsd was absolutely out of control when we got him. Now, depending on his mood, he knows how to follow commands. I would give him up in a skinny minute if I knew he wouldn’t be beaten or mistreated. He’s the kind of dog that brings stubborn to a new level.
  13. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Plus he is only scary around my wife.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Chris like this.
    I really doubt he is being stubborn, it takes a lot of practice, many repetitions in all sorts of environments to have a dog that will be totally reliable.
    I’m sure your trainer friend could help you find a suitable home for him.
  15. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    My wife begged me not to euthanize him. We’ll give it a few more days. My trainer is having medical problem with a premature birth. Not him, his wife. So I’m on my own.
    Thanks though.
    What a life
  16. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    It’s strange, Hans doesn’t lunge
    Well....Looks like we’ll keep him. I wish I knew how to stop him getting so ugly when the wife encroaches on his nap place. It’s the only place he has lunged and bitten. Why just my wife, what is my gsd thinking? I can do anything to him. She can’t even walk past him. He comes to her bedside to pet him all the time. It is just the walk by. Maybe something about her disabled gait.
    I will spend more time with the repetition. And of course, he’ll be sleeping in his kennel. He likes it. I’m not experienced with gsds so I’ve made a lot of mistakes. And with my luck, he is a wild one. Wish me luck, and thank you and other members for listening to me whine and giving me encouragement.
  17. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Rats- I thought I sent you a post!
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    After a few glorious spring-like days winter is back with a vengeance and my ears are cold. :mad:

[​IMG]
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sunny but feeling cold.