What is the weather like there? General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Azz, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Both - I did not word it correctly. Idiot me surfaced early so got up to finish some things on the computer, realised I was still half asleep so went back to bed and did not surface again until way past 11am - and I have only just gotten de lazy dawg up as she was still asleep.
    I really must try tofu as Shufersal sell different sorts but I will have to google to find out the differences and how to cook them. Have to translate what is on the packages first though as even though I can get the website in English [on Chrome], they just give the name of the product and a picture of the package. Maybe you and @CaroleC can give me some tips.
    91°F sounds reasonable and 60°F overnight sounds positively cold to me at the moment, as my bedroom a/c is set on 26°C [78.8°F] as any higher and it will be impossible to sleep. I have to switch that one on about 8pm in order to cool my bedroom down for when Tikva asks to go to bed.

I hope it does cool down for you Marc - it must be so difficult with just fans but I know you are off-grid so a/c would not be possible for you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @who owns who Yes hot, hot, hot, but, thank goodness, it sounds as if the scary forecast did not materialise.
    Stay safe.

@Malka I have never managed to produce anything that I would rave about from tofu. I'm afraid I'm not a very imaginative meal planner.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It did cool down overnight and I got my house all the way down to 70 this morning when I closed the windows because it had gotten smoky. Today only got up to 86. The sun has been a very ominous yellow all day from all the smoke high up in the sky.

As of this morning it was 82% contained and they were sending some of the fire crews to other parts of the state where they are more needed. Beyond the 925 homes destroyed and around 100 damaged there has been around 175 commercial buildings destroyed as well (there have been many more homes and businesses destroyed by fire all around the state of California). I’d bet the stores are selling out of refrigerators too. People were evacuated from between 1.5 and 3 weeks, with power out lots of places. People came home to lots of rotten food in their fridge.
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    It sounds absolutely horrendous Marc.

Please stay safe
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The fire in my area is pretty well contained but with all the fires up and down the west coast a huge amount of smoke and ash has risen into the atmosphere giving the sun a very odd and ominous color. When my alarm went off this morning it seemed too dark for the time. The sun is obscured. Throughout the day it got darker and by 2 o’clock it was getting very dark, as if it was dusk. By 4pm you’d have thought it was nighttime. Really strange and unnerving. Very apocalyptic. It never warmed up today, only getting to 63.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    How strange that must feel - and how nasty it must smell. Do the masks you wear for Covid reasons help to keep the smoke smell out? It must seem overpowering to the dogs with their heightened senses.
    I hope for you the threat is now over, and you will stay safe. So sad for the folks who are losing their property.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am glad your area is OK now Marc but it is so very sad for those who have lost their homes. The darkness and sudden drop in temperature sounds absolutely horrible, and the smoke must be so bad for everyone's lungs. Was it this bad when there were all the fires last time?

Keep safe and keep well, and when Bandit and Katie Mae would like it please give them a hug from me.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    It’s not smoky now, the ash etc is high up in the atmosphere. I’ve never seen anything like this before but I’d imagine something similar happens from a large volcano eruption. It seems dark again this morning.

It has cooled off so the dogs are getting hugs again
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    F12B927C-1E7E-4947-A406-07DF855BAF2B.jpeg That’s the sun
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is really terrible, it must be awful for everyone.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Your orange skies have been shown on our news today. Very eerie. I hope your air quality improves soon.
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Air quality is ok, that’s all the ash up in the atmosphere blotting out the sun

I’m sure there’s lots of places with bad air quality but it’s ok where I am today
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not watch television although I am sure it has been well reported, but today's BBC Online News has some horrifying reports and pictures of orange skies - and it looks like Oregon is now being hit badly. It has been a bad, bad year for everyone and it is far from over.
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    It is smoky today with AQI of 175
    It’s supposed to be worse the next two days
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I do hope it does not get worse Marc - from what I have been reading it sounds like almost the whole west coast is affected now. Such a tragedy.
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Cold, wet and windy.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think it is maybe getting a bit cooler but as I do not go outside I am not sure what it is like there. I still have to have the a/c on in the salon during the day and in my bedroom during the night, also in the kitchen if I am doing anything in there but not all the time. Only on 26°C though, no cooler. And I have not needed to put it on in the back room for the last few days, so hopefully my next electricity bill will be a bit lower than the last one was.
  19. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    No mucking about with your weather report..... I think they should do it like that on tv....
  20. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Ermmm... Cool wet with bright spells.....
  21. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Blowing up a storm. Absolutely throwing it down with rain and can only be described as filthy this morning