What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sunny with blue skies and wisps of cloud this morning. The rain started dead on 12 noon and continues ...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bleak ! Wet with dense fog.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I wish I could
    [​IMG]
    that
    [​IMG]
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    We got absolutely drenched this morning. It rained heavy during the night too. Of course, when we got home the rain stopped :).

Still warm enough though although it is starting to feel like early autumn now.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    9088A4F8-B276-434D-8D4F-4AECC4623E4E.jpeg I found this burnt leaf in my yard almost 3 weeks ago when the fires started, it must have drifted at least 8 miles to get here. You could smell the smoke on it. 8CEDCF98-1880-4762-89DB-E20BC0E0096F.jpeg 4AFD2966-2591-461F-8FB5-BC66ED90DA3E.jpeg Ashes on my truck, this also was almost 3 weeks ago
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have been thinking of you Marc and hoping you were not too near the wildfires. I remember you saying something about being able to smell the smoke the last time there were the terrible fires.
  9. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    ermmm... didnt catch where you live... Your burnt leaves and ashes sound pretty hardcore....
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Andrew - Marc is in California.
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    it’s not just smelling the smoke, it makes the air quality really poor. It’s not so bad today, very faint hint in the air, some days you just had to stay inside. The fire near me, as of today is 86,500 acres and 68% contained. This is day 20. It’s sweltering hot out, I feel for the firefighters today in this heat, with all the gear the have to wear.

I think almost 1000 homes destroyed. At the peak some 60-70,000 people had to evacuate their homes. The larger portion of those have been able to return home now.

I can see the tree branches moving in the breeze outside, that can’t be helpful along with the current 106 degree temperature.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Almost 9pm and it’s now cooled off to 87 degrees. I had humus and crackers for lunch and looks like I’ll be having a sandwich for dinner so as not to create anymore heat inside. It’s also 87 degrees inside with windows open and fans drawing air through
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That sounds ghastly Marc. According to the BBC online:
    I had an alert on my computer that a group of firefighters from Ashqelon went to Sacramento to help - [I get a google alert any time Ashqelon is mentioned in the media anywhere in the world, as that is my nearest town and where I used to live before I moved to the Moshav.]

https://www.kcra.com/article/israeli-fire-crews-join-against-california-wildfires/33844149

The Hof Ashqelon area has been hit by fires from the incendiary balloons sent from the Strip, but as the prevailing wind comes from the sea, ie from the west, the balloons miss us as the Moshav is a few km north of the areas that are hit.

Keep safe Marc, and hugs for Bandit and Katie Mae.
  14. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    There are numerous fires all over the state of California.
    It’s too hot to hug the dogs...
    currently 81.5 outside and 85 inside, at 1:15 am my time Overnight last night the house cooled off to 76 but it probably won’t even cool off that much outside tonight. Tomorrow it’s supposed to get up to at least 100. These temperatures are extremely hot for this coastal mountain range at this time of year, particularly unusual is it not cooling off at night.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I hope it will soon be cool enough for you to hug the dogs for me - and cool enough for yourself. I am so grateful to have a/c [so is Tikva - she rushes out to p&p and rushes in again before she burns her paws].

Incidentally, someone on the Moshav has an Akita - a white one. I have seen it being taken out on Shabbat for a few weeks now but it was not close enough for me to make sure, but with the help of my kiddie's spy-glass [usually only needed to see who threw stones at Tikki] I could see it clearly this last Shabbat, and it is definitely an Akita. I have no idea who owns it or how long they have had it, but I only first noticed it a month or so back and it is a fully grown adult, not a pup.

Taking any dog out in the heat of the afternoon is not my idea of fun for the poor dog, let alone one with a coat like an Akita.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh Marc, the weather forecast - I think it was for the Sacramento area - has just been replayed on the BBC lunchtime news programme, and it sounded so scary. Do take care and make a plan for getting out if the wind direction is towards you.
    Crazy weather - over 100° temperatures, and the possibility of snow!!! I'm guessing you would welcome that. Certainly puts Covid on the back burner. Please take care, and keep letting us know that that you are OK.
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I can’t imagine what it must be like, it must be devastating for all affected.
  18. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Another hot one. I was at work today, covering for someone who went out of town but my thermometer said it got up to 106.5. It’s currently 85.5, at 8:15 pm. Inside was 90 when I got home. Have fans on and windows open but I don’t think it’s going to cool of that much tonight. This morning the house had cooled down to 81.5 with windows open all night and fans on. I picked up some dinner on the way home so I don’t have to cook tonight or tomorrow
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It just seems to get hotter for you - when does it usually start to cool down there? It must be so uncomfortable for the dogs as well as for you.

Enjoy your meal - I hope it is something nice.
  20. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Seems like tonight will be better. It is 74 outside and 83.5 inside, at 11:30 pm, but it is dropping. Will take awhile as the interior of the house has absorbed a lot of heat.

Juli, are you asking what time of year or time of day it cools off? What’s happening now is very unusual at this time of year here. Even if it gets warm during the day we usually cool off at night, as the coastal temperatures crawl up the valleys.

My dinner was nice, some sesame noodles (to which I added tahini and hot sauce) and some spicy tofu. I ate a lot so what’s left is more a snack.

The dogs noticed it was cooler outside and had some zoomies in the yard and we played fetch for a bit. Bandit is now panting again and Katie Mae is quietly sleeping.

I just looked and tomorrow is only supposed to get up to 91 and the better news is that it might cool off to 60 overnight, tomorrow night.
  21. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Sounds like a total nightmare....